Genre is a real pain!( In general, not because of MM )

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

pah68

Post by pah68 »

JoFo wrote:Sorry for bumping this post but don't we have genre and STYLE?
Nope, not unless you use a custom field or you are refering to one of the classification fields.
Dawter

Post by Dawter »

Ok, I'm really new to MM. After trying a ton of other players I was happy to find such a good one and so far I love it!
As I have been reading and re-doing things in MM I hope you can help me.
All the genre's...too many...I don't need them all. I have looked to see where I can edit the list but so far I haven't found it.
Can someone please tell me where it is so I can cut back on the genre list and add a few of my own?
Thank you.
Dawter
mjs93

Post by mjs93 »

Dawter wrote: Can someone please tell me where it is so I can cut back on the genre list and add a few of my own?
To add your own genre, just type it right in the genre box (right-click on a track > properties > genre field). As far as the genres that MM provides automatically, they are found in the Access database file (My Documents\My Music\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.mdb). I've never done it, but I guess you could try deleting them from there... do back up the database first, though. :)
Dawter

Post by Dawter »

What program do I open the file with?
Dawter
pah68

Post by pah68 »

MediaMonkey
Dawter

Post by Dawter »

Is that supposed to be a joke?
Dawter
mjs93

Post by mjs93 »

Dawter wrote:What program do I open the file with?
Microsoft Access.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do not delete the standard list of genre's. You can delete any unused genre's with an ID of above 10000 by opening My Music/MediaMonkey/MediaMonkey.mdb with MS Access, but don't delete/modify the standard genre's.

These genre's are the genre's from ID3v1 (which doesn't support custom genre's) and can't be modified. ID3v2 does support custom genre's.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

Dawter wrote:Is that supposed to be a joke?
No, just didn't read the previous posts correctly. :roll:

If you wanna delete genres you created (above and beyond the standard ones), you delete them from the genre node in MM.

If you want to delete some of the defaults you could do it in MS Access I guess, but I don't know if that's advisable though. In any case, ensure that you back up your db first
snacks

Post by snacks »

Great thread. I've been battling the Genre thing for years - I've got over 100,000 songs in my library. What it comes down to, like many have said, is it's personal and basically for me, became a way to find similar artists that I wanted to listen to together. The only "real" solution I've come up with is just to have a bunch (way too many) Genres (I've got 95) and put other terms in other fields which I can call up with a search. Like I've got World Music broken down into 4 genres - World/Americas, World/Europe, World/Eastern & World/African Arab... Then I put more specific info: Brazil, Mexico, Singer Songwriter... into the Grouping field in Itunes - which MM does read even though it doesn't show up in any visible field (I can't figure that one out)

I can't even begin to imagine putting my songs into categories like mood, theme, style - it would kill me - although I would love to! I'd probably do it with Allmusic if there was a way to link.. which would be great, but using Allmusic for Genre doesn't seem very smart to me (personal observation), they've got Artists like Regina Spektor and Feist listed under Rock along with The Allman Brothers??? If you did this you'd have to have subgenres.

In the end it's so personal and subjective and just depends what you want to use genre for...

Just some random thoughts... by the way that Wikipedia list of Genres is Mind boggling!
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i guess i am a throwback?
i just don't really care to have more then the defalut genera's.

if it is country who really cares what country it is from ? same thing with rock, or folk, or chants?

just don't make anymore sense to me to add in country of orgin that the songs came from.

of course i only listen to english spanish french and itlaian and irish and some german and some russian but i only understand the english. so i put the rest under classical since they are wanger, bach, trigoskvie, ? cant spell that name now? and wolfgang, the spanish , french and itlaian is IL Divo so i list it under pop opra as they do on their web site.

but as said many times already to each his own way? 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Dimebagdarrell

Re: Genre is a real pain!( In general, not because of MM )

Post by Dimebagdarrell »

Honestly the best option that would suit everyone's needs, would be something similar to a tag explorer on popular sites like flickr. If there were a section in which you could explore by tag, where names applied to many tracks were large, and others included in less tracks were smaller, all in a graphical interface allowing us to search dynamically and visually. I'm sure there are no intellectual properties on this technology, and it is intuitive and would be relatively easy to incorporate using a CSV in the genre tag field to measure different tags for the explorer. Just sayin'.....
Son of Spam

Post by Son of Spam »

I generally tend to tag Genres by how the songs sound to me...as well as the era...etc. Sometimes I try to be specific, but other times, I have no other choice but to give it an all-encompassing genre such as "Alternative Rock".

For example, I classify The Sex Pistols as "Punk Rock". But the Misfits might be considered "Punk".

But Public Image Ltd. (Johnny Rotten/Lydon's post-Pitols band) is "Post-Punk"...As is Killing Joke.

Early U2, The Smiths, The Cure, would be considered "Alternative Rock". But then again...so would Green Day and Offspring (I don't necessarily consider them "Punk").

Bauhaus falls into the "Goth Rock" genre. But some of the gloomier, Germanic numbers would simply be "Goth".

Bananarama, Duran Duran, early Depeche Mode are "New Wave".

Van Halen is "Hard Rock", while Iron Maiden is "Heavy Metal".

But I run into trouble for sure, when artists straddle multiple genres (as has been previously mentioned): Siouxsie & The Banshees ("Punk Rock"/"Post-Punk"/"Alternative Rock"/"Goth Rock"), depending on the song.

Does this "CD Universe" thing have an MM Plug-In?
Beware The Lollipop Of Mediocrity:
Lick It Once, And You Suck Forever.
MPG

Post by MPG »

I keep my genre's very generic:
Blues
Christmas
Classical
Country
Easy Listening
Electronica
Jazz
Pop
Rap
Rock

I categorize artists by their main genre. Many artists span different genres, but they have a main stay, and that is where I classify them, except for when they release a christmas CD...for obvious reasons. The above seems to work really well for me, and has made it easy for my family to locate what they are looking for.
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.
Full_Circle

Post by Full_Circle »

I keep mine even MORE general than that.
I simply have:

Pop
Jazz
RnB
Classical
Sountrack

and thats it. I think its WAY too time consuming to break down artists or albums into anything futher than this. I would love to try, but I honestly wouldnt have the time, given the number of albums I have. And in the end, I think genre can often come down to a personal preference.

The only other breakdown of my tracks is that I apply a "Party" classification to all of my "Pop", "Jazz" and "RnB" tracks, so that I can put it on random and only get a mix of songs (as opposed to my scores and classical music).