Autotag From Filename (Comment Field) [#16903]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

JoeChinnici

Autotag From Filename (Comment Field) [#16903]

Post by JoeChinnici »

I think this is the right place to post this. I believe it is a bug, and can't find a resolution anywhere.

If I have something entered in the Comment field, and do an Auto-Organize Files, I can put <Comment> in the filename and whatever is written in the Comment field will go into the filename, as it should.

The problem arises when I try to do the opposite. If I try to Autotag From Filename and use <Comment>, nothing goes into the Comment field. It appears that it wants to work as it does not give me an error. For example, if I use <Commen> without the T, or any other odd spelling, it will shift everything around and mess everything up because it doesn't recognize <Commen>. But as soon as I correct it to <Comment>, everything lines up and works. Again, the only problem is, it doesn't actually put the information into the Comment field.

Does anyone have any ideas what can be causing this, or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Joe
JoeChinnici

Re: Autotag From Filename (Comment Field)

Post by JoeChinnici »

The same goes for <Rating>. If I give something 4 stars, and do Auto-Organize, it will put 80 in the filename (each half-star is worth 10 points). But when I try to Tag From Filename and use the 80 to tag <Ratings>, it doesn't work.

Help!
Peke

Re: Autotag From Filename (Comment Field)

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
JoeChinnici

Re: Autotag From Filename (Comment Field) [#16903]

Post by JoeChinnici »

Pavie, thank you for adding this bug report.
JoeChinnici

Post by JoeChinnici »

Hi Peke,

I've been looking forward to MediaMonkey 5, and to see these two tagging issues fixed. I just downloaded and installed 5. It looks really great so far, and I'm excited about it. But sadly I see that neither of these tagging issues were fixed. Just wondering if there is a timeline on when these will be fixed.

Thanks,

Joe Chinnici
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The current target is MediaMonkey 5.1. MediaMonkey 5.0.2 is in production at the moment.
JoeChinnici

Post by JoeChinnici »

Excellent. Thanks Lowlander, as long as I know it's coming, I'm happy.
JoeChinnici

Post by JoeChinnici »

Hi Guys (Lowlander & Peke),

I've been messing around with this quite a bit, and I believe I have figured out a bit more that might help.

Auto-Organize Files: You can pretty much store any field into the filename by simply typing <fieldname>.

Auto-Tag From Filename: This does not work the same. There are many fields that will not populate from the filename. If you go into the Auto-Tag From Filename window and right click on the column header, you will see the list of columns you can add to the view. It appears these are the only fields that you can use for auto-tagging. If the field doesn't appear on that list, you cannot auto-tag. Ideally, it would be perfect if you could auto-tag every and any field.

Thanks, and I hope this helps.