Can I remove a skin without opening MM?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rovingcowboy

Re: Can I remove a skin without opening MM?

Post by rovingcowboy »

so either doing all that stuff fixed it or the deep clean of the registry fixed it and you only found out by doing the clean install as it is now working proper again.

is that what you are saying in your last message. :-?

the debug logs are best sent in to the developers as they are the only ones that understand them
but they can and do also read the forums. :wink:

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
cali

Post by cali »

No, renaming the iPhone plug-in and cleaning the registry didn't fix things. I also installed dubug MM over the old installation, and that didn't change anything.

I had to uninstall, delete the folder and install again. But the previous times I've done that, I've also selected that particular skin (I had re-downloaded the skin just to be sure). The problem usually occurs the same day after I close and reopen MM for a second or third time. After the last clean installation, I didn't select that skin and I had close and open MM several times and the problem seems to be gone, at least for now. That's way I think there's something with the skin. If not, maybe it's triggering something, but I didn't see anything weird in the debug logs. So who knows, I sent a support ticket with a link to this thread. Hopefully somebody will notice something.

Cheers.
Windows Vista -- MM 3.1.0.1227 -- 6 Gen iPod
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

cali wrote:No, renaming the iPhone plug-in and cleaning the registry didn't fix things. I also installed dubug MM over the old installation, and that didn't change anything.

I had to uninstall, delete the folder and install again. But the previous times I've done that, I've also selected that particular skin (I had re-downloaded the skin just to be sure). The problem usually occurs the same day after I close and reopen MM for a second or third time. After the last clean installation, I didn't select that skin and I had close and open MM several times and the problem seems to be gone, at least for now. That's way I think there's something with the skin. If not, maybe it's triggering something, but I didn't see anything weird in the debug logs. So who knows, I sent a support ticket with a link to this thread. Hopefully somebody will notice something.

Cheers.
I really doubt its the skin. Anyway, the same thing could have applied to any other non-standard plugin just like the audioscrobbler plugin (meaning something that wasn't installed after a clean install of MM). Since your error has been implicated with errors like the one you saw in the past, I'd be willing to bet it was the audioscrobbler plugin causing it.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
cali

Post by cali »

The thing is that before uninstalling MM, I make a copy of the MM folder and paste all its contents in the newly created folder after the clean installation. So all the previous items, including the plug-ins, are pasted again. Anyway, I'm still waiting for MM to crash again, that way I'll be sure it's not the skin. I'll select another skin to be completely sure, maybe for some reason the switching to the skin, and not the skin per se, is what's causing the problems.
Mon1018

Post by Mon1018 »

This post is pretty nice!
I'd support you 100%!!!
come on!
Thats helpful for me! :lol: :( :)
cali

Post by cali »

If anyone's from support is following this: I just installed the Ultimate skin and the problem reappeared almost immediately. I had been using Glided with not a single occurrence of the Library error.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

they are watching it too,
i wonder if there is any thing like the digit panel in the skin's ini files, that might be messing with your installation of monkey? the digit panel did one time mess with my system so i took it out of my skins, but it was to be fixed.
try one of my skins and see if it also has the same trouble. then try one of each of the other skinners skins.
find out if any skin will do it or only the one from macmaster?
we know the default is not doing it.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
cali

Post by cali »

Thanks, I'm doing that. I'm using VitreousBlue right now, no problems so far.
cali

Post by cali »

I spoke too soon, I had to uninstall MM because I kept getting the same Library error with the second skin I tried, VitreousBlue .

Should I just give up on using a different skin? I'm using the default and now everything works but I'm afraid I can't use any other skin.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

cali wrote:I spoke too soon, I had to uninstall MM because I kept getting the same Library error with the second skin I tried, VitreousBlue .

Should I just give up on using a different skin? I'm using the default and now everything works but I'm afraid I can't use any other skin.
I know I've said this several times already in the thread and you probably don't believe me and are sick of hearing it :P :wink: but it just doesn't make sense for some skins to cause errors and the default one to not cause errors. Literally the only difference between skins is some picture files. I could see skinned causing errors vs. unskinned, but not the default skin vs any other skin.

I also took a look at your debug logs posted earlier but there is no indication of a crash anywhere. Were you running the debug program while you experienced a crash or just running it? My suggestion would be to get a log where the program actually crashes.

cali

Post by cali »

Yeah yeah. I didn't see the actual error on the logs either but I the debug application started writing its thing when I started MM and I saved it AFTER the crash.
So what can I do to figure what's causing the problem if the debug program is not detecting anything.

Right now, I'm using Glide and I copied the MM folder with the past installation like I did before. So even if a skin is not causing the problem, something else might be doing something. Maybe something gets "broken" when I choose to install a skin. I'm just wild-guessing, I really don't know what else to do :(
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

cali wrote:Yeah yeah. I didn't see the actual error on the logs either but I the debug application started writing its thing when I started MM and I saved it AFTER the crash.
So what can I do to figure what's causing the problem if the debug program is not detecting anything.

Right now, I'm using Glide and I copied the MM folder with the past installation like I did before. So even if a skin is not causing the problem, something else might be doing something. Maybe something gets "broken" when I choose to install a skin. I'm just wild-guessing, I really don't know what else to do :(
The only thing that happens during skin installation is the copying of the skin file into the skins directory, so the installation procedure can't be causing it. (You'll note that the skin isn't applied right away, but it has to be changed in the options).

Can you confirm that using Glided for an extended period of time doesn't cause an MM crash as well?

cali

Post by cali »

Will do, thanks!
cali

Post by cali »

nohitter151 wrote: Can you confirm that using Glided for an extended period of time doesn't cause an MM crash as well?
MM crashed big time using Glided. So I did a clean installation for the nth time. I won't copy the other folders anymore. :(
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

refreshing to know that the debug logs could not pick it up.
what that means is that it is in fact NOT mediamonkey.
but some process that is in windows and used by mediamonkey when doing something.
some dsp plugin's did stop and or crash my mediamonkey 3 on these computers but not for some time now?
i thought it was fixed?
still you might be using an old outdated plugin try finding the newest versions of each that you want to use.

it still could also be your ram going bad on you. how old is the computer?

nohitter151 i think they knew it was not the skin but i believe they were stuck on it as the fault because they only seen it on that one skin. so checking the other skins and finding it had to be done to get them unstuck.

cali, I've been stuck on a item like that before also. so its just something that happens now and then.