Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

gpzbc

Re: Backup 5.2 [MM2+3]

Post by gpzbc »

That sounds similar to my setup. I'd be lost without the backup script.
--
The gpzbc
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Touch wood I've never needed it (since I wrote it) but I find it very reassuring! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
simple

Post by simple »

I am new and i just installed backup 5.2 in my media monkey directry.First i would like to say that i never happen to screen like it should as show in this pic
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9734/65248604.gif

secondly whenever i click on ABackup.vbs it get error backup cancelled because output folder already exists.

Not sure where i am wrong or what should i do

One more thing at end i get error backup cancelled because backup is less then 1mb..well i just changed some keys ..it wont save those changes?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

1) You cannot backup to a root folder ("C:\") because it deletes the contents first, please choose something specific (like "C:\MM\") or leave it blank to use a temporary folder.

2) You have not ticked any of the options at the top so you're not actually backing anything up.

3) You should not "click on ABackup.vbs", the script runs from within MM and should not be run externally.

4) It is reporting that the database is less than 1Mb because you have not selected to backup the database.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
simple

Post by simple »

i am saying again this ...I said i never get this screen
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9734/65248604.gif
I dont know how it pops up?..i just searched the forum then i saw such screen should pop up but it never shows in my place

Now i am getting this error
http://img43.yfrog.com/i/46376112.png/
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

That error is because you are not using MM3.1 which you need to be with this version of the script.
NachoNYC

Post by NachoNYC »

changing font to PX8 worked for me
simple

Post by simple »

NachoNYC wrote:changing font to PX8 worked for me
how to change to px8 font?

If i install 3.1 are all my settings remain there?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, when you install the latest version of the top your "MediaMonkey.ini" file should keep all your existing settings.
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

I started to use this script today after one more crash (several hours of playing and fixing -> all playstat. and metadata like rating was gone...)
Better late and newer!!!

Edit: With help from Trixmoto and Nyn I know understand all options and this (most import of all?) script runs smooth. Thy !!!

Setup (Tools -> Scripts -> Backup)
  1. Check this one and specify a path if you want to keep the latest backup UNZIPPED (for easy access). If you don't want a unzipped backup you can leave this path blank (a folder will automatically be created in the %temp% folder, the script use this path as a temp folder for the backup zip-file).
  2. Most be checked if you want a zipped backup, with above settings one zip-file will be saved on each startup. With the above mask the script will save a zip-file in G:\Backup with a name like:
    MediaMonkey [version] - date - hour.minute.zip

