Wrong order for talking book files

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

mark12356

Wrong order for talking book files

Post by mark12356 »

Hi, this might be an RTFM issue, but I have a wierd problem in that the files that make up some of my talking books are played in the wrong order. This plays havoc with the plot. I have not noticed this problem on any other type of recording.

I ripped the files originally from multiple CDs and the files are now all in one directory with filenames such as "01 Introduction"; "02 Next bit of the plot", etc. I think I imported them into MM using auto tag from filename. When I mouse over the album art in MM, it shows the tracks in the wrong order, as if it is in the order CD1 track 1, CD2 track1... etc. I have checked everything I can think of and it all seems to be correct.

What am I missing?
Thanks
Mark
nohitter151

Re: Wrong order for talking book files

Post by nohitter151 »

What is your sort order? You should be able to click the "Album" column to sort correctly.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by Guest »

Hi,

It's not about the sort order of the albums in the list, it's about the sort order of the tracks within the album. The problem seems to be confined to albums that were originally recorded over 2 or more CDs.

For example, I have Berlioz' L'Enfance du Christ" which originally came on 2 CDs. The tracks are stored in FLAC files, in their own separate directory, in filenames that start with the numbers 01 to 16, in the order of the different movements of the piece. So, for example "01 Part 1 Herod's Dream The Narrator; 02 Part 1 Herod's Dream Scene 1..........08 Part 2 The Flight Into Egypt Overture......... 16 Part 3 Le Recitant, Choeur mystique"

The "Title" tag has been populated using "Tools>Auto-tag from filename" and the titles appear to be correct and they start with the numbers 01-16 also.

I normally access my albums using "Show Art". If I click on the artwork for this album, and click "show details" the tracks appear in the correct order. But when I use "Show Art", and click on the album art, and then mouse over the artwork to display the list of tracks, they appear in the wrong order. Specifically "01 Part 1 Herod's Dream The Narrator; 10 Part 2 The flight Into Egypt Le Repos de la Sainte Famille; 02 Part 1 Herod's Dream Scene 1. This is the order in which they are played if I double-click on the artwork, and it is wrong.

Originally I thought that this problem was confined to talking books but I was mistaken. I might well be doing something wrong here but it looks like a bug.
Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks and regards
Mark

Post by Guest »

This is how I reproduce the problem:

I tke a 2 CD set (L'Infance du Christ). I create a directroy and rip the first CD to it. All is well. I take the second CD and rip it into the same directory. At this point MM shows me two cover images, one for CD1 and the other for CD2 and both are correct. But I have a heap of files in my directory with the tracks from the two CDs interspersed:
01 CD1 track 1;
02 CD2 track 1;
03 CD1 track 2;
04 CD2 track 2 and so on.

I don't like this so I renumber the tracks from CD2 starting from 10 (CD1 has tracks 1-9). This makes them appear in the right order.

I then do an auto-tag from filename for the tracks, so that the tags show the tracks starting with the right numbers. This also causes the distinction between CD1 and CD2 to disappear since all the tracks now appear to come from the same album.

The tracks are now interspersed in MM in the wrong order. Re-scanning the directory does not fix the problem.

Post by Guest »

Sorry that should be:

01 CD1 track 1
01 CD2 track 1
02 CD1 track 2
02 CD2 track 2 an so on.

I rename these files using Windows file explorer

Post by Guest »

I could get round this by putting the 2 CDs into different directories, but I want all the files from the same piece of music in one directory, and I want them to play in the same order in MM as in any random Windows FLAC file player that plays the files in alphabetical order.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you tag Album, Track# and Disc# with the correct values sorting on Album should work in MediaMonkey. Sorting on Filename is not going to work due to the preceding 01, 02's you've been adding to the filenames.

Post by Guest »

That's great, works a treat thank you