level track volume

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

andre

level track volume

Post by andre »

I noticed that after reinstaling windows , media monkey doesn't see the option "level track volume" as active on the tracks on wich it was used.
Nebbin

Post by Nebbin »

My understanding is that all info from "analysing volume" is stored in the MM database, and NOT as part of the file tag. This database is found in your MyDocs\MyMusic\MM directory and thus is likely deleted when you reinstall windows.
fn56

Post by fn56 »

Try this:
Copy any mp3 file to some other location:
> copy any.mp3 c:\temp
Now run "Analyze Volume" on any.mp3 using mediamonkey.
Now compare the files:
> comp any.mp3 c:\temp\any.mp3
You'll find that files are not identical!
===> Something happend to the file while Analyze Volume process was running!
I think it's bad cause, for example, if I do incremental backup of all my mp3 files then after "Analyze Volume" the whole store will be backed up again!
Can anyone tell me where the "Analyze Volume" info is stored?
fn56

no modifications to the audio file other than a tag update

Post by fn56 »

The mm help say about Volume Leveling: "By leveling the playback volume of a file as it plays in MediaMonkey based on a volume leveling coefficient that is pre-analyzed. This approach involves no modifications to the audio file other than a tag update..."
Anubis

Re: no modifications to the audio file other than a tag upda

Post by Anubis »

fn56 wrote:Can anyone tell me where the "Analyze Volume" info is stored?
fn56 wrote:This approach involves no modifications to the audio file other than a tag update..."
Have you answered your own question?
Last edited by Anubis on Sun May 29, 2005 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
fn56

Analyze Volume operation modifies your files and not the mm

Post by fn56 »

I was not happy with the fact that as a user I don't know the answer my self; so I searched for it. Now I'm not happy with the fact that I found - it is in the tag! :evil: - and so I wanted to warn all users: Analyze Volume operation modifies your files and not the mm db :o
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

Hmm, I actually like this feature... I have 3 different machines around my home that run MM and get their songs from a central file server. With the TAG having the volume levelling info, I don't need to level each song on each machine...

One persons feature, is another persons bug... :-)

Post by Guest »

I use mp3gain (freeware) for volume leveling, because all changes are reversible. Is this the case with the MM leveling?
pah68

Post by pah68 »

Anonymous wrote:I use mp3gain (freeware) for volume leveling, because all changes are reversible. Is this the case with the MM leveling?
I would assume so if it is indeed part of a tag.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Let me try to clearfy some things. MediaMonkey have two options regarding Volume Leveling:

1. Analyze Volume - It Generates Peak Level calculates Gain level track per track. This option do not change in any way Audio Data stream it only just writes value in tag of files formats that supporte it (MP3, APE, MPC).

2. Level Track volume - Actualy first 'Analyze Volume' of the track and then Re-Encode it with Applied Gain Value to Level Track Volume.

I personaly Prefer First option on My existing and newly get MP3 files, but using Second when Riping Audio and When Burning Audio (In burning no changes are mage to source file).

I hope I successed to clearfy something a little.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts