CD track info automatically lost in seconds [#6422]

To get bugs in the current release fixed, please report them here.

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: CD track info automatically lost in seconds [#6422]

Post by Peke » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:54 pm

Have you tried to manually create cdplayer.ini and in security properties tab add user Everyone along with Full Access?
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

teetje

Post by teetje » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:53 am

Same problem here. With MM and administrator rights I created cdplayer.ini and changed the permissions for normal user to 'full control'. Started MM with normal user, retrieved info from freeDB. Although in MM the tracks are shown, in explorer I can see that the file cdplayer.ini hasn't changed. After 15 seconds the list in MM got lost. On the other hand I am able to change (and even deleter) the file cdplayer.ini manually in explorer with my normal user account. Starting MM with administrator rights works fine. I am using MM version 3.2.1.1297

PJ in FL

Post by PJ in FL » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:47 am

Same problem with the display refreshing every 20+ seconds.

Conditions:
- Win XP SP3
- MediaMonkey 3.2.2.1300 and 3.2.0.1294
- CD in local DVD-ROM drive
- CD not listed on freedb

The refresh cycle continue with the Properties dialog open, clearing any entry changes made.

The refresh cycle STOPS once any change is made in the Properties dialog. I changed the Artist entry from the default to "Workout" (one of a set of workout CDs that I want to put on my iPod for runs).

Hope the additional information helps the developers locate and correct this "feeture".
-------------------------------
PJ in (sunny) FL

crgn

Post by crgn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:15 pm

This has had me climbing the walls over the past few months and I'm glad someone else has seen this bug. Load CD, finds info, open CD rip as fast as possible and in five seconds the info vanishes. Gah. Going to try the previous version suggested above.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:50 pm

You might want to use EAC as it also supports AccurateRip: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... id=0&nav=0
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Brad

Post by Brad » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:37 am

I am currently running MM 3.2.3.1303 and the bug is still there.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:38 am

That would be expected when checking the changelog: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/searc ... atus_id=-2

Another

Post by Another » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:17 am

Running MediaMonkay 3.2.4.1304 on Windows XP, but under non-admin account, have the same problem.

I fact I quickly did "get album info from freedb" and then rip, and while all the files were named with the freedb song,, when the freedb info disappeared it apparently stopped adding those attributes to the tracks. So some of the tracks ripped from CD do not have an internal title, artist, album, date, etc. but some tracks are correctly tagged internally.

ZenGeekDad

Post by ZenGeekDad » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Update: I recently allowed Media Monkey to upgrade itself to 3.2.4.1304, and this bug from Hades is back! So I reverted to good old 3.2.0.1294, and life is good again (no bug).

Surely the very talented folks (no sarcasm meant!) who brought us this software gem (I do love MMG) can figure out from the change log between 3.2.0.1294 and 3.2.1.1297 what they did wrt auto update functionality?

Support replies offering (so-far unsuccessful) efforts at workarounds are fine short-term bandaids, but in the upgrades from 3.2.1.xxxx to 3.2.2.xxx, or to 3.2.4.xxxx, shouldn't this have been fixed? I have a massive CD collection, and buy often, so RIPPING IS A BIG DEAL.

So far, trusty old 3.2.0.1294 is not incompatible with anything else I use, but that can't last forever. PLEASE invest in getting to the root of this before you leave your customers stranded with obsolete software! And PLEASE don't even contemplate releasing MMG4 without fixing this. Send an invite to users plagued with this bug, to test a beta for you. The frustration and disappointment of paying for MMG4 someday, only to have to revert to MMG3.2.0.1294 would be hard to fathom.

