1213 - Allows multiple version of MM to run [

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

rinvelt

1213 - Allows multiple version of MM to run [

Post by rinvelt »

Under Vista (at least) I can run multiple version of MM even with the "Allow just one instance of MM" option checked.

This seems to only happen when installing extensions. I have UAC on, so I run MM as Admin and then double click the extension. This used to install the extension in the MM running as admin. Now it open another version of MM.

[Moderator edit: related to the following bug: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=3702]
Lowlander

Re: 1213 - Allows multiple version of MM to run

Post by Lowlander »

I can't reproduce this with 1213 on Windows XP.

Try to restart MediaMonkey after disabling the multiple instances and then install a plugin. Does that still result in a new instance created?
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I cannot reproduce in Vista Ultimate but I have UAC turned off.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
fenrir

Post by fenrir »

rinvelt wrote:Under Vista (at least) I can run multiple version of MM even with the "Allow just one instance of MM" option checked.

This seems to only happen when installing extensions. I have UAC on, so I run MM as Admin and then double click the extension. This used to install the extension in the MM running as admin. Now it open another version of MM.
Same issue here too.. Using 3.1.0.1224
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

I'm having similar issues with Vista, but this is why it's happening at least for my installation.

Logged in as a standard user i.e. does not have admin rights. Try to install a plug-in and fails as we all know. Run MM as administrator with right-click runas, try to install plug-in again by double-clicking it, a second copy of MM appears and fails yet again. Why? Because running as Adminstrator when logged in as a standard user doesn't elevate thay user, but runs the new process as the administrator user you choose (you may have one), and loads a new profile. Same would happen even if you could run the plugin direct the same would happen.

My only course of action is to temporarily make my user an administrator, add the plugin, demote the user back again and then continue. Not very friendly.

What MM needs is either a menu option to allow you to say "Tools, Install plug-in" so it uses the correct session (but this won't help my case), or more sensibly, as Firefox/Thunderbird and many other applications do, stores plug-ins in a user accessible area without the need for admin rights.
fenrir

Post by fenrir »

bump.

Please help!
Bex

Post by Bex »

To circumvent this problem, until it gets fixed, try to run the .mmip file from within explorer (or your desktop). You can also try to drag and drop the .mmip file onto MM's playbutton. Either method will hopefully work.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
fenrir

Post by fenrir »

Cannot drag and drop mmip files into mediamonkey

and the desktop or explorer thing doesnt work either.. (can you explain how this solution would work actually?)
Bex

Post by Bex »

You need to drop onto the playbutton!

Re. explorer/desktop, some other user said it worked...
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
Dan415

Re: 1213 - Allows multiple version of MM to run [

Post by Dan415 »

(My first post--hopefully I did it correctly)

3/14/09-First installed Media Monkey V. 3.07.1191 on Vista 32bit.
--- In the days following, successfully installed numerous down-loaded scripts; started MM "as administrator" to install each script.
4/12/09-Installed MM V. 3.1.0.1234.
4/13/09-Started MM "as Administrator". Attempted to install script, SqlViewer.2.3.; SECOND COPY of MM started--"Installation Failed".
4/15/09-Started MM "as Administrator". Attempted to install script, ExportM3UsForSubNodes; SECOND COPY of MM started--"Installation Failed".
4/16/09-Installed MM V. 3.1.0.1235. (Succeeded after deleting a number of .dlls in MM main folder and Plug-in sub-folder.)
4/16/09-Started MM "as Administrator". Attempted to install ExportM3UsForSubNodes; SECOND COPY of MM started--"Installation Failed".

"Drop(ping) the MMIP onto the playbutton!" did not work.

While running V. 3.07.1191, the 'Second Copy of MM' never started and all attempted script installations were successful.

I believe that as new, Vista Users attempt to install scripts, they will encounter this V. 3.1 issue.

Dan
Taomyn

Post by Taomyn »

Bex wrote:You need to drop onto the playbutton!

Re. explorer/desktop, some other user said it worked...
Sorry, it doesn't :-(
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Cannot drag and drop mmip files into mediamonkey

Drag'n'drop into MM is unfortuantely undefined behaviour. It works for some objects, some targets, some combinations - not for others.

Could the Devs please document what is supposed to work? Then I we will at least know which of the non-working cases to report as bugs.
Chris