Windows 7 skin?

If you want to contribute MediaMonkey skins, themes, icons, etc...

Moderators: Morten, Gurus

Tuxflux

Windows 7 skin?

Post by Tuxflux »

Hello.

This is my first post on the forum, and unfortunately it is with the intention of doing some winging. I come from a design background myself (not application skinning) and I require my desktop to look good. Visual aesthetics are important to me, and at the moment, MediaMonkey is not doing what I would like it to be at all.

I have looked at all the skins available via the forums, the skin Wiki, or via plain old Google searches. Nothing meets my expectations. There are a lot of skins out there, but a lot of them are, to be honest, crap. Primary colours that have no natural integration with the rest of the design, fat bevel embossing buttons that I thought were cool when I was about 14. In terms of professional design, there aren't many skins that I would rate as good that are available. Please don't take this offensively any of you who make skins for MediaMonkey, this is not my intention. Design and the personal development of ones personal style is something that happens over time and through experience, and the more skinners we have for our favourite media player the better. The skins I like are the ones that imitate other players, Songbird, iTunes, WMP 11. I also like 7On Skin, and ION skin. However, at the moment I am using the un-skinned version as nothing else seems appropriate.

As I have no experience with application design myself (mostly graphic and web), a skin I would be most happy to see is a Windows 7 skin. Something that blends in with the Windows 7 interface now that Microsoft have finally developed a well designed, and in my opinion, awesome OS. Aero glass interface, subtle well designed buttons and menus. If anyone is developing anything like this at the moment, please let me know as I anxiously await the final version of your work. If no-one is developing it at the moment, is anyone considering it? I do not think I am the only one who would love a skin that perfectly integrates with Windows 7.
nohitter151

Re: Windows 7 skin?

Post by nohitter151 »

I've begun work on a skin for MM4, it looks like this so far:

(there are still some bugs to work out with the new theme engine though)

I'm not sure if that's the type of thing you're looking for or not, but suggestions (and mockups of said suggestions) would be welcomed.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Wouldn't the unskinned do what you need in Windows 7? There are improvements planned as to how MediaMonkey behaves in Windows 7 for MediaMonkey 4.
Shiny Rabbit

Post by Shiny Rabbit »

you tried the skin Agora MK II? it's not exactly a Windows 7 skin, it has the same sort of min/max/close buttons but it's one of only skins I really like because it's nice and simple, quite compact and doesn't use a colour scheme seemingly designed to blow your eyeballs out. I'm also waiting on a stylish looking dark skin which the author is going to finish up soon

Windows 7 Enterprise x64. MediaMonkey 4 (unless I forget to update this)
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

nohitter151 wrote:I've begun work on a skin for MM4, it looks like this so far:

I'm not sure if that's the type of thing you're looking for or not, but suggestions (and mockups of said suggestions) would be welcomed.
nohitter151 your screenshot of a mm4/win7 skin looks very good. Is that true transparency around the border?
I can't wait to see the improvements promised in the skinning area for mm4.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
Tuxflux

Post by Tuxflux »

nohitter151 wrote:I've begun work on a skin for MM4, it looks like this so far:

This is exactly what I mean! Good work so far :D MediaMonkey 4... Is there any alpha/beta out for testing? ETA for final build? How does the theming engine in MM4 differ from MM3? Could your design be implemented into MM3 in terms of being technically possible?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

paulmt wrote:Is that true transparency around the border?
Yes.
Tuxflux wrote:MediaMonkey 4... Is there any alpha/beta out for testing? ETA for final build?
Only a nightly preview build for members of the team so far. I don't know the ETA, but I've been told that an alpha release should be coming in the next month or so.
Tuxflux wrote:How does the theming engine in MM4 differ from MM3?
It's adding a few new features (obviously aero support being the big one, and some other smaller things).
Tuxflux wrote:Could your design be implemented into MM3 in terms of being technically possible?
The aero player wouldn't be technically possible without the new version of MM, but otherwise the theme and player would work (just not with aero).

Tuxflux

Post by Tuxflux »

Sounds cool. Will definitely follow the progress. Thanks for the tip about Agora MK2. Its now my new skin. :D
DreadM

Post by DreadM »

Greetings

Thanks nohitter for sharing this with us,I'm curios how it will work?
Did the Aero player controls also the transparent Border from Theme?

and did need the Skin file in MM4 in the future 2 player files ( classic and Aero )or just one of them?

And did we need maybe more buttons for the video support :-?

i read on the wiki that we can dock the player at the top, :D Is this truth (this was my first post on the forum,about 2 years ago :lol: )

It would be nice if you can give us some more infos :wink:

Please!!
Vyper

Post by Vyper »

Tuxflux wrote:There are a lot of skins out there, but a lot of them are, to be honest, crap.
I'm not sure why none of the skinners who've replied so far haven't taken offense but as a long-time user of MM and one who likes a ton of the skins currently available, I take offense. Despite this assertion to the contrary:
Tuxflux wrote:Please don't take this offensively any of you who make skins for MediaMonkey, this is not my intention.
That remark was completely uncalled for. These skinners spend hours upon hours working on their skins and to have someone come along and say "they're crap but don't take that offensively and oh, by the way, can someone please make me a skin I might like" is rude and insulting.