I realize it must be challenging to study something you can't reproduce in your lab. So, here's a thought: have every MMG employee install the software on every PC they own at home. This will give a variety of platforms and particulars. If any one of them observes the problem reported here, then you can dissect that test case. Or am I naive? Is there only a couple employees? (No offense intended; perhaps one brilliant programmer does it all?) If so, then loan the software out to friends and family. Or post a geographical area in which a user seeing the trouble could volunteer for a "house call" (from Dr. MediaMonkey). But don't let this fester. Please.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:38 pm

The last couple versions were only emergency releases in response to Apple updates. They weren't releases to fix MediaMonkey bugs of which most have been addressed in MediaMonkey 4, which is the next version. So many of the current bugs have been worked on already, but have been fixed for version 4 which is slated as the next version. Any 3.2.x versions that have come along have focused on fixed Apple compatibility issues which have no workarounds available.

chad.farmer

Post by chad.farmer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:22 pm

I just bought MediaMonkey gold, 3.2.4.1304, which is the currently posted download for MediaMonkey. I can not express how disappointing it is to encounter this problem and then read this problem report, and find out that the problem (and all others) will be fixed in version 4 (which happens to require a new payment). Nevertheless…

I have this problem on Windows XP Pro SP3 with MM 3.2.4.1304. I run with a userid that does not have administrator privileges (on purpose),

To reproduce this problem: With a CD in the E: drive, right-click on E: drive in MM's navigation window and select "Get Album Info from Freedb". The album information is displayed. Press F5 (or select View->Refresh) and the information reverts to "Track 01", etc. The reason that the freedb info is lost after a few seconds is that Windows is broadcasting something like a file system change or window refresh message that has the same effect on MM as pressing F5. It is this periodic refresh from unknown sources that makes this a more serious problem that simply avoiding the F5 key. When the track information is disappearing after 10-20 seconds, it is not possible to rip my CDs (the point of buying MM).

When runas an administrator userid, this does not happen, F5 repaints the track list with the album info from freedb.

I really do not want to run MM as administrator. Clearly this is a problem with permissions. So where is the temp file or Registry key that I need to change to give my non-admin userid modify permissions?

Note: The temporary directory configured in Tools -> Options -> General is under the non-admin userid's Documents and Settings, which has modify permissions for itself.

JonW

Post by JonW » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Here is a fix for all this (Well, worked for me anyway :wink: ):

Go to your roaming profile directory and create a folder called MediaMonkey. The next time MM scans a disk it will create the missing CDPlayer.ini there and all will be well!

That is: you need to create this folder (Win7, might be slightly different in Vista - In XP will be completely different!):
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey

The quickest way to do this is:
- Paste (or type) %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming into your Explorer address bar and press return
- In the window that opens, right-click and create a New > folder
- Give the folder the name MediaMonkey and you are done

For those who have come across cmd.exe you can do the above by pasting the following onto the command line:
md %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey
(or create a batch\cmd file with that as the only line and run it)

Looking at the file access process, MM tries to access CDPlayer.ini in this folder but just gives up if the folder isn't there. Normally you would expect it to try to create the folder, or look in the 'Local' area and try there (which is where all the other MM files are, and probably where it should be putting the file).

Apart from that MM is great - keep up the good work :D

Alyosha7

Post by Alyosha7 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:41 pm

OMG! After banging my head for a year over this issue, someone finally solves it. Such a simple solution at that! Why are the MM folks not on top of this?

Thanks Jon

sirandar

Post by sirandar » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:50 am

Thank you soooooooo much JonW ...... that bug drove me nuts

Worked like a charm
JonW wrote:Here is a fix for all this (Well, worked for me anyway :wink: ):

Go to your roaming profile directory and create a folder called MediaMonkey. The next time MM scans a disk it will create the missing CDPlayer.ini there and all will be well!

That is: you need to create this folder (Win7, might be slightly different in Vista - In XP will be completely different!):
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey

The quickest way to do this is:
- Paste (or type) %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming into your Explorer address bar and press return
- In the window that opens, right-click and create a New > folder
- Give the folder the name MediaMonkey and you are done

For those who have come across cmd.exe you can do the above by pasting the following onto the command line:
md %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey
(or create a batch\cmd file with that as the only line and run it)

Looking at the file access process, MM tries to access CDPlayer.ini in this folder but just gives up if the folder isn't there. Normally you would expect it to try to create the folder, or look in the 'Local' area and try there (which is where all the other MM files are, and probably where it should be putting the file).

Apart from that MM is great - keep up the good work :D
Peace through music

MM687

Post by MM687 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Works for me too on XP: %userprofile%\Application Data\MediaMonkey
MM guys and gals please note that this is a BUG!

Thanks.