Code: Select all

MediaMonkey [3.1.0.1256] - 2009-07-23 - 20.27.zip
  3. Use this option to create a 2:nd zipped backup. If possible at least one of your backups should go to a different drive than your database drive in case of hard drive failure. (I use this feature to save backup using different masks)
  4. Check one or both option to create Auto backup. You can always do additional manual backups by clicking on Backup in the setup (tips: check Show toolbar launch button)
  5. Check this one to avoid overwrite a working backup with a corrupt one When MM creates a new database this is approximately 800kb, so anything less than 1Mb normally means your database has been mislaid, so you don't want to backup the empty one! I don't think this has ever been a problem for me with MM3, but with MM2 sometimes if the database become corrupted a new one was created (which was always less than 1Mb) and obviously you wouldn't want this new one to overwrite your backup of your actual one
  6. This primarily acts as a reminder to users that the output path will be deleted so they shouldn't point to a folder with anything else in it. Also some people wanted to do a full backup to a folder (including scripts and plugins, etc) but then they only wanted their automatic backup to include the database and the settings. Leaving this option unticked would then allow the archive zip file to include the full backup (including script and plugins) even though on the database and settings had been copied into the folder recently. Ticking the option means that if you delete a script (for example) it will also be deleted from your backup.
  7. Check this one if you want a confirmation, prevent you from losing previous backup files (especially if you don't use a file name mask with date & time)
  8. You have to have Trixmoto's Backup Playlists script installed in order to back up playlists, but this is only for autoplaylists. If you don't have this script this option is disabled.
  9. The M3U method will export the playlists in the same format which MM uses with the parent playlist being a part of the name of the playlist. They will all be exported in the same folder. The Mod: Nested method will export the playlists into folders with the same parent/child hierarcy which the playlists uses within MM.
  10. Useful if you want to install MM on a new computer or new partition.
  11. This could vary depending on the user, for example the folder which MM uses for the mediamonkey.m3u
  12. For frequent backups I only backup database and settings (ini-file), only archive(2) is checked
  13. Before I install a new version, scripts etc. I want a full backup so I check everything incl. registry and use archive (3)
The best way to understand how it works is to backup/restore ONE file:
  1. Close MM (create backup)
  2. Open MM and change the comment tag for one file and close MM (temporally turn of auto backup or so you don't overwrite previous backup or use a zipped backup)
  3. To undo this change you have to restore data from an backup!
  4. There are two ways to restore MM database:
    1. copy/overwrite MediaMonkey.ini and MM.DB to database and settings folder (see setup for path, you might have to change settings to see hidden folders)
    2. click on Restore.vbs to automatic restore database, scripts, skins etc. (all files that are included in the backup)
  5. Open MM and check comment tags and it looks perfect BUT it's not, what you are looking at, is a database field (not the actual tag, you can use a tool like mp3Tag to see tags).
  6. To restore information in tags you need to synchronize files/library:
    1. Select (all) tracks
    2. Tools -> Advanced Tag management -> Synchronize Tags
Last edited by RobertSmith on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:17 am, edited 13 times in total.
Boys Don't Cry
3.1.0.1256 - M$ Vista Business sp1, DELL laptop, WD USB HDD 1TB (iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPod 30GB, Archos AV500 60GB)
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Here are my settings, with these settings I am able to get a backup each time I open MM and if a backup does not exist for that hour, it creates it. I stopped using the archive feature because I have enough backups created to save me from myself. I have never used the restore.vbs feature, I usually restore either the mediamonkey.ini, mm.db or registry settings manually.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

nynaevelan wrote:Here are my settings, with these settings I am able to get a backup each time I open MM and if a backup does not exist for that hour, it creates it. I stopped using the archive feature because I have enough backups created to save me from myself. I have never used the restore.vbs feature, I usually restore either the mediamonkey.ini, mm.db or registry settings manually.
I changed my settings (only checkboxes) to be the same as yours but then I get the Error after 45 sec...
nynaevelan wrote:Personally I have mine setup to save once an hour
To get this to work do You have to close/reopen MM? were is no timer function as in Export M3U/Playlists for Child Nodes 2.7 (2009-07-08)[MM2+3]?

I really need a timer or the possibility to do a manual backup every 60 min without closing & reopen MM. Can you do a manual backup with your settings?

How do manage to check the Include the 'BackupPlaylists"... my is disabled...

What types of changes in Registry do you restore?
Boys Don't Cry
3.1.0.1256 - M$ Vista Business sp1, DELL laptop, WD USB HDD 1TB (iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPod 30GB, Archos AV500 60GB)
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

RobertSmith wrote:I changed my settings (only checkboxes) to be the same as yours but then I get the Error after 45 sec...
What is the error you are getting?
RobertSmith wrote:To get this to work do You have to close/reopen MM? were is no timer function as in Export M3U/Playlists for Child Nodes 2.7 (2009-07-08)[MM2+3]?
No there is no timer but you can enable the toolbar icon and whenever you need to run a backup, just click the button, which is something I do more often than opening/closing MM. The only time I close MM (other than when testing something) is at the end of the night, so that when I reopen it in the morning the script which you linked above can export my playlists for the day.
RobertSmith wrote: Can you do a manual backup with your settings?
Yes you can, when you click the toolbar icon it will open the backup dialog and you can change the settings or use your default settings for the backup.
RobertSmith wrote:How do manage to check the Include the 'BackupPlaylists"... my is disabled...
You have to have Trixmoto's Backup Playlistsscript installed in order to back up playlists, but this is only for autoplaylists.
RobertSmith wrote:What types of changes in Registry do you restore?
I usually only restore registry settings when I install MM on a new computer or new partition.

RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

nynaevelan wrote:What is the error you are getting?
Image see prev. post
Boys Don't Cry
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Sorry I missed that, are you sure the folders that you have setup actually exist? It looks like there is a backslash missing in your archive setup, but that could be my "old" eyes missing something. As a side note, if possible you should have your backups going to a different drive than your database drive in case of hard drive failure.

Nyn