Audible .aa audio books and MM - possible?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

steve_c

Audible .aa audio books and MM - possible?

Post by steve_c »

Is there any way to handle, or at least allow synch of, audio books from www.audible.com that have the protected type .aa in MM?

Actual playback in MM would be a bonus. I'd be happy enough if MM could simply recognise the files when told to look in the right folder, and then allow synching to an iPod Nano. I have no problem with audio books in .mp3 or .m4b format - I simply tag these as genre Audiobook. The same approach does not work with Audible's proprietary .aa format (which is protected and cannot be transcoded AFAIK). Thanks.
Peke

Post by Peke »

.AA is Licensed format with DRM my best suggestion would be to check this.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I use either SoundTaxi or TuneBite to convert my audiobooks to mp3, that way I can use them in MM.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
steve_c

Post by steve_c »

Thanks for the replies. I suppose the answer is "no" I can't use MM to handle the synching if I don't first convert the files to a format that MM does handle. I was hoping that even if it would not play them because of DRM it could at least be persuaded to load them on to an iPod.

I'll take a look at the suggested conversion programs. Thanks for being explicit.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Have you tried the Audible software to sync to your ipod, I've used it to sync my husband's books to his Creative Zen.
Nyn

steve_c

Post by steve_c »

Thanks, Nyn, but unfortunately if you have an ipod then audible insists you use itunes. I quote from Audible:
Please note the iPod is not compatible with AudibleManager, so you must use the latest version of iTunes to add Audible content to your iPod.
. I'm trying to get away from iTunes! Still, at least now I remember how I got the .aas on there in the first place. I tried Tunebite once and it looks like I'll have to try it again if I want to get the aa files I can make MM use, either that or accept I cannot get rid of itunes.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I would go with the Tunebite method, that way your books can be a part of your MM library, which is what I wanted, I prefer to have all my files in one database. Plus I love using MM. I've never wanted an Ipod because I HATE for companies to force me to use my product the way they want, instead of the way I want.

Nyn