Duplicate file scan pulls up files with only one copy

To get bugs in the current release fixed, please report them here.

Moderator: Gurus

Confused

Duplicate file scan pulls up files with only one copy

Post by Confused »

I have two songs that, when scanned, always appear in my Duplicate Files tab, followed by a "(1x)". Does anyone know of a way to remove these files from the list? I know there are no additional copies of them in my library, and it is annoying to always see them in there. Any help on this matter would be most appreciated.
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

I have the same issue, only it is more like 35 tracks with the (1x). I am using free version 2.5.1.934, and would love to get rid of these false duplicates.
julzcompufreek

Post by julzcompufreek »

When you play the songs, do both duplicates show up in bold? (which means they're playing)

If yes, then they are false duplicates, otherwise, there are actually two of them in the library.
Julian aka julzcompufreek
"Dancing is a contact sport; football is a Hitting sport." - Vince Lombardi
Visit My Blog - http://kompufreak.wordpress.com
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

Actually, none of them are bold. I am referring to the "Files To Edit">"Duplicate Content" section in the left frame. While there are some that say "<Track> (<Artist>) (2x)", a vast majority say "<Track> (<Artist>) (1x)". I check each of them and it only lists one file. There are no duplicates of those (1x) files in my media library.
Bex

Post by Bex »

That sounds very odd. Are there any dead links in the "dead links" node?

Perhaps the best thing todo is to create a debug log and send to the MM team. See the sticky in the bug forum on how to create debug logs.

/Bex
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

I check the Dead Links node often, and I have always removed tracks in there. None of the tracks on the duplicate list are also in the dead links node.

I think I will send a debug log; this isn't exactly impairing my use, but it is certainly annoying.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

I have one track like this. I haven't had a chance to figure out why yet.

First thing I would try would be to sync the tag 1st and then remove the track from the library. Then re-scan it back in and see if it returns to the Duplicate content node.

I'll try this when I get home myself.
Bex

Post by Bex »

pah68, before you delete the track, I suggest that you check in the db if you can find a second entry with the same checksum as the track.

/Bex
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

I am fairly sure that all of the tracks listed as (1x) in my Duplicate Content list were at some point listed as (2x). I will remove all of them, then rescan them. I'll see if they appear as (1x) again, and I'll post the results.
Bex

Post by Bex »

When I dig deep in my memory I think that I also has experienced this behaviour. And the explanation was that a m4a file had the exact same checksum as another mp3 file. But since the extension differ MM only displays one file.
If you want to check this do this in Access:

1) Open up medaimonkey.mdb
2) Copy and paste the code below into the sql window of a query and save it as Query1:

Code: Select all

SELECT Songs.SignPart1, Songs.SignPart2, Songs.SignPart3, Songs.SignPart4, Count(Songs.ID) AS CountOfID
FROM Songs
GROUP BY Songs.SignPart1, Songs.SignPart2, Songs.SignPart3, Songs.SignPart4
HAVING (((Songs.SignPart1)<>0) AND ((Songs.SignPart2)<>0) AND ((Songs.SignPart3)<>0) AND ((Songs.SignPart4)<>0) AND ((Count(Songs.ID))>1));
3) Copy and paste this code into a new query and run the query:

Code: Select all

SELECT Songs.ID, Songs.SongTitle, Songs.SongPath
FROM Songs INNER JOIN Query1 ON (Songs.SignPart4 = Query1.SignPart4) AND (Songs.SignPart3 = Query1.SignPart3) AND (Songs.SignPart2 = Query1.SignPart2) AND (Songs.SignPart1 = Query1.SignPart1)
ORDER BY Query1.SignPart1, Query1.SignPart2, Query1.SignPart3, Query1.SignPart4;
4) You should now see the songs that has the same checksum sorted on checksum so, song 1 = song 2, aso...

What do you get?
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

I scanned the directory again and all of the same files reappeared as (1x).

Unfortunately Bex, I don't have the "Access" program you are referring to, nor do I have an SQL interface. If there is some alternative to this, such as editing the file directly with notepad, let me know and I'll attempt to make the needed changes.
Bex

Post by Bex »

You could perhaps do it in MS Query inside Excel. Do you have Excel?
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

Yes, I do have Excel 2003. However, I am not particularly familiar with Excel, and some assistance would be greatly appreciated :) .
Bex

Post by Bex »

I have trouble myself to get the code to work within ms query. I struggle some more and get back to you.
One more question do you have Office Pro?
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

Actually, I don't; I am using the "Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003". I am aware that while this doesn't offer all of the functionality, the basic capabilities are the same and it was significantly cheaper :P