How to use device synchronization against a network share?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

popper

How to use device synchronization against a network share?

Post by popper »

I have a router that I use as an UPNP server. This router has a 32 GB usb stick as its "hard drive" where I store my music library. To save space on the stick, I would like to reduce the bitrate of my MP3s (which are usually around 250 kbps) to 160 kbps which I figure is still good enough to be played around the house. I would also like to level the volume of the files.

The hard drive of the router is shared on the network as a SMB drive, i.e. I have a drive "Y:" in my Windows explorer where the music can be accessed. I would now like to use the Device Synchronization feature of MediaMonkey to synchronize my songs to this network share. But I cannot get it to work. The following knowledge base article seems to suggest that something like this can be done:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=68
5. You can use the Device Synchronization function to temporarily synch
tracks from a server to a machine. Any changes to the tracks on the
machine can be set to trigger synchronization of the track back to the
original server:

1. Map a directory on your local drive to a drive letter. This can be done
by going to the command prompt (Run > CMD) and typing
SUBST S: [C:/Path on drive to map to S:]

2. Set up a new Generic Portable / Audio Device in MediaMonkey
that points to the newly created S: drive, preferably with
bidirectional synchronization, and then Auto-Synchronize tracks to that
new device.
I have done the SUBST part, but I don't know how I "set up a new Generic Portable / Audio Device in MediaMonkey". How can I force this? I always thought MM is automatically adding external devices as possible sync targets. But how can I make my network drive a sync target? Is there a special plugin dll for such a use case?

(BTW, I obviously don't want to remove the USB stick from the router and stick it in the PC every time my library changes, so this cannot be the solution)

I am using MM 3.0.3 Gold.

Thanks for your help.
popper.
nohitter151

Re: How to use device synchronization against a network share?

Post by nohitter151 »

Tools | Options | Portable / Audio devices, select USB_mass1.dll and hit "Configure".

Go to 'Device configuration' tab, Select your drive letter from the drop down menu, hit OK.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
popper

Post by popper »

Cool! I did a quick check and this really seems to work! Thanks a lot for your help.

Actually, I had seen this field where I can enter my drive name. But I was confused by the button "find device" next to it because it didn't do anything - and so I thought that this was not the way to go. So I did not test it any further.

cheers,
popper.

PS. "downsampling" 30 GB of MP3s takes an awful lot of time (5-8 hours?), even on a Core 2 Duo with 2,4 GHz - I need to use MM 3.1 for it so that it makes use of the two cores...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

popper wrote:Cool! I did a quick check and this really seems to work! Thanks a lot for your help.

Actually, I had seen this field where I can enter my drive name. But I was confused by the button "find device" next to it because it didn't do anything - and so I thought that this was not the way to go. So I did not test it any further.

cheers,
popper.

PS. "downsampling" 30 GB of MP3s takes an awful lot of time (5-8 hours?), even on a Core 2 Duo with 2,4 GHz - I need to use MM 3.1 for it so that it makes use of the two cores...
Find device is only for USB devices.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
popper

Post by popper »

Yes, thanks, I understand that now. Just wanted to mention that it can be confusing to others as well.

popper.
mzantsi

Re: How to use device synchronization against a network shar

Post by mzantsi »

I've been trying this in 4.1 but my networked drive does not appear as connected to the mapped drive, even though I can access it under the drive letter in explorer. This had worked previously, but stopped working mysteriously. Is there any way of re-connecting it?