processes freeze

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

zwu

processes freeze

Post by zwu »

hi

ive got the problem with winamp and MM2.2.2 and older versions of MM.
The thing is, when i leave MM on (active task in background) for about 6 - 7 hours, then different processes in the background start to freeze in. also when i try to start new programs they lock up. when i try to kill them in the process viewer the program exits but the task remains in the process viewer when i try to kill it anew it responds"process cannot be terminated". When i try to reboot the computer it remains at the "settings are being stored" window ( i got a german OS so i dont know wether the translation is correct) - which means i have to kill my computer by holding the powerbutton.

as i said i only get this problem with mm and winamp5 (with medialib) (both times with large databases)
this problem appeared with a fresh and reinstalled system;

MB :Chaintech 9EJL2
GK: Geforce TI4200
SC: Soundblaster live 5.1

are there any incompatibilities known with any drivers?
i hope you can help my cuz i like this program very much
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I understand that you mean with either MM or Winamp, not with both together?

Are you using the same output plugin for winamp and MM? Do you have the latest audiocard drivers installed.

I myself have no problems with MM during long use (typically 8 hours on workdays). Problems can arrise when using MM in network settings.
zwu

Post by zwu »

no i am not useing them together...

i have the newest sound card drivers installed ( sb live 5.1) and as i said this only happens with a large database. when i only scan my own fileserver ( which means also in via network) its working fine.

can it be that the acces db has a limit in size where it wouldnt work anymore or sthg like that.

are there any ideas in making that whole program with a sql database or do you know a program thats working with an sql db.

ok ^^ quite chaotic up there. but ITS MONDAY!!
cya;)
jiri

Post by jiri »

There is virtually no limit in how big databases can MM handle. Do you have enough RAM?

Jiri
Bex

Post by Bex »

There is actually a 2 Gb limit on MSAccess but i dont think that is the problem here, unless you have a millon mp3's. But just in case try to compact your database.
File->Maintain Library and hit OK
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

when i only scan my own fileserver
What are you scanning when it does fail? Other servers/PC's in your network or are you scanning over the internet. Do you use wireless in any of the network connections?

If you are running over a network and experiencing problems you might want to do tasks in small batches ie. scan one PC at the time or even smaller with just doing so many files/folders per PC at a time.

Please report back with more specifics about your (network) setup and OS's you are using.
zwu

Post by zwu »

hmm ok

first of all i got 512 mb ddram (333 FSB)

the network structure is a mixed one. we have bnc (bus structure) und normal cat5 network linked via fibreoptics (very intelligent ;) )-no wireless stuff- also OSes are mixed. windows 2k and above and also all kids of unix and linux derivates. but since it all works with samba(also my own file server is a FBSD with samba 3) i can scan all the machines.
i'm not scanning parallely, all one by one.

it doesnt fail when im scanning but as long as the program runs in the background(while doing nothing at all - i leave the computer on while i got to work) it kill the computer. without it no problemo at all ( win2k uptime now bout 1 week) with mm running about 5 hours then the freezing begins.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is there a chance that the network failed in those 5 hours, even if just ever so shortly? Do you have the DB stored on the same machine MM is running?

You might want to go to the bugforum and see how to generate a bug report. Create while doing adding files and report any specifics of the action (ie PC's used, OS's used for that specific add/rescan job).

My guess is that somewhere MM (or your network) isn't working probably on the connection.

I'm very interested in this situation as I run once in a while into problems on my network (I use wireless/wired TCP/IP networking with all WinXP and network attached storage).
zwu

Post by zwu »

hmm i dont think that there werer problems with the network, as i also think wouldnt be a problem. mm doesnt check for the sources al the time. if this should happen while searching the progress bar would be the only thing stopping i guess. but not to kill the process as such that it responds "process cant be terminated" as if it was debugging or still some !important! windows components would use it...

i dont know. the same amount of files in iTunes works quite well, with the only problem that i hate iTunes ;)

maybe ill reinstall my computer once again:(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have the file monitor turned on?

If I understand right your computer crashes after a while when MM runs. MM itself is not doing anything (not scanning, not playing, not used at all). It would be weird that MM causes crashes when it's not doing anything. I normally have it running 8 hours a day without problems.

The only thing I can ask is to create a bug report so that the developers can check it out. Check the bug forum on how to create a bug report.
zwu

looks like it works with new version

Post by zwu »

BTW: its looking good this time

tried the new 2.2.2 version. and let it run for a few days now. my pc is still working fine!! if thats going to change i'll be back here ;).
/me is happy now. thx for help before.

cya
zwu