HELP: can run as admin,but clicking .MMIP launches seperate

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

bmilner

HELP: can run as admin,but clicking .MMIP launches seperate

Post by bmilner »

I'm trying to install the Last.fm scrobble plug-in and am getting the error that it can't install so I know I need to run Mediamonkey as admin (by the way, how power-usery and confusing is that? Come on, it should request elevation if it needs it... or throw a useful error). Anyway, my issue:

1. I right-click on MM 3.1 and choose "run as administrator" - this launches MM (where it forgets my skin choice I set as a standard user, thanks).
2. I then double click on the .MMIP file for the Last.fm scrobbler. This launches a second instance of MM NOT in admin mode so the installer fails again.

My question: How do I run the .MMIP from the instance of MM running as administrator? Why am I getting two instances of MM running as two seperate User Access levels at once?

Help!

Brandon
rovingcowboy

Re: HELP: can run as admin,but clicking .MMIP launches seperate

Post by rovingcowboy »

you sound like your on vista.

get a tweak program like mz ultimate tweaker from majorgeeks.com its free.

in it there is a very user friendly start up manager. it will show you what is enabled or disabled and which services can be disabled with out causing trouble to the computer.

there is one that is for allowing the use of a second sign on service i think that is what it is called but it should
allow monkey to work as one then. i don't have vista but i read that help on that service in the tweak program and this, is what it said it was for. " allowing a second logon for apps that need it." now if that is what you need then great i got it right. but i am not sure. :-?
still its something to try until you get a solid answer.

lowlander or nohitter151 and peke and some others are using vista they might know just what to do. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
bmilner

Post by bmilner »

I should have mentioned... yes, Vista 64-bit.
I'll try your idea. Very confusing. Why does MM need admin level privileges to install a plug-in anyway? Loopy.

UPDATE: that app you suggest is XP only. I looked for something comparible for Vista and couldn't find a google reference to something allowing 2 simultaneous UAC levels. Still need help here.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

In the options do you have "Allow one instance of MediaMonkey" checked?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Bex

Post by Bex »

You can try to drag & drop the.MMIP file onto the play-button in MM.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

before i yelled cause you said it was not vista only i thought to check the version number of what i have.
and i am using mz ultimate tweaker 5.1. old one. :(

so i checked his web site and he has now changed it to two different programs, which i did not know he did.

so here is the new page link for the vista version of his program.

http://www.mztweak.com/MzVista.html
try it and see if it still tells you to enable or disable the service that allows two log ons for programs that need that in vista. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
bmilner

Post by bmilner »

@Bex: I can't drag and drop the .MMIP file onto the play button. That appears to do nothing.
@NoHitter151: I do have "only allow one instance of MM" checked in the prefs. In fact, check out this groovy screenshot of what appears to be impossible! (non-retouched except to highlight the pref setting) - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3328/343 ... b633_o.jpg

So I appear to again be stumped. I downloaded the program Roving Cowboy suggested and couldn't make heads or tails of it. Couldn't find any reference to the service tweak you mentioned. I am seriously scared to have to hack into my UAC functionality just to install a dang plug-in. Is this a bug? Thank you all for trying to help by the way.
judas

Post by judas »

Hi!
I was having the exact same problem yesterday...it is a headache!

Allthough I'm running vista 32 what finally worked for me is:

1. Disable UAC (User Account Control)
2. Restart
3. Open Mediamonkey, tools, extensions and remove the one you're trying to install
4. Close Mediamonkey
5. Open Mediamonkey as administrator (right click, run as admin)
6. Drop the .mmip file on top of the Play Button, a prompt to install should pop up.
7.Close MM and turn UAC back on

It may work without the UAC disabling / enabling...but I think this is what I did yesterday and worked. Please try it and post back!
Cheers, judas
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

oh thats bad news then seems he removed them when he split the program in two, but i can't figure why he would do that? unless they did not work in vista? :-? bummer :(
bmilner

Post by bmilner »

@Judas: Thanks, that actually worked as I was able to get the Scrobbler installed.

Annoyingly, the following also happened:

1. Though tracks were being communicated to last.fm, there was no UI in the Last FM application showing tracks being scrobbled. (they just appeared on the website). Weird, and very annoying as I rather liked that ability to see additional data about tracks currently playing in the last.fm app. It always looked like it was broken... so I quit the app, dragged the DLL out of the plug-in directory and dragged the old Winamp Scrobbler DLL back in.

that's when the trouble started...

2. Now re-launching the program threw a "Problem during player installation" error. It seemed to see my tracks DB ok, but it reset my .INI file and lost all my prefs (grrr... there are LOT of prefs to set in this app from encoding prefs to column prefs etc.). Also, it could no longer see my 3rd party SKin I had installed. It defaulted to the default skin and didn't show my desired skin in the menu to choose from.

3. I QUIT again, and manually dragged a backup up of my INI file to the AppData folder. Restarted and voila, everything was back. So, no idea what was up. I guess you can't just manually drag a DLL in or out without some corruption happening.

By the way, I'm still livid I had disable UAC on my entire PC just to install a plug-in. This is SO not ready for prime time.
judas

Post by judas »

I agree it is not very smart to need admin privileges and disable UAC just to install a script...maybe this can be addressed the way Firefox works: a folder that does not need permission or something.
Cheers, judas
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

sorry to be blunt, but the pain that the entire world is suffering right now with UAC is designed to prevent apps to require admin rights when they don't need them. I think this is the case here. MM devs, this is M$ yelling at you to get MM to work without admin privs :)