Wrong album art on iPod

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

jiri

Re: Wrong album art on iPod

Post by jiri »

many people are experiencing it I would think the MM developers should be able to reproduce this.
Well, I'm not sure whether 'many' people, but I guess that it isn't too important. As I wrote in other posts here, we really tried many times to reproduce this issue on various iPods (we have pretty much all models ever released), but weren't able to. The only possible known source of this problem is when you sometimes manage your device by iTunes, particularly if it's done simultaneously with MediaMonkey. If you don't, then really, we are waiting for anything useful we could use for tracking the problem. Note also, that some forum posts on other webs indicated some kind of album art problems even when using iTunes only.

Jiri
JBarclay

Post by JBarclay »

I just noticed the same problem on my new 6th generation iPod. The art was right, now it is wrong.

I did use iTunes to sync some video, so I agree that could be related to the bug.
wiz

Post by wiz »

jiri,

If I was to wipe my iPod and sync a dozen tracks and had the same problem what would it prove? Tell me what you are looking for, what info you need and I'll try to do it over the weekend. If there any any settings on MM you want me to set let me know also.

Don
jiri

Post by jiri »

The idea is to sync as few tracks as possible while trying to reproduce the issue. If you find a consistent way how to reproduce (like: every time I sync these 5 tracks, I see this problem...), then I'd be interested in all related data, i.e. content of iTunes folder on your iPod, possibly the tracks causing the problem and description of iPod/iPhone model used (+FW version).

Thanks,
Jiri
arttwood

Post by arttwood »

If it helps, I don't use iTunes to *sync* the ipod - I use MM exclusively for that. However, I do use itunes to drag/drop video onto the ipod - as I know of no way to use MM to accomplish that. Could that be the issue? (using itunes to move Video to the ipod?)
jiri

Post by jiri »

Yes, anytime iTunes touches the DB, the danger of corrupted album art seems to be increased. However, that's all I know so far, we haven't ever been able to find anything more about it.

Jiri
wiz

Post by wiz »

arttwood wrote:If it helps, I don't use iTunes to *sync* the ipod - I use MM exclusively for that.
As I have stated a few times I used iTunes to reset the iPod in order to wipe it out. I haven't used iTunes since then and use MM exclusively. So syncing with iTunes is not my issue.
wiz

Post by wiz »

Hi,

I wiped my iPod over the weekend and resynced my music. I did it a few artists/albums at a time in the beginning. After each sync I checked the album art and it was ok. I have completed the sync and the correct album art is displayed (so far).

Don
arttwood

Post by arttwood »

Thanks for taking on that experiment. . . if it continues to prove successful, I may have to do the same thing. A few things I'm curious about:

1) Do you put video on your ipod touch?
2) If you do, how do you get it reliably onto the device? the only way I know is to use iTunes. I don't use iTunes to "sync" but I do use it to do a "drag and drop" of the video files onto the ipod touch. This - either the operation itself or simply connecting to iTunes - may be the reason for the problem
3) Another problem I have with my syncing is that no matter what is played or how many times it is played on the ipod touch, when I sync with mediamonkey, the play counts to not register (in MediaMonkey) -- which is a real drag because I use AutoRateAccurate - which determines song ratings based upon their playcount. I wonder if this problem is associated with the album art problem, with iTunes use for video, or a completely separate problem.

Thanks,

Art
wiz

Post by wiz »

Hi Art,

I don't use an iPod toouch. It's a 5th gen model (maybe 5.5) - 80gb. What today I guess is considered the iPod Classic.

The only time I put video was a few years ago and I used iTunes. I guess you could try dragging and dropping on to the iTouch to see if it works. You just need to find te right directory to put the files in.

I can't help you with the play count issue. It sounds like a MM issue to me.

Don
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

I have the album art bug, too. 120GB iPod Classic. I don't use iTunes to sync at all, although sometimes freaking iTunes will start up when the iPod is connected and begin diddling with the iPod's database, even though I've told iTunes I want to manage this iPod manually.

Hrmph!

I really don't want to resync, as it takes days.

I wish MediaMonkey would allow you to store a sync'd copy of your entire library - one in an original format and one in a compressed format - and only sync the compressed files to your iPod or other portable device. Would save me a lot of hassle!
rogertheshrubber

Post by rogertheshrubber »

I also have a current 120g classic--currently about 1/2 filled. This morning I synched two CDs via mediamonkey and now all my album art is incorrect (shows picture of Elliott Smith disc when playing Elvis Costello, etc). I too DO NOT use iTunes at all, however the iTunes flash screen does pop up (and needs to be closed out manually) when the ipod is connected to the computer. Looking for a solution without a complete database conversion--
Muggs

Post by Muggs »

OK, I found this thread because I too was having the same problem. This is how I solved it for me (your millage may vary).
I created a Playlist called "Sync - iPod Touch" and dumped all of the stuff I wanted in there and synced that playlist and Voila' all is well.

HTH,
Muggs
arttwood

Post by arttwood »

Well, I completely wiped my ipod touch clean this weekend. . .then, synced only a single playlist with MM. About 100 tracks.
a) album art was corrupted immediately (The album cover itself was incorrect AND it was garbled (split screen) with another, incorrect album cover)
b) played a single song on the ipod. then re-synced and the play count did not register.

I haven't even begun the debacle of upgrading the ipod to 3.0 - which I know will be a whole other mess.

art
teabicky

Post by teabicky »

I am having this same trouble too. I did "sync" using itunes without adding or deleting any media files so I suspect (although haven't tried to reproduce yet) that this is the cause. The first time it happened was after syncing my library (about 27gb onto 120gb ipod classic) using MM and then altering the album art for one album on itunes. This really messed up my album art to the point where I reset the ipod and re-synved everything. Since then I have only used itunes for the sync mentioned above and the results are not as bad. Only a couple of albums display the wrong art when browsing but the ipod does display the wrong art frequently when playing a track, this appears to be a random event. I would love a quick fix!!