Podcast metadata issue - tracks not showing up in Subsonic

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

ajkessel

Podcast metadata issue - tracks not showing up in Subsonic

Post by ajkessel »

I've noticed a peculiar issue with 4.1.0.1685. I am subscribed to several podcasts through MM; I use MM to re-tag and then the files are copied to my local Subsonic streaming music server. Since switching to 4.1 test builds, the tracks no longer show up in Subsonic. This was never a problem with 4.0 and earlier. So there must be something with the way Subsonic is tagging or otherwise formatting these files that is causing breakage with Subsonic.

To test the situation, I retrieved one of these podcasts with wget and manually tagged it with a command-line id3v2 tag editor (namely 'id3v2'). That file works fine and shows up in the Subsonic track list.

When I get the same podcast track downloaded and tagged via MM 4.1, Subsonic never sees it. I even tried wiping the tags and replacing them with id3v2--still no luck. So the difference seems to be something MM is doing when it is downloading the track initially, and after that the only way I can get it to appear in Subsonic is to convert it to a WAV file and re-encode. (again, this was never an issue before 4.1).

I'm not seeing any useful errors in Subsonic log files.

I realize this is an obscure issue but it may suggest something deeper going on with encoding podcast tracks that will impact other users.

Happy to share sample tracks offline to help troubleshoot.
Ludek

Re: Podcast metadata issue - tracks not showing up in Subson

Post by Ludek »

Thank you for reporting, tracked as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11757 to find/clarify because it could indicate a tagging regression that should be considered as release stopper.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I'm Unable to replicate on Windows installation, It will take some time to do testing and setting on QNAP (No native support but workarounds)

I tested with http://feeds.feedburner.com/Mixfreaks?format=xml and had no issues.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ajkessel

Post by ajkessel »

For what it's worth, two feeds I had trouble with were This American Life and Storynory.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Can you give me URL for them (in PM if they are Private) Also you haven't posted What version of Subsonic you use? I tried both with 4.8 and 4.9

Also Have you tried with Windows Version?
Best regards,
Peke
ajkessel

Post by ajkessel »

The three most recent TAL episodes all failed for me when processed through MM but not via wget. E.g. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... /good-guys

I'm using subsonic + musiccabinet 0.7.24.

MM on Windows 7 64-bit, subsonic on a Debian box.
ajkessel

Post by ajkessel »

Same problem with the most recent This American Life episode, just posted:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... the-middle

(download link will work for a few days)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Unfortunately whatever I do I can't replicate.

I subscribed to http://feeds.feedburner.com/Storynory?format=xml and http://feeds.thisamericanlife.org/talpodcast with MMW and subsonic 4.8 imported tracks correctly.
Best regards,
Peke
ajkessel

Post by ajkessel »

Sorry, I should be more specific about exactly what I'm doing. After receiving the TAL podcast in MM, I make some metadata edits, specifically I change the "kind" from "podcast" to "music"; and I change the album artist and artist from "Chicago Public Media" to "Chicago Public Radio"; I set the track number to be equal to the episode number.

If you like, I can send you two mp3's of the most recent episode -- one tagged with MM that won't show up in Subsonic, and one that I retrieve with wget and tag at the command line with id3v2 that works fine.
ajkessel

Post by ajkessel »

Narrowing the issue -- I *think* it only occurs when I change the "kind" of the track from "podcast" to "music".
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

ajkessel wrote:Narrowing the issue -- I *think* it only occurs when I change the "kind" of the track from "podcast" to "music".
That doesn't update the tag though, 'Type' is a database only field.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
ajkessel

Post by ajkessel »

But doesn't the "kind" setting impact how the other metadata tags are written? It certainly changes the metadata dialog box.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Yes but only for Library, you need to change genre Tag also not to have podcast.
Best regards,
Peke
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I just checked on the latest beta and just changing Type didn't update the Timestamp (which would indicate any tag writing) on the file. Thus merely changing Type should have no affect on how other programs deal with the file as nothing changes in the file.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Also in Tools -> Options -> Library -> tags and playlists you need to have update tagstamp enabled.

To clear things even more when changing type actual tag format is not changed but merely MMW UI presentation of TAG eg. Properties dialog is arranged to show different order of tag fields due the their importance for that file type like Composer for classical music or instead of Album an Podcast is listed when using podcast type. But in tags Metadata field names are same and defined by metadata standard.

Maybe it would be good that you send same file but one written in MMW and one with Command line so that I can compare what tags are actually written.
Best regards,
Peke