Personally, I think you owe some people an apology.
Stop Button Freak
Tuxflux

Post by Tuxflux »

Vyper wrote:
Tuxflux wrote:There are a lot of skins out there, but a lot of them are, to be honest, crap.
I'm not sure why none of the skinners who've replied so far haven't taken offense but as a long-time user of MM and one who likes a ton of the skins currently available, I take offense. Despite this assertion to the contrary:
Tuxflux wrote:Please don't take this offensively any of you who make skins for MediaMonkey, this is not my intention.
That remark was completely uncalled for. These skinners spend hours upon hours working on their skins and to have someone come along and say "they're crap but don't take that offensively and oh, by the way, can someone please make me a skin I might like" is rude and insulting.

Personally, I think you owe some people an apology.
I did not mention anyone specifically, and if I think something is crap I am fully within my right to think so, and to express that view. If I had said "I think this skin by <<insert name here>> is crap", then I would agree with you. There are a lot of skins available for MediaMonkey, and there is a massive difference in the quality of the skins. This is the same for anything. There are obviously a wide array of quality in all things. Application design, web design, graphic design, furniture design, car design. The list is endless. Among all the designs out there, of course I will dislike a lot of them. I am sure you do as well. This wasn't a post directed at constructive criticism, it was a post expressing some personal frustration as to the lack of what I personally think are high quality skins. There are people that I think are doing good work, did you notice that I mentioned that too?

I described why I think some details in certain designs do not meet my personal taste. The reason I was asking if someone was making or was planning to make a skin according to my personal criteria, is because I lack the time, and experience in application design to make something myself. It was genuinely not my intention to offend anyone. Bottom line is, that I am entitled to my opinion, and you are entitled to yours. I'm sorry if you feel offended, but I do not think I worded my post too harshly.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

DreadM wrote:Greetings

Thanks nohitter for sharing this with us,I'm curios how it will work?
Did the Aero player controls also the transparent Border from Theme?
Not sure what you meant by that question, but the aero border will always match the windows theme, so you don't really control that.
DreadM wrote: and did need the Skin file in MM4 in the future 2 player files ( classic and Aero )or just one of them?
You should define Aeroplayer.mskn and Player.mskn (and Aeroplayer.ini, Player.ini) because the Aeroplayer files won't work in OS lower than Vista.
DreadM wrote: And did we need maybe more buttons for the video support :-?
I'm not 100% sure how video is going to work, right now the video player isn't working/skinnable yet. Did you have any specific new buttons in mind?
DreadM wrote: i read on the wiki that we can dock the player at the top, :D Is this truth (this was my first post on the forum,about 2 years ago :lol: )

It would be nice if you can give us some more infos :wink:

Please!!
Yes, I got Petr to add this feature, also new is ability to add alpha layer to the Pop up info player (so you can have rounded corners, etc.).

If you (or any other skinners) want to look at my new skin file, I will be happy to share it so you can get an idea of how the aeroplayer.mskn is built (it's very easy, just a transparent background for the player). I can't share the v4 preview build, but maybe seeing the player in themeeditor will give you an idea of what it's like.

DreadM

Post by DreadM »

nohitter151 wrote:Not sure what you meant by that question, but the aero border will always match the windows theme, so you don't really control that.
Hm,don't know if i really like this ,but we will see.
nohitter151 wrote:You should define Aeroplayer.mskn and Player.mskn (and Aeroplayer.ini, Player.ini) because the Aeroplayer files won't work in OS lower than Vista.
Ok ,this make sense, it's really a pain withe 3-4 different OS systems
nohitter151 wrote:I'm not 100% sure how video is going to work, right now the video player isn't working/skinnable yet. Did you have any specific new buttons in mind?
I don't know ,i 'm just wondering maybe like VLC player with fast forward and backward buttons and maybe different time displays.
nohitter151 wrote:Yes, I got Petr to add this feature, also new is ability to add alpha layer to the Pop up info player (so you can have rounded corners, etc.).
Thanks this are really good news,also for the Pop Up :D

Nohitter,Shure I'm interesting to look inside your skin file,can you send me the file or a download link

Thanks in advance
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

I hope the developers will not succumb to the temptation by integrating the global interface and objects of MM to aero.
MM 4 should be a major leap forward by breaking current interface limits, and providing skinners a way to express their creativity.

Take a look at theese WMP skins.

This is how It should be. ie. Possiblities to make sliding panels, customized equalizer, round buttons (volume etc.), animation effects, personalized buttons linked to scripts or MM's functions, customized fonts (not only digits) like in MM 2.x skins, etc...

It would be awesome! and with no doubt will attract mass of new customers. Think of it.

My two cents.

Eyal :~)
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Benn

Post by Benn »