Let's Hear Your Experiences with MM3

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

MM newb

Found it!

Post by MM newb »

Thanks onkel_enno!

For anyone else looking for these features:

To open an Explorer window at the folder containing a track - Right click the track and choose "Find More from" -> "Folder (Explorer)"

To change the "Play Now" behaviour :
Tools -> Options -> Player and look in the "Default 'Double-Click' Action" section. Not an intuitive place to put it but at least it's there :wink:
leebel

MM3 experiences

Post by leebel »

I came across to MM from MusicMatch Jukebox. I was one of many that finally gave up when MMJB went over to Yahoo. MMJB got increasingly buggy.

I'm now running MM 3.0.1.1127 and find it truly BRILLIANT!

My first problem was how to get ~6,000 fully tagged tracks from MMJB across to MM. Most tags came across fine (which is amazing in itself as MMJB uses some of its own tags) except for ratings. Trixmoto's MMJB ratings transfer script was fabulous, particularly when he modified it to handle some odd MMJB tags (thank you trixmoto!). Worked a treat!

Imported my playlists and once I'd learnt about auto-playlists, translated my old ones dead easy. Brilliant! I keep an export playlist folder that I synch with my home server (along with all my tracks) - as I use a Squeezebox. The Squeezebox is a terrific product and I also fully recommend Total Commander as a file manager as it's abilities are totally amazing. I use TC to sync/backup my tracks (and a thousand other things).

I've got 4 MP3 players including and iPod and MM supports them all perfectly. Truly amazing. I was able to get rid of Anapod explorer for my iPod (darn its unique approach!) and Doppler for podcasting downloads.

I find the interface intuitive but still finding my feet with the nodes concept and Now Playing. I need to read more. Auto-organize is awesome and trixmoto's batch art finder script was an early addition to fill in some of the gaps. I really must make a donation to Trixmoto!

I have nothing but praise for the developers. MM3 is one of the best bits of software that I have used - and I have been programming for over 30 years. Once I get settled in, I'll do what I can to contribute to the community.

Well done and my heartfelt thanks for a wonderful system and a very active forum!
RTShaw

Re: VirtualCD in MM3

Post by RTShaw »

my_two_cent wrote:I use VirtualCD and I started using it in MM2 when I first started ripping my CD collection. It's never worked quite right.

When I told MM3 to import my MM2.5 database, it copied over the VirtualCD information and it also discovered all the tracks in the VirtualCD folder, so I ended up with double entries.

No problem, I erased the database and started over without importing my MM2.5 database, but MM3 wouldn't discover tracks in the VirtualCD folder so long as I told MM3 that that folder was where the virtual CDs belonged. So I created a VirtualCD3 folder, told MM3 that that is where my virtual CDs belong, and it was able to read the old VirtualCD folder and find all my .FLAC files from my CD rips.

But I no longer have my MM2.5 virtual CD information. I suppose it's no great loss, but I was using the virtual CD information in case the RIAA ever raided my bedroom and stole my computer and accused me of stealing music. The virtual CD data is my proof that I own the CDs. I suppose I'll just have to show them where all the boxes of CDs are located up in the attic. :-)
lost most control of my fingers so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type.

how the heck did u get virtualcd 2 work? i stick a music cd or music.iso file and cd refuses 2 read it. i get messages about not being able2 read the head to (real byrned cd's) - cant create mm3\virtualcd \my cd

the my cd name is inserted by mm3 since it sees the music cd's name as audio cd.. i would guess the space without quotes has robably something 2 do with it but could be wrong..
i like M3 but it does have some bugs 2 work out. a few of the cancel, ignore wondows dont cancel. BUT all in all its still better 2 me than itunes, mmatch and others.. i'm sure they are working on bugs, glitches and suggestions. and thats th other thing i like about MMonkey and why i becalme a gold member instantly - Tech support & Help. Theirs is great, u actually get responses.. many a time i've had a problem with items costing a lot more than MM but my questions go unanswered 4 ever.. or its so many tiers 2 get thru and explain your broblem over and over until u get fed up and uy another product from some place else.. this ability 2 get real help an good tech support is as vauable 2 me as the actual product..

