Is multiple artist tagging correctly implemented in MM3?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jwylot
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:06 am

Is multiple artist tagging correctly implemented in MM3?

Post by jwylot » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:32 am

If a track is performed by A & B then entering the artist tag as "A; B" updates the MM3 database correctly with entries under artists A and B. However, is the ID3v2 tag updated correctly?

I only ask because using MP3TAG creates two "ARTIST" frames:
ARTIST=A and ARTIST=B whereas the tag created using MM3 shows just one ARTIST frame, ARTIST=A; B.

Adding to my confusion is the fact that a track tagged in MP3TAG with two ARTIST frames displays the artist field in MM3 as "A; B".
Joe

spacefish
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:21 am
Location: Denmark

Post by spacefish » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:13 am

I'd be interested in this, too. I know that now anything with a ';' displays in MM verbatim. That is, a track or album with ArtistA; ArtistB gets displayed just like that. Consequently, it also scrobbles the same way which isn't good but I'll live with it.

I noticed that gege's Lyrics and Comment Viewer script (see sig) parses the semi-colon and displays the artists in the proper way so it should be possible for MM to at least do the same. For example, per MM tray tip I'm listening to David Amo; Julio Navas; D-Nox & Beckers - Memory Cell. Lyrics and Comment Viewer displays this as Memory Cell by David Amo, Julio Navas & D-Nox & Beckers. The script checks to see if there is more than one ';' and if there is, displays each as a ',' except for the last where it displays '&'. If there is only one ';', it displays '&'. This is exactly the way it should be displayed natively and scrobbled -- MM should pass the parsed value to the audioscrobbler plugin when reporting tracks with multiple artists.

I wish the native MM parser did this. CATraxx does this natively also but we're able to assign one artist per line (unlimited). I have no idea if that program uses separate frames when tagging -- I don't use the tagging functions much -- but it at least displays them in a logical, friendly way.
Last edited by spacefish on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes

jwylot
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:06 am

Post by jwylot » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi spacefish - I agree that it would be nice if MM parsed the ";" seperator in fields automatically. I listen to most of my music on a Squeezebox and thankfully, I can make the software aware that ";" is used as a multiple tag seperator so it doesn't bother me too much.

However, I was more interested in the difference in the way MM3 and mp3tag treated multiple tags. As no one here has come up with an answer yet, I thought I'd do some digging and it appears that MM3 is not tagging in accordance with the ID3 standards whereas mp3tag is!

From the ID32.4 frames.txt document:

"The text information frames are often the most important frames,
containing information like artist, album and more. There may only be
one text information frame of its kind in an tag. All text
information frames supports multiple strings, stored as a null
separated list, where null is reperesented by the termination code
for the charater encoding.
"

So then I opened up an mp3 tagged with MM3 in a text editor and found that the artist frame (TPE1) was encoded as "Artist A; Artist B" which appears to be wrong.

I checked another mp3 tagged with mp3tag and this showed correctly in the TPE1 frame as "Artist A{NULL}Artist B".

So it seems we have two issues here:
1. MM3 is tagging multiple fields incorrectly. A small problem as long as we only ever use MM3 to play them.

2. It would be nice if MM3 parsed multiple items in a field automatically.

Think I'll flag this in the Bug forum.
Joe

Teknojnky
Posts: 5537
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:01 pm
Contact:

Post by Teknojnky » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 pm

MM currently still uses 2.3 tags to write, but it generally can read 2.4 tags.

jwylot
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:06 am

Post by jwylot » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:20 pm

Yes, my mistake. Thanks.
Joe

Post Reply