Best way to physically move a hard drive from a PC to a NAS?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pirateg00

Best way to physically move a hard drive from a PC to a NAS?

Post by pirateg00 »

Hi All,

"Standard" disclaimer: I tried finding an answer, and it is probably somewhere, but I came up with nothing...

Anyway, I will be installing one of my local hard drives from my computer to a NAS so I can use it throughout the house on other systems without leaving my main computer on. This hard drive contains all my songs and I will be (until I run out of space) using the same exact drive in the NAS. Is there an easy way to reassign the location but keep it on the same physical drive and still keep all of my data/tags?

Hope this makes sense and thank you in advance!

-Jake
Lowlander

Re: Best way to physically move a hard drive from a PC to a

Post by Lowlander »

You first need to check if the NAS can read the hard drive format (most likely NFTS), because if it can't you can't move the drive in the first place (unless you reformat it in the NAS to a drive format it understands.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

almost all nas device will reformat any disk used in the raid bays.

the only way you could keep the same data on the disk is to use at as an external drive and hook it up to the NAS usb port.

then depending on the nas, you can possibly 'share' the external drive and it will show up as a normal share when you connect to the nas.

This of course has nothing to do with MM, expect that MM will no longer recogonize your files as part of the library since they are in a new network location instead of local drive.

I don't know if the media id updater script can handle moving to/from a network drive, so I will defer to anyone else's ideas there.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Teknojnky wrote:as nothing to do with MM, expect that MM will no longer recogonize your files as part of the library since they are in a new network location instead of local drive.

I don't know if the media id updater script can handle moving to/from a network drive, so I will defer to anyone else's ideas there.
No, you have to use Bex's SQL viewer script and run some queries to update the file paths.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
pirateg00

Post by pirateg00 »

Excellent, thank you for your responses.

It is coming in today (Synology 211) and I will do some looking around in the product literature to see if it will reformat automatically or not. (for the immediate future I am just setting up a single drive NAS and will upgrade to (2) brand new drives in the future when room runs out).

If it is to be reformatted, I can probably have MM move them to one of those, and then move them back to the NAS? anyone know of a better way to do this?

thanks!
drsfp

Post by drsfp »

May I inquire how the Synology NAS is working out for you? I'm considering buying one myself.

Thanks