thank u MediaMonkey Staff
--
I Am a Criminal created by the US Government
A Medical Cannabis Advocate, User & Engineer.
I Designed your Space Shuttles, Cars & Software.
Newbie Spark

not sold yet

Post by Newbie Spark »

I've been trying to work with MM 3..0.1, and I'm not having much luck. I can see my Ipods and went through the steps to set up sync, but it doesn't sync my playlists I have in the library node. I actually have two Ipods, and it's the new one that have never been sync on iTunes, and it's the new one that I can't figure out how to add the playlists I want. Can't find any info to really help me.
peter.lappo

Re: Let's Hear Your Experiences with MM3

Post by peter.lappo »

Kov-Ice wrote:So who's using the 3.0.1 version? What have been your experiences?
Kov
I'm a new fully paid up user and IMHO MM3 is great. I'm busing flacing all my CDs onto a NAS and syncing with a H340. I love the idea of loss less compression and conversion on the fly to my MP3 player.
Here is what I really like,
podcast sync feature
name things how I want to and not someone else
filesync
database remembers my edits even if I don't rip the CD (this has saved me more than once)

It would nice to have a beat matching DJ feature to seamlessly play tracks, but that would be the icing on the cake.

Well done!
setki

Post by setki »

After using v2 for quiet a while, I switched to V3 because I really needed the extra columns to be visible (Genre, Mood, etc...)

After testing at least 50 other players, only one could manage my 106.000 DJ songs collection.

I Loved V2 and really start to like V3 (now most bugs are solved)

Still some minor problems:
- how can you change the default location of the database?
In V2 it was like this : http://www.mediamonkey.com/faq/index.ph ... artlang=en
but in V3 ???

- I noticed that Custom fields that were filled with data, were empty when
i rescanned the whole directory again (all songs = 6houres)
Same problem for some of the DBLevel parms. They seemed to be seen as empty while they weren't.

kind regards
setki

Post by setki »

hééé comm'on ....

not even a reaction from the team itself.
:roll:
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

setki wrote:After using v2 for quiet a while, I switched to V3 because I really needed the extra columns to be visible (Genre, Mood, etc...)

After testing at least 50 other players, only one could manage my 106.000 DJ songs collection.

I Loved V2 and really start to like V3 (now most bugs are solved)

Still some minor problems:
- how can you change the default location of the database?
In V2 it was like this : http://www.mediamonkey.com/faq/index.ph ... artlang=en
but in V3 ???

- I noticed that Custom fields that were filled with data, were empty when
i rescanned the whole directory again (all songs = 6houres)
Same problem for some of the DBLevel parms. They seemed to be seen as empty while they weren't.

kind regards
You change the database location the same way as in MM2. The only thing that has changed is the DB and ini location on the hard drive:

Medimonkey.DB and Mediamonkey.ini default file locations:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\USERX\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey
Windows Vista: C:\Users\USERX\AppData\Local\Mediamonkey

(you may have to enable viewing of hidden files/folders)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
setki

Post by setki »

heee thanks for quick reply , nohitter151

Problem solved, I messed up with the V2 ini file. :oops:

Some more remarks:

- I do see that the new database (DB) is 3% bigger than the old (MDB) one for the same data.
Strange evolution in IT ...

- it also loads a LOT slower when clicking TITLE (view on all titles)
Also DB-related ?
It seems to be a SQLite V3 now instead of MDB. Should be faster, not ??

OK, I'll keep pushing it... and I'll keep you all informed. :wink:
tinana

Post by tinana »

I have ~150,000 mp3's and am using the latest version of MM3 (gold) and everything is unbelievably slow, from tagging, adding album art....searching....all things with which I have no problem when using MM2, and so I've had to abandon version 3 in favor of 2.

