Video Me Up

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

wii.live07

Video Me Up

Post by wii.live07 »

I have seen so many people talking about video playback on this forum. Please take into consideration what we are saying about that. Media isn't just about mp3s today anymore. Video is key and even pictures too. I know MediaMonkey is great but it needs to allow video playback in their software. Please!

I tried posting in the official wishlist thready but couldn't get in.

Anyways thanks and I hope someone replies to me, especially someone from MediaMonkey themselves.
wing

Post by wing »

i would really like to see picture/video support for MEDIAmonkey too :)
judas

Post by judas »

One more vote for basic video support, even if it is for organizing and some basic communication with a chosen player (open source, like VLC).
Cheers, judas
Romanski

Post by Romanski »

I think that a good user interface required for browsing personal photos/videos is so much different to that for browsing music, that it really deserves to be a separate program.

Eg what if I want to listen music while watching photos? The best UI I can imagine for this is actually two UIs: one for music, and one for photos. I.e. two separate programs. Anything that uses a single window for both is bound to be clunky.

What benefit do you think there is in doing photos or videos in the same piece of software as music?

Post by Guest »

I agree with photos...also because editing photos is a basic operation for pictures, so additional thinks must be added. On the other hand, music and video are more passive: you just sit there and listen to music or watch video (apart from organizing & TAGGING THEM), and you can't do both at the same time.

I do think that mediamonkey should add library capábilities to video, in the end, it wouldn't be to different to what it has done adding more support for classical music (new fields, etc.) and playing video on an external program (call it plugin or whatever).
judas

Post by judas »

OOps----the above post was mine. This PC didn't log me in :-|
Cheers, judas
jommakimmi

Re: Video Me Up

Post by jommakimmi »

Video in MM - Yes please.

Migrating videos. Pinnacle video transfer (pvt) does the converting job and saves 3 hour (typically) mp4-files. (Pvt is doing a acceptable work and can be recommended as a price worthy alternative The only "but" is that it has some problems with my old camera tapes, especially the dogma-style recordings with a non stable handle of the camera, though it isn't much worth saving either).

The long video files from the tapes are then splitted down to music videos and single TV-programs. By this I use MPEG-Streamclip. The program cuts on the I-frames which means that it just split the video in to smaller .mp4-parts whithout loosing in quality.

I then start MM 3.0 and scan the new video files and since they are in .mp4 MM recognises them. It is within MM possible to tag them, organize them, search them and other things that MM can effort, it is even possible playing them as sound files.

But:

It is not possible play them as video files. The vid4wa isn't working either toghether with MM 3.0 and besides that I'm not sure if it supports mp4 either. So the makeshift is a script called "external tools" which starts a external simple video player. You will not get the automatic play of next track as in MM, but it gives you one video played. The "codec-hell" can make a simple action like playing video on a PC to a real challenge before it works. The solution that works for me is the CCCP-video codek pack and a player called zoomplayer. The CCCP name was a little bit hesitating, but it is doing its job which is not very common in the video in pc business. For the rest: I use F12 in external tools in order to not interfear with anything else when starting the videoplayer from MM.

My suggestion is that MM builds in video handle ability on the same level as it plays sound-files today. With that I mean playing them with picture and sound, tagging, organizing etc.

As I see it, there is already a window for the video and that is the album art window. The window is used only for non moving pictures today on a sound-file. In a video file it could show a moving picture and if you click on it it magnifyes to a bigger window.

I can understand that the MM-team hesitates for the introduction of video-file-support, I have mentioned the codec hell as a big reason and all question that this can cause depending on technical solution, but if there are no development in MM on this I think it will rest as niche product only for some enthusiastic discophiles.

I am looking after this MM3+, but haven't seen anything yet, but it is not a question of "IF", it is "WHEN" this ability shows up in another program I think...

Post by Guest »

Hello.

I am new around here.

I will agree that video support would certainly be a massive improvement to MediaMonkey and would open the program to a much larger audience, as Ipods have recently acquired excellent video functionality and discerning consumers are scrambling for replacements for Apple's slow and bloated client. I now use mediamonkey for my Ipod classic - but I will not be purchasing the Gold version until video is added as it would render Mediamonkey a truly excellent Itunes alternative. Of course, where audio is concerned it is already just that.

Joe
patch

Re:

Post by patch »

Romanski wrote:I think that a good user interface required for browsing personal photos/videos is so much different to that for browsing music, that it really deserves to be a separate program.
Agree
Personal Video Database http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php
With your favourite movie player eg VideoLAN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videolan
Works well

The user interface to do movies well is very different to audio
cluedtke

Post by cluedtke »

One of the reasons I love MM is for the concentration on jukebox & music management. As well as how light-weight it is, considering the ever-growing functionality & countless features.
Though, video playback would be ok, Id rather see the development time spent optimizing the existing application and handling feature-creeps specific to audio.
msteel

Post by msteel »

yea true but just a little video player for now would be good. but i think this is at the bottom of the pile for now.
jommakimmi

Post by jommakimmi »

Installed personal video database (pvd) as you suggested.

Patch et. al: You can't be serious when suggesting pvd for music videos!

- Music videos has the same need of tagging as ordinary plain music files: track#, artist, title, year, genre etc.

- Pvd has not the same abilities for tagging. There is a reason for using MM and that is the powerful user interface.

- The already done tagging in MM did not come over in pvd, Besides: Pvd is made more for movies and has not the same tagging.

PVD may be good for its spurpose, but that ain't music videos. Itunes isn't realistic either when you get used with all the abilities MM can effort, so I will continue using MM for my music videos together with external tools script and an external player until MM have an internal player or something else comes that is better but that was not pvd! Bye bye pvd.

Come on MM, wake up, start be MEDIAmonkey not just MUSICmonkey, welcome to 2008!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Remember that MediaMonkey can't tag videos. MediaMonkey allows you to store a lot of information on videos, but this is only stored in the MediaMonkey database. If another application supports tagging from filename you could use Auto-Organize Files to rename the files/folders based on the tags you stored in MediaMonkey. Now all you need is to have the other application convert these folder/filenames to tags.

I wonder if the different video formats have extensive tagging support like ID3 provides for MP3.
Perien

Post by Perien »

I don't know is this is possible or just stupid? :P

What if you make MM able to get the video files in the database so you can tag them, and then embedd VLC into MM. Or more precise, the video window in VLC embedd in the place where cover art normally is (like in itunes), and then make the playbuttons in MM connected to those in VLC?

And then you have MM's imba tagging and order, and VLC's imba video playing possibillities? :)

Very like Triximoto's video script :P
Queseuq

Post by Queseuq »

I've got basic tagging/playback support working in Mediamonkey. Just follow the instructions in this post

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 73#p147073

Unfortunately the video plugin is no longer available on the new site, though it can be found searching "Vid4wa" on google. It can be quite buggy however so don't try it unless you really want it. Native support for video tagging would be great as you could then launch videos just by hitting play rather than having to use a separate script.