Need your design made?

If you want to contribute MediaMonkey skins, themes, icons, etc...

Moderators: Morten, Gurus

magicalpig

Post by magicalpig »

I have a few ideas for skins but it's way harder to make than the MonkeyRok stuff. I'm not a photoshop wizard...

Just a few ideas : guitar amp "tweed" skin with some kind of matching buttons (which turn to 11) - dark woody skin (for all of you living in the middle of the woods) - old radio skin with vintage back-light type player...

I tried to re-color some existing skins but for some reason it doesn't work with textures as they end up too pixelized.

Maybe I'll manage to create the images when I figure out how to use this vector tool...

Victor.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

magicalpig wrote:I have a few ideas for skins but it's way harder to make than the MonkeyRok stuff. I'm not a photoshop wizard...

Just a few ideas : guitar amp "tweed" skin with some kind of matching buttons (which turn to 11) - dark woody skin (for all of you living in the middle of the woods) - old radio skin with vintage back-light type player...

I tried to re-color some existing skins but for some reason it doesn't work with textures as they end up too pixelized.

Maybe I'll manage to create the images when I figure out how to use this vector tool...

Victor.
vector tool?

anyway all you got to do is post your ideas here. when someone tells you they will do it then send them photos you want used if you have any.? as for the textures they work fine unless you use them on the stretchy part of the skin. and the list view's background. your ideas for skins sounds great.
i like them they are easy to create if you have a photo of what you want used. just make the ones you want not to move the floatplayer and make a different main player.

i made a guitar player just not the amp? well i did the amp case and had the guitar busting out of it. its the float player on my hillbilly rock diner skin.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
magicalpig

Post by magicalpig »

You made a guitar skin? Where is it?

Yeah, vector tool, vector graphics, you know. But when you say picture you make it sound like basic photo can do the trick. It would be easier.

As for textures, if I want to color a skin with a wood type thing, I have to use some kind of brown but I can't reproduce the patterns of the wood on all the stretchable parts, just the player, right?

More questions :

1. In the main MM window, is the player limited to be a rectangle or can it take some funkier shape?

2. Is there a way to change the linear volume bar into a rotary knob?

3. Is there a way to use 4 of those rotary knobs to control EQ from the player? Bass, Low Mid, High Mid and Treble as on a guitar amp or old radio/desk player. It would mean each would have to control some bands of the EQ. I'd say B = 31 & 63hz LM = 125, 250 & 500hz HM = 1,2 & 4k H = 8 & 16k. As several frequencies would be controlled by 1 knob you'd have to think about how they will move in relation to each other because if they move all the same amount it won't be very musical. But I guess I can figure this out.

Victor.
Last edited by magicalpig on Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magicalpig

Post by magicalpig »

rovingcowboy wrote:just make the ones you want not to move the floatplayer and make a different main player.
I can't make sense of your sentence man!!?? :o

Victor.
monkey hi fi

Post by monkey hi fi »

magicalpig wrote:You made a guitar skin? Where is it?

Yeah, vector tool, vector graphics, you know. But when you say picture you make it sound like basic photo can do the trick. It would be easier.

As for textures, if I want to color a skin with a wood type thing, I have to use some kind of brown but I can't reproduce the patterns of the wood on all the stretchable parts, just the player, right?

More questions :

1. In the main MM window, is the player limited to be a rectangle or can it take some funkier shape?

2. Is there a way to change the linear volume bar into a rotary knob?

3. Is there a way to use 4 of those rotary knobs to control EQ from the player? Bass, Low Mid, High Mid and Treble as on a guitar amp or old radio/desk player. It would mean each would have to control some bands of the EQ. I'd say B = 31 & 63hz LM = 125, 250 & 500hz HM = 1,2 & 4k H = 8 & 16k. As several frequencies would be controlled by 1 knob you'd have to think about how they will move in relation to each other because if they move all the same amount it won't be very musical. But I guess I can figure this out.

Victor.
whoa back up the hoss's ya don't need vector graphics unless mm3 can support them which i don't think it can? not for the skin anyway.

have you never been to the wiki site for the monkeys skins and lessons? and resources? click on the link for add ons. then click on the skins link look around that wiki site you will find all kinds of things to learn with, and there are as of an hour ago 34 mm 3 skins shown on that site 14 of them i did.
the hillbilly rock diner skin has the guitar skin with it. it is a pink and blue fifties style fender electric.

you do use photos it is the way to make the skins. it is fast also.

roving cowboy / keith hall / monkey hi fi.

8)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

magicalpig wrote:...

