Get Ipod to use Album Artist instead of Compilation?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Jon EP

Get Ipod to use Album Artist instead of Compilation?

Post by Jon EP »

I have a number of albums that are a) compilations or are b) listed with different Album Artist and Artist.

My question: is there a way to get MM to handle synching so that the Ipod lists these albums using the Album Artist field, instead of placing them under Compilations?

Example of a) I have the multi-artist ablum "I'm Your Fan" in my MM with Album Artist = Leonard Cohen Tribute (instead of listed as "various artists" for instance). I'd like it to appear under Leonard Cohen Tribute on my ipod, instead of showing up in the compilations section.

Example of b) I have all albums by Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Elvis Costello & The Imposters, Elvis Costello, etc., listed with Album Artist = Elvis Costello, and with artist as Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Elvis Costello & The Imposters, etc. I'd like all of these albums to appear in the ipod under Elvis Costello.

Are either of these possible? How to do it?

Thanks!
JP
Jon EP

Re: Get Ipod to use Album Artist instead of Compilation?

Post by Jon EP »

So... I'm wondering if no replies means there is no hope for fixing this....?
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

Your problem is an issue with IPods and their software and not an issue with MediaMonkey.
Jon EP

Post by Jon EP »

Thanks for the reply! But...

I was hoping Media Monkey had come up with an ingenious fix for the poor quality of ITunes/Ipod. It wouldn't be the first time.

For instance, what if Media Monkey were to allow you to substitute Album Artist for Artist when synchronizing with a device. That would be a neat fix.

My question--does it exist already? If not, are there any workarounds?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Jon EP wrote:Thanks for the reply! But...

I was hoping Media Monkey had come up with an ingenious fix for the poor quality of ITunes/Ipod. It wouldn't be the first time.

For instance, what if Media Monkey were to allow you to substitute Album Artist for Artist when synchronizing with a device. That would be a neat fix.

It doesn't exist, and the only workaround would be to name all tracks with the same album artist and artist.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

Jon EP wrote:Thanks for the reply! But...

I see... Yes, that would be a nice feature. I've wanted the same thing, too, and it is the main reason I've never gotten an IPod... lack of ability to sync with different tags or to specific folders even (my music is organized by "album artist", so if a device could browse by folders that would solve a lot of my problems, but Ipods don't).

I need a new player soon, and I keep waiting for the perfect device, i.e. one that can use "album artist" and work with MediaMonkey (Zune has the album artist, just won't work with MediaMonkey).
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

nohitter151 wrote: It doesn't exist, and the only workaround would be to name all tracks with the same album artist and artist.
Which, no offense, is a horrible workaround.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

emalvick wrote:
nohitter151 wrote: It doesn't exist, and the only workaround would be to name all tracks with the same album artist and artist.
Which, no offense, is a horrible workaround.
Agreed.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Jon EP

Post by Jon EP »

I made a suggestion that this be added as a future feature. See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=38275