1385: losing album art on tracks as they play [#8051,8223]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

rycher

1385: losing album art on tracks as they play [#8051,8223]

Post by rycher »

I'm using MM4 built 1385 under Windows 7 sp1, Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz, 4GB ram, 1 DVD reader, 1 HD (C:\).
I've upgraded from MM3, where all my albums had artwork, normally as a linked file in the album directory, file name could be anything.

When I play tracks in MM4, upcoming tracks have their artwork, the link points to the right place (tooltip on the artwork gives the correct path and filename). But as soon as they play, they lose the artwork, MM4 displays the generic empty jewel case, and if I go in the track details, on the artwork image the tooltip now gives the path without the filename. But the file is still there in the directory.

And once that's done, I've lost the link. If I close and start MM4 again, what played doesn't have artwork anymore... :-?
nohitter151

Re: 1385: losing album art on tracks as they play

Post by nohitter151 »

Can't reproduce.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Peke

Post by Peke »

No reproduce either.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rycher

Post by rycher »

Ok, so it seems to be tied to the custom skin I use. I display the artwork in the player and miniplayer (which is what I use most of the time). I switched to the Glided skin and I don't lose the artwork now. I've used my custom skin for a couple years now with MM3 without problem. I will try to have a look at that at some point, but maybe it can give you pointers.

Also, I find that displaying artwork takes a lot more time than it used to. When displaying artwork for the selected track and clicking on various tracks in a list, it takes from 0.5 to 2 seconds to display the artwork, during which time we see the default empty artwork. In MM3 it was instantaneous or almost.
rusty

Post by rusty »

rycher,

Can you PM me with a copy of the skin that triggers the bug?

btw, re. performance of loading images in the Art&Details window, I've noted that at:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8039

Thanks.

-Rusty
rusty

Post by rusty »

Rycher,

I received the skin and was able to reproduce. Thanks.

Tracked at: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8051

-Rusty
rycher

Re: 1385: losing album art on tracks as they play [#8051]

Post by rycher »

I've installed build 1400 and it seems to work now, thanks!

Still I have two questions about the artwork management:

1- Why can't we tell MM4 to just link to a file like in MM3? Trying to re-tag albums that lost theirs, the artwork files are already in the right directory, but the names aren't standardized (some where just saved from the internet with their original name), I don't want to store the artwork in the tag, and saving to a file does create a new copy of the file already there with a standard name.

2- Is there a simple way to make MM4 retag the artwork? Just rescanning the library does not seem to work for albums that lost a link to the artwork.

If you prefer I can start a new thread.

rycher
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Only folder.jpg and name of file are picked up: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 62#p302962
rycher

Post by rycher »

Lowlander wrote:Only folder.jpg and name of file are picked up: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 62#p302962
That topic deals with video file, I'm talking about mp3. MM has picked up in the past any .jpg file found in the album folder, and it seems to still do that as it automatically linked all my mp3 for an album that had no artwork before to the jpg I added today, and that jpg has neither the album name nor is it called folder.jpg.

It still automatically links to any jpg, but now we can't tell it explicitly to do so when adding images, which was possible in MM3.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In MM3 it would only be picked up with Add/Rescan Tracks or File Monitor. So if you added images to the folder you'd need to run either of those to see the images in MediaMonkey.
JeffV64

Post by JeffV64 »

I just installed 1400 and am still seeing this problem. Right now am using the default skin.

I can usually reproduce by selecting a song to play, starting it, stopping it, and exiting MM. On restart the art is "gone".

Let me repeat/add a few oddities:

1) MM seems to think that art is stored on the hard drive, but I have had MM set up to save art to tags. Looking at the tags in Explorer, the art does seem to be there.
2) Strangely, when I first go into properties on a given track, MM tells me that the art size is 160x160 (or sometimes 160x159 or once 160x163), 75 (or 76) kb, and the image type is set to "not specified". Of course the size of my art files is much, much more varied than this. This is a clue that there will be a problem - if the art is shown at what are more likely to be the correct values, then it won't be a problem.

Here is the debug: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34421522/MM%201 ... roblem.LOG

To illustrate the problem I played a song (Fish 'n Chip Paper), stopped it, closed MM, restarted. I had art on initial play but did not have it on reopening.

Next I can look into a way to present this information visually if you need me to.

Jeff
DonTay89

Post by DonTay89 »

I can confirm that the problem still persists in build 1400.
I am using the latest MediaMonkey 4 beta on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit machine.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

So can I.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

PS. This issue is set as resolved in 1401 not 1400.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

I confirm this problem in 1401.

I also noticed something else, which may be related. Aside from the album art sometimes not displaying in skins that show the art in the player. Cover art that has the color white is actually screwed up. See example:

I've noticed similar problems with other covers that have white backgrounds.