Switching to Linux?

Community forum for discussions completely unrelated to MediaMonkey.

Moderator: Gurus

Benn

Switching to Linux?

Post by Benn »

I am growing tired of Vista and am exploring new avenues for my OS. Linux has come up, but I know little about it. Obviously I can search for dedicated forums and such, but as MM is my most important piece of software... Is it possible to use MM on linux (or via another program) and if so, what distribution would be best for this?

Thanks,

Ben
Lowlander

Re: Switching to Linux?

Post by Lowlander »

Maybe you should browse through this thread: http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic. ... lit=ubuntu
remixedcat

Post by remixedcat »

I recommend ether ubuntu linux or debian or fedora for home use and servers I recommend centos or gentoo.
fizzjob

Post by fizzjob »

FWIW, I was able to install MediaMonkey on Ubuntu 10.04. You need to install Wine first, which will allow you to run Windows programs (with varying degrees of success). I was able to get it to add music to the library and play back MP3s, but never tried to do anything beyond that.

That being said, there is certainly no shortage of music players that are native to Linux.
emilystanfford

Post by emilystanfford »

I recently download Knoppix for a crashed Windows XP computer and found that the computer ran alot quicker under Linux than under Windows.
jmsmrtn98

Post by jmsmrtn98 »

I switched to Ubuntu Linux back in '07. I do have a dual-boot system set up, but I haven't booted into Windows almost since I installed it. I'd say it's worth your time, but I'd check your laptop compatibility (some have issues with suspend/resume). Since I installed Linux my productivity has skyrocketed - and I don't have to worry about viruses to boot =)
Life is too serious to be taken seriously Image
gturner

Post by gturner »

I've found a very robust environment to be VMWare's Player on a Windows 7 box. You can easily load anything you want on VMWare Player and it creates a basic virtual machine for you. You can easily switch back and forth between your virtual machine and Windows 7. You get the best of both worlds.