You could use a texture on any part of the skin.
magicalpig wrote: More questions :

You could make it any shape you want but it will be rectangular, any empty space would be filled in with black.
magicalpig wrote: 2. Is there a way to change the linear volume bar into a rotary knob?
No, not now. Maybe eventually in the future.
magicalpig wrote: 3. Is there a way to use 4 of those rotary knobs to control EQ from the player? Bass, Low Mid, High Mid and Treble as on a guitar amp or old radio/desk player. It would mean each would have to control some bands of the EQ. I'd say B = 31 & 63hz LM = 125, 250 & 500hz HM = 1,2 & 4k H = 8 & 16k. As several frequencies would be controlled by 1 knob you'd have to think about how they will move in relation to each other because if they move all the same amount it won't be very musical. But I guess I can figure this out.
You can add a button to a skin to bring up the equalizer, but you can't control it directly using a skin button.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
magicalpig

Post by magicalpig »

Thanks for answering my questions :D
magicalpig

Post by magicalpig »

Ok,

so here's some ideas on my skin project. It's going to require some time for me to make because basically I'll have to learn how to use an image editor along the way with my 512MB RAM pc! lol

Shape of main player : I like the depth and shadows on this thing. It will also be the hardest to replicate. I know the main player's supposed to be a rectangle but I guess there's a way to fill the unoccupied space with a nice color or texture.

Font : Funky 60's font... (3M Broadcast) though I'm not sure such a font will be usable on the whole skin, it'll end up being a mess. I'm not even sure what exactly can be done with fonts...

Float Player : This one will also be hard to replicate...
The idea would be to assign the white buttons to perform certain actions, place the album art where the radio's speaker is and change the radio frequency "browser" by a player with the same design as in the main theme.

And... I'd like the overall look to have some kind of dark woody feeling like old radio boxes. I'm kind of old-school anyway but I think if it ends up being a well-done skin it could be a change from more modern looking skins.

Am I trying to create something way too difficult or what?

Any insight, advice will be very welcomed, of course.

Victor.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

hard? don't get beside your self now. but i can get all that done in 12 hours. of solid skinning work. it might take a couple weeks at one hour a day or so.

now ifin ya gets ta wan'tin ta go on the bayou and jerk up them crawdads or maybe wrestle a gator? it might take ya more then 12 hours. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
phoenix_m5

Post by phoenix_m5 »

i saw Songbird in action. it is pretty basic, has a bunch of useless crap, and takes up alot of memory, but the skin for it is absolutely gorgeous. is it possible for someone to make a songbird-replica skin

http://www.aptgetupdate.de/wp-content/u ... d-18-1.png
http://www.blacksworld.net/images/songbird.png
magicalpig

Post by magicalpig »

rovingcowboy wrote:now ifin ya gets ta wan'tin ta go on the bayou and jerk up them crawdads or maybe wrestle a gator? it might take ya more then 12 hours. 8)
LOL. Yep there's more to life than skinning the monkey. But I WILL do it.

Victor.
magicalpig

Post by magicalpig »

phoenix_m5 wrote:i saw Songbird in action. it is pretty basic, has a bunch of useless crap, and takes up alot of memory, but the skin for it is absolutely gorgeous. is it possible for someone to make a songbird-replica skin

http://www.aptgetupdate.de/wp-content/u ... d-18-1.png
http://www.blacksworld.net/images/songbird.png
I reckon it shouldn't be too hard for the experts skinners lurking around here...

Victor.
aidan_cage

Shiny Monkey Dark

Post by aidan_cage »

I fashioned this skin when I was using MM2.5, and rather liked it
I wouldn't mind incorporating some aspects of it into an MM3 skin
--or rather having aspects of it incorporated into an MM3 skin :wink:

I have the images in the skin folder on my computer, and will gladly upload them if they look useful to anyone
--I also think aspects of it could go into the 'Black' skin being worked on as a group project

MM3 skin crafting is still beyond me at this point
maybe in the summer I will take to studying it
I think I have all the tools--I just need to get the information organized internally

let me know?
PEACE
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

That looks pretty sweet. I would need a slim mini-player though so I'll pass on the request. Nice looking though. :)
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
ozboomer

Re: Need your design made?

Post by ozboomer »

Morten wrote:Contribute with a skin - we can code it for you!
I think my request is fairly simple(!)...

I like the 'Glided' skin but I have difficulty with the colours used when the application is run as a "MiniPlayer". Specifically, the red, black and (dark) grey text is difficult to read against the grey colour of the player.

Therefore, I would like to see a skin, specifically for the MiniPlayer, like the image I've attached:

The only differences from the standard MiniPlayer are:

- a bold font for the song title
- a "surf green" colour for the title text and slider (RGB: 148-255-173 or similar)
- a "silver" colour for the "previous" and "next" track buttons
- a white colour for the band and album text

...or maybe there's a quick'n'easy way to doctor the standard FloatPlayer.mskn to make just those font/colour changes?

Thanks.