Can tags which are not supported by MM set by a script?

This forum is for questions / discussions regarding development of addons / tweaks for MediaMonkey for Windows 4.

Moderators: Gurus, Addon Administrators

dip

Can tags which are not supported by MM set by a script?

Post by dip »

As far as I know there is no direct way in MM to set a tag which is not supported by MM. I need for example to set the COMPiLATION tag for compilation albums (this tag is used by my squeezecenter software). At the moment I set this tag using a different tag editor like mp3tag or foobar2000. Since I would like to use MM for all tagging issues, it would be great if such generic tags could at least set by a script.

Is this possible and does such a script already exist?

Or is it possible to "map" one of the custom tags supported by MM to a specific generc tag name (like COMPILATION)?
nohitter151

Re: Can tags which are not supported by MM set by a script?

Post by nohitter151 »

No, scripts can't access any fields that MM can't access.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

nohitter151 wrote:No, scripts can't access any fields that MM can't access.
you think it is possible to have a script for monkey connect to another vbs script that works with the other program and set the tags by running that second script?

or do you think this is in the area of don't monkey with my other program or the tree will fall down suggestions? :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

In MM4 it should be possible for scripts to access any tag, regardless of whether or not MM supports it natively. There was a script written to read tags directly from the file but it was a bit unstable, and when I tried to do this I found that a lot of tags were non-standard and I couldn't read them (Picard Tagger for one does not write the PUID tag according to the ID3 standards).
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
dip

Post by dip »

Do you know if in MM4 it will be possible to edit any tags e.g. through an advanced tag editor (like it is e.g. possible in foobar2000 or mp3tag)? This was a feature which was already requested in MM2 and it was announced to be included in MM3 (which is unfortunately not the case until now). I find it really unsatisfying that I must always use another tag editor to add tags which are not supported by MM3.

And is there already a time frame when the first beta of MM4 will be released.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I don't know if initially it will be available natively, but I've been told it should be available via scripting so a script could be written to allow this, yes. It may well appear natively within the MM4 release cycles. I honestly don't know what the time frame is, or even if the devs have agreed one yet.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
dip

Post by dip »

Thanks for the explanation.