Multi-item fields request

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Teknojnky

Multi-item fields request

Post by Teknojnky »

artists, genre's, etc...

Please let us choose which delimiter we want to use.

Semi-colon's look ugly.

Personally I would prefer to use the pipe char "|" especially since that is rarely, if ever, used by any normal artist name or genre.

Some other folks may prefer to use the slash or backslash.

In any case, the user should be able to control what delimits multiple items per field.
judas

Post by judas »

I back this request! I think I would use a slash, or even a coma.
Cheers, judas
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

I definitely don't want to see the comma become the only delimiter (if that were to happen) because I rely on having my artists in the way of "last, first". I actually think the pipe is a good idea as it is a rarer character and does look better than a semi-colon (although I thought the semicolon would be ok until I saw an earlier post by Teknojnky regarding a group that the semicolon was part of the name.
Macarena

Post by Macarena »

Ath moving on this topic, or is this close and the delimiter was agreed to be a semicolon ";"? IMHO,
comma , -- very, very not wise
pipe | semicolon ; slash / and backslash \ -- great (well, we have to solve the AC/DC feature)
"let us choose which delimiter we want to use" -- absolute gorgeous option, but I guess it's about the .mdb definition.

Regs,
REIKA

Post by REIKA »

I think that the display form on MM3 is not important. I do not care about the semicolon either.
However, the delimitation written in the ID3V2 tag is embarrassed in the semicolon.
In ID3V2, it is sure to be provided to use slash.
It is necessary to refrain from the way to make the generality of the user data lost by the convenience of specific software.
At least, I think that the form based on the specification should be made available by the option.
rusty

separators

Post by rusty »

keep this discussion going...we want to change this post 3.0.

Note though: although the ; is used in the MM ui, this has little to do with how the data is saved to a tag (i.e. the visual representation is distinct from the tagging format, and the tagging format is done as per the tag format's standard).

-Rusty
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Thanks Rusty, Ideally, the user would be able to choose exactly which delimiter is used for both _displayed_ and what tag formatting is used (ie v2.3 or v2.4 or even CUSTOM delimiter).

The 2nd is important for people with oddball devices or other programs... instead of trying to restrict MM to only certain things, the user should have alot more control over tagging aspects so that they can easily configure MM to fit in well with other applications/devices that are not as flexible and powerful as MM.

Post by Guest »

Teknojnky wrote:Thanks Rusty, Ideally, the user would be able to choose exactly which delimiter is used for both _displayed_ and what tag formatting is used (ie v2.3 or v2.4 or even CUSTOM delimiter).

The 2nd is important for people with oddball devices or other programs... instead of trying to restrict MM to only certain things, the user should have alot more control over tagging aspects so that they can easily configure MM to fit in well with other applications/devices that are not as flexible and powerful as MM.
I agree strongly. I'd never though about it before. I just checked out the ZVM forum on creative.com, and there is no discussion growing on the multiple genre/artist topic. All of them end with "unfortunately, not supported on ZVM." But what if later they start to support it - either on ZVM or on some new device, but they will use sth else then semicolon? Or, what if any main producer (Apple, Creative, MS,...) will support a different delimiter than MM would now agree on and also different from id3v2. IMO, they should go towards id3v2.3 (v2.4) format (so should MM, that was already mentioned above by REIKA - thanks for this). But finally, there is only a market agreement and a market decision. I hope I'm too scared, only.

I wish MM would belong to tools with such a flexibility -- to choose a delimiter on user's own.

BTW, there is already a function while synchronizing -- to synchronize only the first genre/artist. Does it mean MM actually cuts the tags inside the tracks? I believe there is only a step forward to create another line with: "Choose delimiter for the synchronized files: <space>".... In this sense, nobody has to implement a variable delimiter into MM, just to make him learn a new way of export (and then checking on the device)

Regs,
Macarena
mattisse

Post by mattisse »

Instead of a delimeter between 2 artists, I'd suggest a delimiter around one artist (sort of an opening and closing tag).
This delimiter would only be saved in the tag, but not visually represented.

The main advantage is that users can put whatever they want between two artists: commas, semikolons, feat., with, and, &, vs., ...

Example with the pipe sign as delimiter:
Stored in tag: |The Beatles|, |Earth, Wind & Fire| feat. |The Rolling Stones|
Visual representation: The Beatles, Earth,Wind & Fire feat. The Rolling Stones

You could also use 2 different delimiters to distinguish between main artists and supporting artists.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

mattisse wrote:This delimiter would only be saved in the tag, but not visually represented.
I already said long time ago that users don't want to know anything about some separators (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 5505#95505). MM developers should re-design the Track Properties dialog where user could enter multiple values without thinking about some separator.

Please, take a look on another musical cataloger - in the second column of the Artist table you could enter Vs, Feat, Pres. or whatever you want. It had multi-item support several years before MM and it is a way better.
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

ZvezdanD wrote:Please, take a look on another musical cataloger - in the second column of the Artist table you could enter Vs, Feat, Pres. or whatever you want. It had multi-item support several years before MM and it is a way better.
Hah! CATraxx ftw! :D This is clearly the way it should be done. I talk about it here and I've added it to the wishlist discussion.
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
Bex

Post by Bex »

Yes, I support a change here too. I don't want to lose my feat./pres./vs./and/& etc but I still want the separate artists to be individual in the nodes.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts