Missing Files from Library

To get bugs in the current release fixed, please report them here.

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Missing Files from Library

Post by Lowlander »

You can change the criteria for Collections or create your own Collections so this shouldn't be a problem for anyone.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
mark12356

Post by mark12356 »

The fundamental problem here is that the "Location" node, that is supposed to give us all our music according to its location on the disk, no longer does so. That is a REALLY DUMB change.

By all means create a new node for classical music that we can all ignore if we want because it's such a stupid idea, but please give us our "Location" node back.

And quickly.
Thank you
Mark
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Location node still exists and works exactly the same as MediaMonkey 3. You can enable Tree Nodes under Tools > Options > Media Tree if you don't see it.

Post by Guest »

Yes, under "Entire Library" Thank you for the pointer, I am now using that. I still think it should also work the same way under the "Music" node too.

I think it will be very difficult for you to design a "Classical Music" node that will please everyone: there are as many ways of classifying a classical music collection as there are people with such a collection.

Personally I am very happy with the way that MM helps me organise all of the different styles of music that I have. I am still loading up my collection into MM, but it is working very well.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can customize the Criteria for any Collection including Music to fit your own needs. Some default criteria had to be chosen, but MediaMonkey allows Gold users to modify the Collection Criteria and create new Collections to fit the individuals needs.
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

Lowlander wrote:Or modify the Music Collection rules to include Type Classical..
That's still a workaround, which is never an ideal situation. Plus, it's a workaround that requires the Gold edition. I'd consider getting Gold, but not if my main motivation to upgrade is to remove the shackles from my music collection. That veers uncomfortably close to crippleware, and makes me want to purchase it less.

I think the moral of the story here is that everyone uses their collection differently, so it's unwise for mediamonkey to force one style upon the user without making it optional. Or, at the very least, very clearly explained - The thing that pisses me off the most is that, like some people here, I've wasted hours of my life trying to figure out what the hell happened to that classical album I just added, because mediamonkey decided to hide it somewhere without telling me. Like most people, I assume it's user error or a bug, and not just the opaque design.

I, for instance, don't ever use the "composer" tag. If I have an album of Chopin Waltzes performed by Idil Biret, I put "Chopin" in the "artist" field, and call the album "Waltzes: Idil Biret". This system works well, and works seamlessly with my non-classical music. But mediamonkey gets in the way. As it does for the other people here who have mentioned different systems.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

stillwater wrote:
Lowlander wrote:Or modify the Music Collection rules to include Type Classical..
That's still a workaround, which is never an ideal situation. Plus, it's a workaround that requires the Gold edition. I'd consider getting Gold, but not if my main motivation to upgrade is to remove the shackles from my music collection. That veers uncomfortably close to crippleware, and makes me want to purchase it less.

I think the moral of the story here is that everyone uses their collection differently, so it's unwise for mediamonkey to force one style upon the user without making it optional. Or, at the very least, very clearly explained - The thing that pisses me off the most is that, like some people here, I've wasted hours of my life trying to figure out what the hell happened to that classical album I just added, because mediamonkey decided to hide it somewhere without telling me. Like most people, I assume it's user error or a bug, and not just the opaque design.

I, for instance, don't ever use the "composer" tag. If I have an album of Chopin Waltzes performed by Idil Biret, I put "Chopin" in the "artist" field, and call the album "Waltzes: Idil Biret". This system works well, and works seamlessly with my non-classical music. But mediamonkey gets in the way. As it does for the other people here who have mentioned different systems.
Are you using the current release? Because as of version 4.0.3 the default "Music" collection includes type = Classical:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8974
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's not a workaround, Entire Library is available to all and after all most people will make settings changes to the default settings (and you wouldn't call that workarounds). Also as Nohitter151 mentions this was changed, but I wonder if this only affected those who did a clean install of 4.0.3 or 3.x to 4.0.3 upgrade. I don't know as I had included Classical Music criteria in the Music Collection prior to 4.0.3.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Lowlander wrote:Also as Nohitter151 mentions this was changed, but I wonder if this only affected those who did a clean install of 4.0.3 or 3.x to 4.0.3 upgrade. I don't know as I had included Classical Music criteria in the Music Collection prior to 4.0.3.
You're right, it would require a clean DB with 4.0.3.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.