Special characters in file name

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

DigitalManDan

Special characters in file name

Post by DigitalManDan »

Noticed that when I have an mp3 file with a special character such as "This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody).mp3" in a playlist, MediaMonkey changes the character and cannot locate it. When I right click the song file inside Media Monkey and look at the properties it shows "This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody)". I'm running Windows 10 64bit and MediaMonkey Gold 4.1.9.1764.
Lowlander

Re: Special characters in file name

Post by Lowlander »

No such issue here. Can you detail more on what steps are involved?
DigitalManDan

Post by DigitalManDan »

1) I create a new Test.m3u playlist file
2) I add a single entry in it

D:\Music\S-U\The Lumineers\The Lumineers (Deluxe Edition)\13 - This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody).mp3

3) I open MM and in the media tree I drill down to the folder containing the playlist file and double click it to open.

4) I try and double click or right click and play the file. Nothing happens.

5) Right clicking on the file and choosing properties shows a File Path and File Name with the file name as

13 - This Must Be The Place (Naïve Melody).mp3

6) If I change both the file name and the entry in the playlist to use a regular i instead of ï, it then works.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then it's likely file encoding that's the issue.
lueromat

Post by lueromat »

I am encountering this at the moment: é becomes and ü becomes - i.e., when a file gets reorganized based on tag, this happens to filename or folder, which is problematic for many reasons.
Then it's likely file encoding that's the issue.

I agree that there is an encoding issue, but if the files are auto-organized based on tag, then it should be encoding in the tag that's the issue - and not filename? I am trying to figure out how I can troubleshoot that.
ImKumii

Wrong special characters in Windows metadata

Post by ImKumii »

Hello,

Iam having issues with special characters in Windows metadata fields, when I set tags in Media Monkey.
Special characters are replaced by random text: Totální nasazení -> TotĂ^lnĂ- NasazeĂ-

From what I have found, there is some issue with WAV ID3v2.3
Source: github com/owncloud/music/issues/788

Could you please fix this issue?

Version of MM 5.0.1.2433
ImKumii

Post by ImKumii »

I had similar issue, noramally it should be possible to fix this within the App. In my case, tags with special characters were in the random format (same as you described). I found workaround:
In Windows Language & region settings go to -> Current system regional settings -> Check field "Use unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support". This fixed it for me, but be aware, this could possibly cause issues with another programs.
Peke

Re: Wrong special characters in Windows metadata

Post by Peke »

ImKumii wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:04 pm Hello,

Iam having issues with special characters in Windows metadata fields, when I set tags in Media Monkey.
Special characters are replaced by random text: Totální nasazení -> TotĂ^lnĂ- NasazeĂ-

From what I have found, there is some issue with WAV ID3v2.3
Source: github com/owncloud/music/issues/788

Could you please fix this issue?

Version of MM 5.0.1.2433
ID3 is not valid metadata format for WAVE files is RIFF format standard it states that LIST INFO Chunks should be used for Metadata instead of ID3 and that is what MM supports (even it sometimes reads ID3)and as pointed below it is encoded in UTF-8 You get that issues because ID3 tags are often encoded in UNICODE (16Bit encoding) and decoding is difficult.

It is raised several times in the past and we decided to фуллз support WAV сатндард (ег RIFF LIST INFO) Chunks.
ImKumii wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:49 pm In Windows Language & region settings go to -> Current system regional settings -> Check field "Use unicode UTF-8 for worldwide language support". This fixed it for me, but be aware, this could possibly cause issues with another programs.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts