Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

xpurityx

Re: Genre Finder 3.2 [MM2+3]

Post by xpurityx »

Trix, found an issue last night with the hyphen character. When my Whitelist essentially looked like this:

*+Hip Hop=Hip-Hop

Tracks which found 'Hip Hop' would have it translated into 'Hip', as GF would see the '-' in 'Hip-Hop' as two separate genres, and was treating -Hop as a subtraction. My work around was to remove the occurrences where "-" was found in the code, and that seemed to work well. Is there another way around this I haven't found, or is it feasible to implement a different character to identify that the hyphen is part of a genre, and not a subtraction indicator?

Thx!
xpx
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Hmmm, I'll have to have a think about that one and see what I can come up with.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
xpurityx

Post by xpurityx »

What about putting parens around subtractions, like losses on tax forms :) From what I've seen, genres don't usually have parens, but commonly have hyphens.

*+Hip Hop=Hip-Hop(Country)+Metal
sugarman

Re: List of genre's

Post by sugarman »

harpagornis wrote:I made this list for you Trix. I tagged all the songs from my library. I have about 1200 Artist and have 750 genre's.

I Extracted all these genres and imported them in Excel. I filtered them and sorted them so I'd know how many times a genre existed. Example: I have 2500 'Rock' tracks.

Now decided that I wanted to use all the genre's that existed more than once. this still makes up 330 genre's. Now I focussed on only use the music genre's. ie. Indie means independent that has nothing to do with musicgenre so instead I used Indie Rock.

some examples of genre's i didn't list:
Band names
moods
Geographical things, exception African genre.

I now have about 80 genre's. The last thing I did is rename compounded terms like Alternative Rock into Rock, Alternative. In this way I think it's better organizing. I also listed genre's that are mispelled. Such as: Rnb R&B RandB, I use only R&B.

Now I thought of someting else. I hope it would be possible to use the moods and occasions from last.fm tags in MM. I also listed these moods and occasions in the sheet (which are used more than once!).

Example: first tag of a song is 'Christmas' copy this to the MM occasion field. And then use the second tag for the genre. same for moods.

Hope I am of some help. This list might be updated but than larger a library should be used.

download the excelsheet here:

http://www.documentshare.nl/DocumentVer ... oupID=3603
Does anyone have this spreadsheet? The link doesnt work, and I have pm'd harpagornis but no response.
Collin

Post by Collin »

Ok,
I don't know much about scripts but mine is popping up a problem and I don't know how to fix
any help would be appriciated

I have run it before
I updated to 3.2 the other day
I could still run
Rebooted today (First time after update)
After reboot gives me message when I try to run

Error #13 - Microsoft VBScript runtime error
Type Mismatch: 'str'
File: "C:\program files\mediamonkey\scripts\auto\genrefinder.vbs",Line: 655,Column:4

When I click ok I have to manually terminate the process in media monkey,, it just sits there, doesn't do anything

Thanks
Collin
Warralex

Post by Warralex »

I'm having the same problem, At first it was just a few artists, now it is about 50%.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Looks like the data coming back from Last.Fm is incomplete and my error handling isn't quite up to scratch! I'll get this resolved in the next version. :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
mfreeman

Post by mfreeman »

Given that Genre Finder doesn't appear in Tools|Scripts in MM3, how do I run it?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yeah, sorry about that. You'll either need to create the menu item manually (the INI entry is in a comment at the top of the script file) or you can go into the options and tick the toolbar button option and then use this button to run the script.
Collin8579

Post by Collin8579 »

Ok,
What can you do when last fm decideds to give you a different Genre at different times,
For instance
Barenaked Ladies, The Genrefinder tagged as Alternative,, which is what I like it as,
now with a new album I put on, with same artist genre finder, it tags as rock
Is there a way to say, I want it to take info from what there was before, before looking online?
Or, choose, what it chose before?

Does this make sense?
Collin
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

In album mode you have the option to "check library before querying" but this does not apply to any of the other modes currently. I don't really see how it could apply to the track mode, but I guess it could be applied to the artist mode. Unless maybe I tried this but it wasn't working, I'm not sure.
Collin

Post by Collin »

I can see where it might have an issue in artist mode if, say they had a Christmas album and the rest is Alternative (like some of the bands in question in my library), and when it searches it finds both genres,, Christmas, Alternative

IF I knew how to do this I wouldn't bother you with it trix,,
But is there a way to have the genre finder query a database first? For instance, you can populate the database with the Artists/Genre you have currently, and it looks there first, then on last fm?
Would make it quicker, especially if there was an option in the settings to put that genre in the database if it isn't there already (associated with that artist)

Just curious
Collin
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

So you want a completely external database to keep a track of your own list of preferred genres for artists?
Collin

Post by Collin »

Well the database would be easy to create,
I was just thinking it might be very efficient,,

But yes, I'm thinking along the line of an external database, or it could be spreadsheet since it only has 2 forms within it
Artist
Genre

Maybe that is another script entirely?
But I would think from what little programming/development background I have,
searching the database by artist and just imputing Genre in the appropriate place might be fairly easy?

For instance, I populate the said spreadsheet/database with the information on my currently tagged songs
I know I can export that information, I have done it with one of the advanced export scripts,
(I made a database of the music, and run reports)

Then when adding new content, run script A with that content highlighted, and it tags Genres based on artist consistent with the info in the sheet/dba
If it were me developing it, I would have it work in concert with the current genre finder,
So it checks db first, then searches last FM
And those not represented in the db/sheet would have the option of adding them,,
Or if too hard to integrate, have a separate one,,

This would also allow users to fix certain artists to certain genres if they don't agree with last FM tagging

I'm not asking you to make it,
I'm just bouncing some thoughts off you,
Is it feasible?
if so,, how hard for a newbie? I can learn logic based coding fairly easily,, if its something I can do I won't bother you with it

but if you think it is a great idea :P I won't stop you from playing with it

thanks for your time
Collin

oh> last question> Where does it list what is in the standard whitelist * that you can put in the whitelist field
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Your ideas are certainly possible. The only problem I really have with the suggestion is that there are many artists which cross genres and do music from many. There are also special tracks like christmas or charity ones which take are of a completely different genre to their normal stuff. These could not be accounted for with a system like this, which assume that all tracks from an artist will be of the same genre.

The list produced by "*" is dynamic as it is based on all the values currently in the database. However, if you raise the log level then the current list will be put into the logfile for you to see what is being used.