Newbie with Tag Problems [#10662]

To get bugs in the current release fixed, please report them here.

Moderator: Gurus

sallenson

Newbie with Tag Problems [#10662]

Post by sallenson »

Hi,

With the fiasco that was iTunes 11, I've finally used my brain and moved everything across to MM. Around 180K mp3 files, with most of the tags in pretty good shape (I tend to use MP3Tag for a lot of tagging activity).

I'm running Windows 7, with all the music on a separate 2Tb drive attached via USB. I'm also running MM 4.0.7.1511

I feel a bit like a kid with a new toy box and I'm trying not to do too many clever things too soon.

One mistake I did make when I imported the music initially (about two weeks ago) was to have "Infer file properties" checked; I think that may have messed up a lot of tags, but hey, we live and learn. (Tho having a step-by-step newbie guide might be a good idea at some point if someone has the time and patience.....) I'm gradually getting there tho and what I've seen so far knocks the spots off any alternative managers/players.

Meanwhile.

I have "Update tags when editing properties" checked ON. I think that should update the tags on the files when I update properties, as well as keeping the library in synch.

But.

If I go into Entire library/Files to edit/Multiple Artist Albums, I can see a load of compilation albums;
I right-click and album and Change Album Artist to Various;
Changes are then applied (there's a "nn files to be tagged" progress bar at the bottom of the sreen);
All the tracks then have their Artist as it was and Album Artist as "Various";
So far so good.

If I then go into another node and look at the album I've just updated the Album Artist is still its original value and NOT "Various".
But if I go back into Entire library/Files/Multiple Artist Albums the album I just updated isn't there anymore (cos it thinks I've updated it).

Am I doing something stupid? Or do I need to do a manual synchronisation of the tags (Ctl-S) when I update them in the Multiple Album Artist view? Or is there something odd going on with the "Update tags when editing" check.

I'm a bit baffled. But hopeful that someone can set me straight.

Thanks

Stephen
Last edited by Lowlander on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Bug Report forum
Lowlander

Re: Newbie with Tag Problems

Post by Lowlander »

sussexsteve wrote:I have "Update tags when editing properties" checked ON. I think that should update the tags on the files when I update properties, as well as keeping the library in synch.
Correct
sussexsteve wrote:If I then go into another node and look at the album I've just updated the Album Artist is still its original value and NOT "Various".
What node are you using?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
sallenson

Post by sallenson »

If I use the Entire Library (top level) or Music nodes, the album artist I thought I'd changed is still showing the original values, not "Various".

Puzzling......

The only workaround I've found is to change the tags in the Entire Library or Music nodes. Which makes the Files to Edit/Multiple Artist Albums a bit redundant.....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
sallenson

Re: Newbie with Tag Problems [#10662]

Post by sallenson »

Cheers