inferring album and artist from folder hierarchy

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

vjchris

inferring album and artist from folder hierarchy

Post by vjchris »

I'm trying to import a large collection of wav files which are organized into folders by album within artist, but it's not working. No matter what options I select, I only get the track names. The folder hierarchy looks something like this:

Albums
  • America
    • Greatest Hits
      • 01 blah.wav
        02 blah.wav
        03 blah.wav
    Zappa, Frank
    • Overnight Sensation
      • 01 blah.wav
        02 blah.wav
        03 blah.wav
Am I missing something? I tried WinAmp for a comparison and it at least got the album names, though it didn't get the artist names (however in every other respect I hated it and immediately uninstalled it). Do I have to write my own software again? Is there any way to create the database directly from data which I create using my own methods?

ck
Lowlander

Re: inferring album and artist from folder hierarchy

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Auto-Tag from Filename can do this for you: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... lename.htm
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
vjchris

Post by vjchris »

Lowlander wrote:Tools > Auto-Tag from Filename can do this for you: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... lename.htm
I think you might be misunderstanding my situation. The files in question are WAV files, not MP3s, so they don't and can't have tags.

ck
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You want tags in the database no? That's what Auto-Tag from Filename does. Furthermore MediaMonkey does support certain tags in WAV files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... erties.htm
vjchris

Post by vjchris »

I understand you now, sorry for the confusion. Auto-Tag From Filename does solve the problem. Thanks for the help.

When I get new albums, will it always be necessary to run Auto-Tag as an extra step after Add/Rescan? Or will Add/Rescan be able to extract the artist and album from the path, now that Auto-Tag is correctly configured for my naming scheme?

My confusion stems from the "Infer track properties from Filenames + Path" setting in the Library options: It seems like this should do what Auto-Tag From Filename does, but without the extra step.

I also noticed MM tries to write the tags back to the WAV files. I really don't like this, is there any way to disable it? Source files should never be modified without a confirmation. It would have changed the dates on all my files. Luckily my files are all on read-only network shares. Also after I clicked "No to All" it still iterated through them all, which seems a bit silly.

ck
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, you'd still need to use Auto-Tag from Filename on newly imported files.

My hunch is that Infer track properties (Tools > Options > Library) uses the masks under [SongMasks] in the MediaMonkey.ini file. If my hunch is correct you could only set 1 mask (Mask1) to your format and it would work on scanning of tracks.

MediaMonkey only changes tags when you allow it to, and that's the purpose of editing for most people. Just disable Update tags when editing properties under Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

vjchris wrote:
I think you might be misunderstanding my situation. The files in question are WAV files, not MP3s, so they don't and can't have tags.

ck
Wrong, WAV files do have tags (called RIFF chunks) and MM does tag them.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
vjchris

Post by vjchris »

Lowlander wrote:My hunch is that Infer track properties (Tools > Options > Library) uses the masks under [SongMasks] in the MediaMonkey.ini file. If my hunch is correct you could only set 1 mask (Mask1) to your format and it would work on scanning of tracks.
Your hunch was 100% correct! Awesome! THANK YOU!

ck
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Thanks for confirming, now I know (and hopefully remember).