Access Violation

To get bugs in the current release fixed, please report them here.

Moderator: Gurus

SandyLeidy

Access Violation

Post by SandyLeidy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:32 pm

MM is about to get dumped! ... and I paid for it!

I continuously get Access Violations at 0. Read of address 0.
There's nothing wrong with my memory.

It happens when I'm sorting thru songs and organizing
while playing them.

Sandy.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:41 pm

its the not enough memory free? or the microsoft jet file needs updated.
or the swap file needs made huge.

if your on win98 or other win9x system you need to adjust your
cache's to a better size. get the free program called cacheman. found on majorgeeks.com or snapfiles.com

it has options for setting the cache's up for different types of computer users.

also on slow cpu's and low ram you can't do much editing at one time with out getting errors. media monkey seems to alot so much space per song for editing.
and if you only change one letter in the song title it still has xxxxxx number of kbs's alotted for the song, that makes media monkey eat up the ram on editing.
(atleast that is what it seems to be doing, since it holds the edited information in ram. or swap file until you finish editing and close media monkey.)
it writes the edit upon closing of media monkey. unless you have set the option to write tags as you edit them.

monkey has a hard time with the database in mm 2.5. which is why they are going to a new database in mm 3. which is still in alpha testing.

and as normal you like others did not tell us your info. so theres no way of knowing what is the exact trouble. but what i said seems to be cause of most trouble like you said.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:04 am

Try disabling all plugins and scripts to see if the problem is still there. It's MediaMonkey that gives the AV error, but maybe it didn't cause it (maybe a plugin/script did).
Also, try to create a debug log as explained here. That might be of big help in solving the problem.
What version are you using?
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

latinmusiclover

Re: Access Violation

Post by latinmusiclover » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:32 am

I continuously get Access Violations at 0. Read of address 0.
There's nothing wrong with my memory.

It happens when I'm sorting thru songs and organizing while playing them.
How about some useful info? Tell us what OS you're using, how much RAM you have (and how much is free), and if you have at least 2G free on the drive partition that has your temp folder and your paging/swap file (usually C), and how big your database is?

Before you start disabling plugins, removing programs, and generally gutting your system, do yourself a favour and do the following (it will take a little longer, but won't change your system too drastically)

Run a memory test, preferably one that boots it's own OS and accesses all memory. Here's a few links to software that's free.
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp (Windows Memory Diagnostic)
http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp (DocMemory Memory Diagnostic)

After the memory checks out (or is replaced after it doens't)...

Close/Disable/Exit ALL unnecessary programs (reduce your system to the most basic of basic) before running MM.
Run File -> Maintain Library to clean up the database -- make sure that "Compact database" is checked.
Run MM and see if the problem has gone away.

SandyLeidy

AV

Post by SandyLeidy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:34 pm

Sorry for lack of info... guilty.
I'm running XP Pro on an AMD processor with:
Total Physical Memory: 1,024 MB
Available Physical Memory: 561 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2 gig
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 gig
Page File Space: 2.41 gig

WITH MediaMonkey 2.5.5.998 running.

I have a lot of tracks: 20,868
File size: 179.12 gig

I didn't notice any problems until I started
organizing the whole mess.

Thanks, Sandy.

judas

Post by judas » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:40 pm

Those specs seem ok, and the DB size shouldn't be a problem (would be considered small by some forum members :-))

Have you tried doing what steegy suggested? Disabling plugins/scripts and see if problem goes away? also, if it doesn't, the degug log would certainly help the devs look into your problem and see why it is happening.
Cheers, judas

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:16 pm

xp requriers 15% of the hard drive be free open space in order for it to defragment.

i am wondering if this requriement is also causing trouble for other programs that organize information.?

how much free space do you have on the hard drive?

:o
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Peke

Post by Peke » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:10 pm

PerfectDisk needs approximately 1% of free space. 15% way too much on 100Gb Partition (for example)
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:54 pm

thats good peke but is that 15% a windows setting or is it just a mmc setting for defrag?

if it is just for defrag then it won't be messing with other organizing programs.

but if it is a windows os setting then it might be messing with other programs.

thats what i don't know what type of setting it is.

yes i thought 5 gb's was too much on this 80 gb hd. but i don't have any other defragmenter program.

8)

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:08 am

As long as you have enough room left for an expandable page file (or as long as your static page file is chosen big enough) and you have enough room for temporary files and stuff, then even 100 MB of free hard disk space is enough in most cases.
And rest assured, Windows will notice you when it's running out of disk space (it has 2 notices, just like the 2 notices of a battery running empty). As long as it doesn't mention anything about that, you're fine.
The only (but nevertheless important) practical use of defragging a hard drive is "making it faster".

BTW: 15% is only the Windows defrag guideline to get a full defragmentation. Also with less it will work, but not as good and complete.

But let's listen to SandyLeidy first.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

latinmusiclover

Re: AV

Post by latinmusiclover » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:45 am

You have plenty/enough room for your database. Mine is 1100M and has close to 100,000 tracks init, artwork, etc. in a 2G RAM, system, and the only problem I had was with the Tagging Inconsistencies script which failed until I cleaned up some tracks to reduce the number of files it was forced to handle.

latinmusiclover

Re: Access Violation

Post by latinmusiclover » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:45 am

Did you test the memory?

Bex

Re: AV

Post by Bex » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:55 pm

latinmusiclover wrote:You have plenty/enough room for your database. Mine is 1100M and has close to 100,000 tracks init, artwork, etc. in a 2G RAM, system, and the only problem I had was with the Tagging Inconsistencies script which failed until I cleaned up some tracks to reduce the number of files it was forced to handle.
What errors did you get?
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts