CD track info automatically lost in seconds [#6422]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

redcat29

Re: CD track info automatically lost in seconds [#6422]

Post by redcat29 »

I'm also a Windows 7 Home Premium user and can confirm that this problem continues to exist in 1300. Currently it is so much trouble to rip in MM that I'm forced to use another program. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Have you followed steps from http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6422 as based on your reports I guess you are not following steps correctly?

I retested this today using 20 CDs on New MM.DB (I renamed old one so that MM creates clean library) and have no issues to RIP all of them:
1. Insert CD in Drive
2. Scan it in MM library
3. Eject CD
4. Repeat steps 1-3 for 20 CDs
5. Right click on Each CD and fetch info from FreeDB
6. Insert one with correct info into Drive and RIP it
7. While CD is Ripped you can correct any info for other CDs in your RIP Queue

This insert CDs twice but saves time on waiting to RIP finishes and than continue to the next.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

I appreciate the input and I haven't tried that method but TBH it's a lot easier to install the older version from FileHippo. That rips without any problems. Thanks anyway though.
redcat29

Post by redcat29 »

Peke,

No question your method works as promised, but it then requires the extra step to either delete the duplicate cd from the library or filter the view. I realize that it doesn't take much additional effort, but fetching the info from FreeDB is working without problems in 1294. My choice is to either revert back to 1294 and stick with that version or continue to update MM and follow your steps. Given I've got a lifetime license, I guess I'll go with option 2. Thanks for your help.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I appreciate all of your inputs, the problem may raised when we updated Burning/RIP engine. I never observed that behavior althru I added all of my CDs to MM Library.

OK Lets see when MM exactly reset and if this helps:
1. Open MM
2. Insert CD
3. Select CD on Tree
4. Right click on CD -> Fetch FreeDB info (Track View should Show Updated Data)
5. Right click On CD -> RIP Audio CD

On all three CDs in my PC all work without problem.

If that do not work for you. Have you two tried to Delete CD from Device Manager and Restart System?

NOTE: I prefer step I proposed due the fact that while CD is Ripping I can correct Tag info for those that will be ripped later. Especially as MM 4 will have Accurate RIP which slowdown RIP Speed due the additional CRC checks of Read Data.
Best regards,
Peke
redcat29

Post by redcat29 »

I'm having exactly the same problem described by ZenGeekDad in the first post:
My installation of Media Monkey Gold (MMg) is now losing CD track information within seconds of downloading it from Freedb. This happens whether or not I touch my keyboard or mouse. It typically takes anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds for the downloaded track info to revert to no track info (i.e., just "track 1" instead of "Main Title" by "Randy Newman" from "Seabiscuit" of the "soundtrack" genre).
In my case it is in the 10-20 second range before the information is cleared. Something is forcing a new read of the inserted cd every 10-20 seconds. If I'm quick enough to fetch the FreeDB info and then give the RIP command before the next read I'm able to complete a RIP. I just went through your steps (1-5) and encountered the same problem if I was too slow. As a test I did fetch the FreeDB info for the cd and just watched the screen rather than attempt to RIP. Within that 10-20 second range the screen cleared of all the cd data, the message below was "Reading Tracks . . " and the basic track info (track1, track2 . . . ) was displayed. I just waited and once again after 10-20 seconds the exact same process (cleared screen, reading tracks, etc.) took place. Any thoughts on why a new read is being forced?

Thanks again for looking.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I suspected something like that. It was reported in the past by one of two users. Have you tried to delete all CD drives from Device manager and let windows install Original on the startup?
Best regards,
Peke
redcat29

Post by redcat29 »

I went ahead and deleted the cd device and let Windows reinstall the cd drive. Loaded MM and attempted to pull the FreeDB info and RIP the cd. Unfortunately there was no change in the behavior. Something continues to force a read of the cd every 10-20 seconds. I then uninstalled MM1300, rebooted and then reinstalled MM1294. Went through the same steps to RIP a cd and it worked perfectly -- no additional drive reads. Something must have been changed in the code between 1294 and 1297. If you have any thoughts I'm more than willing to troubleshoot, but for right now none of the revisions to MM beyond 1294 make any difference to me so I'm fine where I am. Thanks again for your help.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Can you try to install 1300 and use hpCDBurn.dll from 1294?
Best regards,
Peke
redcat29

Post by redcat29 »

Reinstalled 1300 and tried to RIP in case just the updating the program alone might of helped. It didn't. Then replaced hpCDBurn.dll with the 1294 version but sorry to say still no change. Like I say I'm fine sticking with 1294, but willing try things if it might help solve the problem. Thanks.
Peke

Post by Peke »

:( Will check with Ludek on what changes are made in 1294-1300 regarding Burning engine.
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Post by Peke »

Ludek confirmed my thought, can you tell me whether it appears only if CD is selected under the Library -> Location node?
Best regards,
Peke
snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

from memory, it seemed to happen regardless of what node was selected.
redcat29

Post by redcat29 »

I'm back using 1294, but I don't remember any difference. At times when I inserted a cd the FreeDB screen would automatically display and sometimes I'd have to right click on the cd node. Either way the info would be lost in 10-30 seconds. Thanks again for pursuing this.
scottb

Post by scottb »

Pavle,

Just thought I'd supply some info and offer assistance in getting to the bottom of this bug. Count me as another 1300 user that is seeing this problem.

I have a fresh load of Win 7 Pro 64-bit with a Samsung SH-S183L DVD burner. Only things loaded so far are Chrome, Avast, and MM. And right now I have removed MM1300 and dropped back to MM1294 and can confirm this now works for me also.

Here is what I observed while I had MM1300 installed. If I logged in with an administrator account, when a CD was inserted and the info was downloaded from freeDB, the cdplayer.ini got created in that user's directory where it was supposed to be and I had no problems with losing the info for that CD. When I would run MM as a regular user, insert CD, download info from freeDB, no cdplayer.ini file got created under that user's section or under c:\windows. Around 10-25 seconds later, the CD node appears to refresh and all info is lost. I can force it to download the info again and within 10-25 seconds, it will refresh and lose the info again. This will just keep repeating and each time, I found no cdplayer.ini file created in either of the two locations.

I don't rip a whole lot of CDs, so it isn't much hassle for me to just run MM as an administrator when I need to rip some CDs. So I'll get MM1300 loaded back up soon and see if there is any difference now that the cdplayer.ini file exists for the regular user. We'll see if MM accesses the file now. Let me know if there is anything I can help out with to test as MM is my primary program I use for all my mp3 needs.

-Scott