submitting to freedb

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

AltairJr

submitting to freedb

Post by AltairJr »

I know this should probably go in wishlist, but i thought someone might have a workaround.

Once in a little while, I have a cd that freedb doesn't have, but amazon will; I was wondering if there was a way to, in this scenario, to tag from amazon, and then submit that info to freedb, so others don't have the same issues (or myself, if I need to re-rip a fresh library later on :P)

Anyway, I know I could use a roundabout method using audiograbber, but I have a tendency to make mistakes, and one of my pet peeves is a cd that has 5+ entries, and one of them might be right.

Others 2¢?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Submitting to FreeDB is currently not available, although a good idea! I don't know if this is planned at all.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
MrPixar

Post by MrPixar »

oh yeah! this should definitely be added as a feature request. I use EAC to rip my CDs, and I like to listen to a lot of trance and imported stuff that simply is not in FreeDB. EAC has a menu item that you can click to submit new CD data. Easy as pie.

If you don't add it to the wishlist..I will!! hahahaha

..seriously, good idea though :wink:
Peke

Post by Peke »

What you add you must furfill 8) :roll: Just kidding.

I know, I submitted more than 100 CD to CDDB before it came commercial with Gracenote. It is one of things I miss in MM, but take note MM do not have CDDB/FreeDB CD IDs in library from which you can post to FreeDB.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
AltairJr

Post by AltairJr »

I was just thinking about that after i made that post; but if this is a feature that could be incorporated, I think a method to the madness would be able to have Virtual CD emulate the CD ID.

And because, well at least the way I see it, I'd only keep an 'emulated' cd long enough to tag it correctly and submit to FreeDB. I think that having this feature could also help reduce the number of 'false positives' you can get from FreeDB

Anyway, if anything, this is probably way low on the priority list, but something that I would very pleased to have.
nachtgieger

submit to freedb is possible using a script

Post by nachtgieger »

I'm sure that submitting to freedb is possible using a script. All necessary information is stored in the database. If somebody will try seriously to implement it, I could help with some know-how.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I thought there was a CD id that MM doesn't store in it's database, which is needed to submit to freedb. Is this not so?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
nachtgieger

submit to freedb via script

Post by nachtgieger »

all you need is in table "Medias". Medias.CDDBId is the CDDB-ID. Medias.CDDBId in hexadecimal is the filename used by CDDB. To submit data you furthermore need the CDs table of content stored in Medias.TOCData.
MrPixar

Post by MrPixar »

Also, can't the ID be pulled from the CD directly? This is what EAC and others do, to my knowledge. EAC doesn't store *anything* about the CD prior to you ripping it. Just an idea