MM4 Portable Mode [#7520]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

robojock

MM4 Portable Mode [#7520]

Post by robojock »

I think when installing mm4 in portable mode there shouldn't be a option to create a start menu entry and a desktop shorcut. If a user wants a desktop shortcut they can create there own?
Lowlander

Re: [1353] MM4 Portable Mode

Post by Lowlander »

I think there should be as it makes it much easier for the user when the choice is available during installation.
robojock

Post by robojock »

I disagree with you Lowlander, take foobar for example when you select to install the portable version, it just installs into a directory, no traces of it in the start menu or a desktop shorcut and no file association either. With mm4 and that option it creates a start menu entry and a desktop shortcut, when you move mm to a different drive or somewhere else you start menu entry is going to point to where it remembers mm was installed to.

maybe check out this wiki link?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's an option, why take the convenience away, if you don't want to use it, just don't.
robojock

Post by robojock »

Yes it is a option, i opted to have mm installed portable, then i WANT it portable. Whats the use of having a portable option when it is NOT completely portable?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

robojock wrote:Yes it is a option, i opted to have mm installed portable, then i WANT it portable. Whats the use of having a portable option when it is NOT completely portable?
So just uncheck those options? What's the big deal?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If MediaMonkey Portable installs all contained in a single folder I might consider it instead of using the regular version. Although there won't be anything portable about my use of it and thus menu items are useful.
robojock

Post by robojock »

@nohitter & Lowlander

That's what im trying to say, installing mm4 as a portable version does not give you that option. IT installs a start menu shortcut, when it shouldn't and there is no way to tell mm not to do that, it should automatically NOT add a start menu shortcut when you select to install it portable.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So you're saying that the options to create Start Menu and Desktop shortcuts isn't given like when installing in normal mode?
robojock

Post by robojock »

No im saying it is "forced", if i want to install mm portable i dont want it install a start menu entry or a desktop shortcut, it doesnt give me that option it makes mm portable with the start menu entry. Its easy for me to just delete the shortcut and the start menu entry, but what about the people who are so clued up with that? Move mediamonkey to another directory and later click on the start menu entry it gives a error...
jkemp

Post by jkemp »

This thing is installing all over the place. If it's portable it should not be using the \User\Application Data\MediaMonkey and \User\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey directories.

1) Creates start menu folder in "All Users." (only way to stop it is too delete it after it's created)
2) Creates MediaMonkey folders with sub-directories in %USERPROFILE%.

Documents and Settings\User\Application Data

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\MediaMonkey
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\MediaMonkey\Scripts
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\MediaMonkey\Skins
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\MediaMonkey\Trash

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\Previews
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\VirtualCD

3) Creates item in Add/Remove Programs: MediaMonkey 4.0
4) Creates a file called MediaMonkey.registry where MediaMonkey is installed. (haven't check to see if registry items are still created)
5) Creates MM.db in MediaMonkey root directory. No need for .ini entry. (I think this is what they think makes it "Portable")
6) After editing MediaMonkey.ini to change VirtualCD and Previews directory they are no longer created, but the base MediaMonkey directory still appears under \Local Settings\Application Data empty.

7) Writes and leaves Internet browsing data to:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.

Had to change these settings in the MediaMonkey.ini file: (so that if the drive letter changes it can still find the directories)

[System]
WinampPath=.\WinAmp.exe
TempDir=\Temp\
CacheDir=.\Data\VirtualCD\
PreviewDir=.\Data\Previews\

[Options]
CommonImagesFolder=\Documents\Pictures\Coverart\

[Masks]
DownloadLocation=\Downloads\%A\%L\%S

[Podcasts]
Glb_DownloadLocation=\Documents\Podcasts\%L\%S

[PodcastMasks]
Mask1=\Documents\Podcasts\%L\%S

[DownloadMasks]
Mask1=\Downloads\%A\%L\%S

If all these directories and entries have to be created then it needs to clean up after itself. Can you imagine. Every PC one listen to their music on from a portable hard drive, they would leave all this behind. The reason I point the \TEMP\ to the USB is so all the coverart that's cached doesn't constantly be re-created every time I change computers. I have over 4000 folders with AlbumArt.
Last edited by jkemp on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jkemp

Post by jkemp »

Also, is there a chance the Media Codecs Pack be portable and/or self contained?
Can the MediaMonkeyPortable be programed to find VlcPortable?
Last edited by jkemp on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jkemp

Re: MM4 Portable Mode [#7520]

Post by jkemp »

Thanks Peke.