In fact, before giving up on MM3 completely, I was keeping both versions of MM open and using MM2 for searches, it's just that much faster, especially advanced search. And when I say 3 is 'slow', I don't mean to imply that I'm unrealistically impatient, I don't mind waiting for things, but rather my whole computer freezes up for a minute or longer at a time, whatever song is currently playing starts looping or stops playing altogether, Explorer and Firefox become unavailable, etc.

I'm not complaining, I love the look of MM3 and the added functionalities, and I also know it's still in its beta phase and things will keep improving. And even if by chance things were not to get better, I still have MM2, for which I'll always be grateful.
MM Gold/Lifetime member
Peke

Post by Peke »

@tinana
You should complain, I have similar sized library (My personal is just over 100k) and do not have any problems you describe. You are right about some speed problems, but there is fact that MM2 Lib (MDB) structure is 3 years old in matter of optimization and MM3 (SQLite) is less than year old internally and less than 2 months old for public. Every complain will help us to much better make focus on much needed areas in MediaMonkey rather than splitting to multiple areas and miss even more urgent ones.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tinana

Post by tinana »

Aw, thanks Peke, you're probably right, though as I said, it's not a complaint I have, I'm realistic in keeping in mind the stage of development MM3 is in and so I understand MM3 is bound to be slower than MM2 for a while. :wink:
MM Gold/Lifetime member
leftcoastfunk

Post by leftcoastfunk »

I used to swear by MM2.5 despite lack of native video support and stale GUI. Scripts and plugins made it all worth it and IMO nothing compared for organizing even just a 30+ gig music library. That said when Winamp 5.5 came out I switched back to winamp from ages ago - updated gui, internet/streaming/podcast support, etc. When I finally saw MM3 released I was pretty stoked - then severely disappointed, and here's why:

-if in any view with album art, updating (read: file monitor) or adding media was DIRT slow. And we're talking up to a minute or more PER TRACK! switch to details (text) view and it zips right through. Even after the process is done just scrolling through the album art too fast will cause freezing/jumping/artifact. Sometimes multiple instances of album art will show up for same artist/track/album then disappear again next time I go into that view. Not very useable for me.

-IMHO MM3 was the "big chance" to introduce native video support like nearly every other media player available. Still no native video support in a "media" player in 2008? Seriously? It's not that I don't have other programs that can do it, but I don't think I should have to. Maybe I'm being selfish. Anyway, it was a let-down.

I guess those are the big two that will keep me waiting for more big updates and future releases of MM. It's a shame really, because we all know that MM has the best functionality but for me it has lost it's useability.

That said - I love the new interface/player design. Skins are great - everybody keep up the good work there. Installation went just fine although I did not directly convert my MM2.5 db but rather imported my library as new. Looking forward very much to see what the amazing programmers here do with future releases as well as all the plugin/scripts developers out there. I have not given up on MM completely but my hiatus looks like it's gonna last a while longer...

Thanks!
brooklynspo

New Features?

Post by brooklynspo »

Just moved up to MM3 today. Upgrade went dead smooth - all data seems to have come across nicely. Looks good.

Giving myself a pat on the back for having the patience to not even mess with the betas last year. That being said apart from the pretty new interface, uh, just what am I looking at here?

Is there a place where I can see a simple list of new features?
nohitter151

Re: New Features?

Post by nohitter151 »

brooklynspo wrote:Just moved up to MM3 today. Upgrade went dead smooth - all data seems to have come across nicely. Looks good.

Giving myself a pat on the back for having the patience to not even mess with the betas last year. That being said apart from the pretty new interface, uh, just what am I looking at here?

Is there a place where I can see a simple list of new features?
This is probably the most simple list, which also links to a fully comprehensive (many page) list of new features, bugfixes, etc.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.