CD track info automatically lost in seconds [#6422]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

rerickson

Re: CD track info automatically lost in seconds [#6422]

Post by rerickson »

Sweeet!! I've been lurking around for a while, and this issue has kept me up at night for so long, just applied this fix to Win 7 64-bit and all is well (finally). Thanks for the info!!!
rusty

Post by rusty »

Just an fyi: this issue is fixed in MediaMonkey 4. You can give it a try via the beta forum.

-Rusty
ZenGeekDad

Post by ZenGeekDad »

JonW wrote: - Paste (or type) %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming into your Explorer address bar and press return
- In the window that opens, right-click and create a New > folder
- Give the folder the name MediaMonkey and you are done
Thanks. I tested this out. It does prevent MM from tossing the manually entered information every time it auto-reads track info. But it does not prevent MM from auto-reading track info every ~10 seconds.

So, this trick finally makes it possible to rip with the later versions of MM. But -- alas -- it's a pain: The auto-read interrupts manual track entry every ~10 seconds, showing a blank screen during that time. And each auto-read lasts ~10 seconds. So with older bug-free versions of MM, entering a full disc' s info might take 2-3 minutes. Whereas with this semi-fix on a newer version of MM, it takes a little over twice that. For large ripping sessions, that adds up!

BUT, if you open track properties, you can continue entering track and CD info even while the auto-reads occur! So, we users just have to get comfortable entering track info through that pop-up screen ("properties"), instead of by editing cells in the spreadsheet view.

One final thought: Curiously, auto-read only nags when the track info is not already present (I'm not sure whether this means MM finds the track info readable from the CD or if it finds it on freedb) . That is, if track info does not come up when MM finds the CD in your drive, then it obsessively endlessly auto-reads, ... but only then (i.e., under no other circumstances). Separate forum threads have covered MM's inabilty to upload manually-entered track info to freedb (e.g., http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... db#p290754). So, until the promised land of MM v.4 finally appears, I think I will do this:

(1) If MM finds no track info,...
(2) Open a separate audio ripper (such as Cowon's JetAudio), and enter track info there
(3) upload that track info freedb (in JetAudio)
(4) Return to MM, and add/rescan these newly ripped tracks into MM

Granted, this is a bit more awkward than just manually entering all track info in MM via the "Properties" pop-up window. But I get the satisfaction of having submitted the info to freedb (and I don't see that annoying cycling of the MM track spreadsheet behind the Properties window, reminding me of this ridiculous bug :wink: ).

... I do wish they would give us a targeted release date for MM v.4 !
neilr8133

Post by neilr8133 »

I have to say, I'm rather disappointed that a bug in a music-management tool...
  • ...which essentially prevents ripping
  • ...which has been known for 1 year (as of yesterday)
  • ...for which known workarounds exist (which imply that someone has figured out where the problem lies, if not exactly what it is)
  • ...which was introduced by a bug-fix release (the exact version-number of which is also known)
I've been waiting months for a `proper' fix to this, and I'm grateful to the other users who have figured and posted the workarounds so I can rip my new CDs. If I were a new user, bought the software, downloaded it, and then couldn't use it, I'd be furious and demanding my money back. Fortunately, I paid a while back and have been using correctly-working versions for a while so I know how it should be acting. As it is, I'm extremely disappointed that a bug which disables one of the primary product features, has been allowed to persist for so long. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried MediaMonkey 4 which has been in beta for months? If I'm not mistaken it's fixed in MediaMonkey 4.
neilr8133

Post by neilr8133 »

Lowlander wrote:Have you tried MediaMonkey 4 which has been in beta for months? If I'm not mistaken it's fixed in MediaMonkey 4.
Hi, Lowlander.

No, I've not tried the v4 beta for a couple of reasons:
  • I have only paid for a v3 license, not a lifetime license, so I don't know what would happen when v4 `goes live' (will my version stop working? Am I even allowed to download it since I don't have a lifetime license? etc)
  • I only know that the v4 beta exists because I was trying to troubleshoot this particular bug; I admit I haven't looked elsewhere, but I don't see mention of the beta in other places, and I'm hesitant to risk upgrading my library to a version that isn't `ready for prime-time'.
  • Judging from a glance at the front page, the v3 software is still being sold, so I would think it safe to assume that some effort is still being made to support it. (I could be wrong, and maybe v3 bug-fixes aren't being made anymore, but I know that in the past they've made efforts to do bug-fix/compatibility updates after iTunes updates, and iTunes just had a update, so I'm always hoping that the next time I load MM it'll let me know about a new bugfix version.)
I know that not every bug can be fixed, and that not every program has full-time development and QA teams behind it, so I try to be patient and give the benefit of the doubt. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect action on something as significant and well-documented as this...is it? Am I missing something?

-Neil
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

- You can still use V3 after V4 is used for as long as you wish with your V3 Gold License. You can only use a free version of MM4 with your V3 Gold License. Do keep a look out for any upgrade offer once V4 is released as there might be one.
- Understandable. MM4 is in it's last beta stages, but if you're not comfortable with a beta don't use it.
- Well you can't stop selling V3 and not sell anything because V4 is coming along. As V4 is coming along V3 is no longer developed. Also some fixes like for this issue require major rework which is why they were deferred to V4 as that is a major rework from V3. iDevice updates do still happen from time to time as these are plugin updates and not core updates and thus much easier to do and many more users are affected. Also this particular bug has a workaround in V3 and a fix in V4.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Note also:
When V4 is released, users who've purchased MM3 within a year of the release date will get a free upgrade license to V4.
Users who've purchased MM3 prior to that will get a coupon entitling them to a significant discount to upgrade to v4.

-Rusty
villaboy

Post by villaboy »

rusty wrote:Note also:
When V4 is released, users who've purchased MM3 within a year of the release date will get a free upgrade license to V4.
Users who've purchased MM3 prior to that will get a coupon entitling them to a significant discount to upgrade to v4.

-Rusty
Great, i feel ok paying $20 for version 3 now
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

rusty wrote:When V4 is released, users who've purchased MM3 within a year of the release date will get a free upgrade license to V4.
I can't remember exactly when I purchased Gold, but it definately stated I could update for life. The About windows states "License: MediaMonkey Gold: Lifetime to <me>". I know MM's value for money but a deal's a deal. What's going on?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

daztrue wrote:
rusty wrote:When V4 is released, users who've purchased MM3 within a year of the release date will get a free upgrade license to V4.
I can't remember exactly when I purchased Gold, but it definately stated I could update for life. The About windows states "License: MediaMonkey Gold: Lifetime to <me>". I know MM's value for money but a deal's a deal. What's going on?
You purchased a lifetime license. Obviously good for life. Rusty is referring to users who bought a 3.x license.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Milopita

Post by Milopita »

Hi,
I bought a Gold 3.x license. Can I upgrade to a lifetime license? I don't really wan to pay the full amount. Is there a discount being offered?
Thanks
rusty

Post by rusty »

All 3.x users who've purchased within a year of the release of MM4 will get a free upgrade.

Other 3.x users will receive a discount coupon.

This will happen soon after the release of MM4.

-Rusty
Milopita

Post by Milopita »

Hi,

I am already using MediaMonkey 4 though and I want to make use of the Gold features like editing auto playlists and many more. There I would like a lifetime license as soon as possible. When can I get an upgrade to one?

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

After MediaMonkey 4 final is released.