Creative ZEN 32GB locks when synced

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

chrisjj

Re: Creative ZEN 32GB locks when synced

Post by chrisjj »

nynaevelan wrote:If not a fix the driver, maybe find a way for us to use the XP driver???
All my MM-ZEN problems have been with the XP driver.
Chris
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

chrisjj wrote:
Damage, Inc. wrote:which is a hassle for me because my Zen is full and syncing 32GB takes a while, especially when you have it re-encode higher bittrate songs down so save space
Agreed. To partially workaround this, I two a two-stage sync: first one converting all the files to a SUBST drive, second one sending the SUBST files to the wiped ZEN.
Chris:

Why do you do it this way, are you converting from one format to another??

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

chrisjj wrote:
nynaevelan wrote:If not a fix the driver, maybe find a way for us to use the XP driver???
All my MM-ZEN problems have benn with the XP driver.
Well then I will not go through the trouble of creating an XP virtual drive if the same problems exist in XP. :( I really would like to get past this problem.

Nyn

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

nynaevelan wrote:Why do you do it this way, are you converting from one format to another??
Yes - I am converting from WMA lossless (the format of my library, which the ZEN will not play) to WMA lossless 320Kbps.
Chris
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Do you have to convert them each time you sync??

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Do you have to convert them each time you sync??

I would do if I didn't use a two-stage scheme, because of the need to wipe the ZEN to avoid the MM incremental sync failure.
Chris
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I am trying to limit myself to one or two syncs a week, I am a little concerned all these "wipes" are going to cause the Zen some damages in the long run. Luckily I do not have to convert anything but having to check and recheck every time is a major PITA.

Nyn

gyro

Post by gyro »

Hey all,

I have been have been having this problem for AGES, but yesterday seem to have solved the problem for me. All i did was connect my Zen (32gb) to my pc via usb (XP) and then run the creative auto software update tool. It detected my Zen and installed some software (which im not gonna use tbh) and now ive synced 10 times with mediamonkey without a single lock up. It would be interesting to see if this fixes it for other people too.

For info, i didnt disable any of the software installed by the autoupdate, so for example, i can still see the creative sync manager symbol in the systray.

Hope this helps,

Gyro
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> It detected my Zen and installed some software (which im not gonna use tbh)

Did it do a firmware update? If so, it would be worth recording the new firtmwave version number here.
Chris
gyro

Post by gyro »

Did it do a firmware update?
Nope, not on this occasion. this was just software. However i did run the 1-touch firmware update a few days ago and keep getting the same sync lock up issue afterwards so that didnt do anything. for the record though my firmware version is: 1.21.03_0.3.1
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Thanks.

Perhaps you had (pre-update) Creative software installed at the time of a the lockups, and a fault in this pre-update version was the cause. Other who like me have no Creative software installed would not experience the problem.
Chris
gyro

Post by gyro »

unfortunately not. I had only recently got a new netbook and hadnt installed any creative software whatsoever onto it. This was the first time i had installed any so im thinking that maybe it installed some system files which are needed to sync properly.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> ... so im thinking that maybe it installed some system files which are needed to sync properly.

Maybe. I have seen other MTP device lock-up's fixed by an upgrade to Windows Media Player (and many devices state a version of WMP in the system requirements) so perhaps those users like myself who don't have the Creative software have a WMP (I had 9 and now have 10) or the Windows Media Format upgrade that is part of it (I have 11) and this provides the same fix that the Creative software does.

Alternatively, perhaps the Creative software is essential, and those users who don't have it are did install it, took one look and uninstalled (I'm one), but the uninstaller removed the app software and not the essential driver.
Chris
gyro

Post by gyro »

this is possible, but during my own period of debugging i did keep trying it after installing the WM9 runtimes and WM11 runtimes
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Ah, that does suggest indeed installation of Creative software is required :(
Chris