Can I Play directly from an MP3 player

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Alchad

Can I Play directly from an MP3 player

Post by Alchad »

Hi again,

Probably a stupid question but...

Normally I just select a track from my music library and sync it either to my Ipod or my wifes MP3 player. The other week I loaded a whole lot (100 best classical tunes!) onto the MP3 player and it's now nearing capacity and so she want to do some editting, but before she edits she'd like to hear a bit of the track. I've just connected up the MP3 player but none of the tracks will play, same goes for the Ipod. So do I first have to scan them to the main MM library? If I do will they show up as separate Ipod and MP3 collections??

Thanks

Alchad
rovingcowboy

Re: Can I Play directly from an MP3 player

Post by rovingcowboy »

no its not a stupid question.

some portables worked find before in mm 3.0.3 now they dont' work in mm 3.1
so it is a very reasonable question.

just look for the thread of compatiable mp3 players. or compatible devices

that should give you an idea of if yours will work. :-? :)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
sakurakessho

Post by sakurakessho »

I wouldn't try the ipod touch (running firmware 2.1.1) . Mine kept making MM crash... repeatedly.
*MM Gold as of 04.23.08*
Alchad

Post by Alchad »

sakurakessho wrote:I wouldn't try the ipod touch (running firmware 2.1.1) . Mine kept making MM crash... repeatedly.

But that's not the point - MM is supposed to work with the Ipod isn't it??

Alchad
Alchad

MM won't play from my Ipod

Post by Alchad »

Posting again because I'm getting increasing frustrated at the situation and the amount of time I'm wasting trying to sort it.

Basically having completed reformatted my hard disc and reloaded all software and my music, I can now access and play all music via MM (before WMA tracks would just grey out and scroll through as though they were not there).

However I now find that with both the Ipod and a Samsung MP3 player if I try to access them from MM, MM will not play them! Once again MM recognises the Ipod and the MP3 player and shows the tracks, but if you try and play them MM just scrolls through and greys them out. Strangely music on a USB stick DOES play!

Obviously I'm going to ask the tech folk for advice but wanted to post here to see if I'm alone with the problem.

Oh yes, just to be certain, last night I completely removed both Itunes and MM and all there respective libraries etc and reloaded AND reset my Ipod. This morning I loaded a couple of albums onto the Ipod via MM - they are on the Ipod OK, but if I try to play them via MM, as before they just grey out.

Any suggestions

Alchad
PS - Moderators - I posted a similar query yesterday and it got moved to the "sync' board. I DON'T think this is a sync problem.
Lowlander

Re: MM won't play from my Ipod

Post by Lowlander »

It was moved to the device synchronization as it deals with portable devices. You're answer might actually be already available on that subforum.

I also merged it with your other post.
nohitter151

Re: MM won't play from my Ipod

Post by nohitter151 »

Alchad wrote:Posting again because I'm getting increasing frustrated at the situation and the amount of time I'm wasting trying to sort it.

Basically having completed reformatted my hard disc and reloaded all software and my music, I can now access and play all music via MM (before WMA tracks would just grey out and scroll through as though they were not there).

However I now find that with both the Ipod and a Samsung MP3 player if I try to access them from MM, MM will not play them! Once again MM recognises the Ipod and the MP3 player and shows the tracks, but if you try and play them MM just scrolls through and greys them out. Strangely music on a USB stick DOES play!

Obviously I'm going to ask the tech folk for advice but wanted to post here to see if I'm alone with the problem.

Oh yes, just to be certain, last night I completely removed both Itunes and MM and all there respective libraries etc and reloaded AND reset my Ipod. This morning I loaded a couple of albums onto the Ipod via MM - they are on the Ipod OK, but if I try to play them via MM, as before they just grey out.

Any suggestions

Alchad
PS - Moderators - I posted a similar query yesterday and it got moved to the "sync' board. I DON'T think this is a sync problem.
There are several posts about playing tracks directly from the iPod in MM already. I know, because I have answered them. The problem is that this is broken in MM3.1 and they are working on it.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Alchad

Post by Alchad »

For the benefit of others, the official reply

Hi,

Yes, this is a known issue with MediaMonkey version 3.1, tracks can no longer be played directly from an iPod/iPhone. It will be fixed in our next release.

Have to say I, VERY unimpressed. I've wasted a lot of time trying to figure out this problem, nor in searching the forum did I found it spelled out anywhere - synching problems are mentioned in a sticky at the top of this forum, but being non techy I don't consider this a sync problem as I CAN copy tracks to my Ipod, it's playing back a problem.

As in all things being open is best, if there is a glitch in the much trumpetted upgrade, MM should let veryone know, not let them waste time.

Alchad
Billman

Post by Billman »

This is an interesting thread - I'm using MM 3.1 and have no problem at all playing music directly from my iPod. Maybe because it's a very old 2G iPod.

My problem (that brought me to this thread) is that I can't scan the music on the iPod into my library. I'll keep looking for an answer to that one.

Bill