How long should Optimize database (complete) take?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

CowMix

How long should Optimize database (complete) take?

Post by CowMix »

Running the latest stable build (3.2.4 Gold I think? I can't access the about screen cause the interface is locked) and I have a 50mb database that I never optimized before (I just realized the option existed haha). I started optimization about 4 or 5 hours ago and I was wondering how long I should wait before I consider that maybe something went wrong and end the process. The modification date on my database says it hasn't changed since earlier this morning and I don't see any journals being generated in the database folder. I have a fairly fast computer (quad core i7 and 7gb of ram) so I didn't expect the process to take so long and task manager is not showing MediaMonkey as using any CPU usage. A good feature to add would be some kind of feedback to let the user know for sure that this process is still processing as planned.
Lowlander

Re: How long should Optimize database (complete) take?

Post by Lowlander »

Depending on the size of the database and how messed up it is it can take a long time. MediaMonkey 4 has improved speed in this area.

I find that running CleanDB (http://sites.google.com/site/owynsmedia ... ts-by-owyn) before optimizing the database does help speed it up (or prevent it from failing).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I would expect a 50MB database to optimize fairly quickly; mine is about 38MB and only takes about 5 minutes. But I've heard of some large databases taking up to several hours to finish.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
CowMix

Post by CowMix »

If I end the process will it corrupt the database?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

CowMix wrote:If I end the process will it corrupt the database?
no. the only ways a DB can be corrupted are either running queries on the DB using some 3rd party tool or MM addon (most addons are fine, just running some specific SQL commands or wrong SQL could damage the DB), or if some action is being made on the DB and the PC loses power. Other than that there are safeguards in place to prevent such problems.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
CowMix

Post by CowMix »

hm for some reason it looks like it wasn't doing anything and just stalled locking the interface, I ended the process and restarted the optimization (complete) and it took less than a minute.
WimYogya

Post by WimYogya »

My big db (475MB, 90.000 tracks) is being optimized completely at the moment. MM3.
For 2 hours already the Windows7 'busy circle' is turning, but I cannot see any progress, nor do I know how long I should expect to wait till I can continue working.
I assume there is no time indicator like a progress bar, or a counter, estimating how long I still have to wait.
Shouldn't/Couldn't such indicator be added?
I simply have no clue if MM hangs or is doing anything...

UPDATE:
After reading Lowlander's suggestion to use Owyn's Clean DB script first, I stopped MM's optimization tool and ran Clean DB.
The report found errors, but I have no clue what they mean and what must be done - with Clean DB or with MM's optimization tool:

ArtistsSongs 1220162 116369 1220164 ***ERROR***
Covers 310143 45688 310144 ***ERROR***
GenresSongs 829168 85955 829169 ***ERROR***

Searched for the explanation of this report, couldn't find it.
Who has the answers?
Thanks.
Wim - 67 - Dutchman in Yogyakarta/Indonesia
Acer Aspire 6935 - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB Ram DDR3, 320 GB hard disk, 1 CD/DVD-writer, 3 external drives (3Tb + 1Tb + 1Tb) - Windows 7 Ultimate - MM4.0.6.1498 debug and updating if necessary
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Use CleanDB, after which you can run Maintain Library.
WimYogya

Post by WimYogya »

I already did, see my update below.
And the errors i do not understand...
Acer Aspire 6935 - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB Ram DDR3, 320 GB hard disk, 1 CD/DVD-writer, 3 external drives (3Tb + 1Tb + 1Tb) - Windows 7 Ultimate - MM4.0.6.1498 debug and updating if necessary
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

CleanDB already fixes these errors, if you run it again it should show no errors.
WimYogya

Post by WimYogya »

I seem to come across new strange phenomenons every time, also now I am back in MM3.
After CleanDB I ran MM Optimization Complete tool for 12 hours, overnight.
Saw no CPU activity from MM when I woke up again, but the everlasting Windows circle was still spinning.
Stopped MM with the TaskManager and restarted it.

The result?
Seaches do not work anymore.
Most of the time NOTHING will be found, whatever I search for.
A few times a result popped up after 10 minutes...

I decided to delete ALL files/tracks again: this time not CLEAR the db (coz I wanted to keep my settings as playlists etc).
But that hope was in vain: I re-installed MM to be sure I had a clean installation, then replaced the new MM.DB with my previous empty-one-with-just-playlists.
MM said it could not load it: cannot update to the current version, or something.
So, what could have been wrong then, in that database?

In this thread I read that an interrupted MM optimization of the db could not cause trouble - only the use of external tools.
Well, I did not use an external tool, apart from the script CleanDB.

At the moment I am rescanning my whole music and video collection again, hoping I can FINALLY start using it in a normal way.
It is very unpleasant that continuously - also now back in MM3 - I experience all kinds of weird trouble.
I don't have any idea what I do wrong.
Who has?

In other words:
What can be the cause of this continuous annoying trouble?