Any quick way to remove numbers from artist names?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JCfantasy23

Any quick way to remove numbers from artist names?

Post by JCfantasy23 »

My fiance has a lot of music that for some odd reason has numbers in the artist name and it's really annoying when looking through my library database and sorting. We merged the libraries after moving together and hooking up computers through a network. Before this, he and his friends when they lived somewhere else were messing around with their music, and I have no ideas how these artists have all these weird numbers.

It's also irritating to manually do each one. Not sure if it's possible to quickly do it some other way? Thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm using version 4.02

Here's screenshot of library database. This is just SOME of them, there are many more :evil:

DJSigma

Re: Any quick way to remove numbers from artist names?

Post by DJSigma »

I don't know if you can do this with MediaMonkey, but you can do it with MP3Tag, which is also free: -

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

The following will work ONLY if each artist name has 4 characters at the beginning that you wish to remove, so for instance, you have an artist called "002.Cybersonik" which you presumably want to change to "Cybersonik" by removing the "002.", i.e. the first 4 characters. I'm assuming that they all have 4 unwanted characters at the beginning of the name, as they all do in the image you posted. The following is for removing 4 characters from the beginning of the artist name - no more, no less, so bear that in mind!

In MP3Tag, click Action - Actions, then click the upper-right button to create a new action. Give your action a name, which can be anything you like, then hit OK.

On the next screen, hit the upper-right button again and choose "Replace with regular expression" from the drop-down list and hit OK.

On the next screen, in the "Field" drop-down list, select the tag field that's affected. Presumably this will be either ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST. In the "Regular expression" box, type in the following: -

^.{4}

Leave the "Replaces match with" box blank and hit OK and keep hitting OK until you've closed all windows and are back to the main MP3Tag screen. Your action is now set up.

Now all you have to do is load all of your music into MP3Tag, highlight all of the tracks, then go to Action and select the action you created. That will delete the first 4 characters from the field you selected (either ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST). Be careful not to run the action more than once, because if you do it will also delete the next 4 characters as well!

Test it on one track first, just to make sure that you've created the action correctly, because there is no undo!

If both the ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST fields are affected, you can create an action for each, then run both at the same time.
JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. Will try it within the hour. :)
MediaMonkey fan since 2006/ Last.FM Profile / 8Tracks Profile
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

If you want to to it within MediaMonkey then I would suggest ZvezdanD's excellent "RegExp Find & Replace 4.3 w/ 253 presets (2011-07-06) [MM2+]"

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 10#p144452

:)
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

Thank you!
JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

DJSigma wrote:I don't know if you can do this with MediaMonkey, but you can do it with MP3Tag, which is also free: -

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

The following will work ONLY if each artist name has 4 characters at the beginning that you wish to remove, so for instance, you have an artist called "002.Cybersonik" which you presumably want to change to "Cybersonik" by removing the "002.", i.e. the first 4 characters. I'm assuming that they all have 4 unwanted characters at the beginning of the name, as they all do in the image you posted. The following is for removing 4 characters from the beginning of the artist name - no more, no less, so bear that in mind!

In MP3Tag, click Action - Actions, then click the upper-right button to create a new action. Give your action a name, which can be anything you like, then hit OK.

On the next screen, hit the upper-right button again and choose "Replace with regular expression" from the drop-down list and hit OK.

On the next screen, in the "Field" drop-down list, select the tag field that's affected. Presumably this will be either ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST. In the "Regular expression" box, type in the following: -

^.{4}

Leave the "Replaces match with" box blank and hit OK and keep hitting OK until you've closed all windows and are back to the main MP3Tag screen. Your action is now set up.

Now all you have to do is load all of your music into MP3Tag, highlight all of the tracks, then go to Action and select the action you created. That will delete the first 4 characters from the field you selected (either ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST). Be careful not to run the action more than once, because if you do it will also delete the next 4 characters as well!

Test it on one track first, just to make sure that you've created the action correctly, because there is no undo!

If both the ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST fields are affected, you can create an action for each, then run both at the same time.

I'm such a noob with this stuff, but I downloaded and installed the program. I pointed the directory to open the folder where the offending songs are and they loaded in view. When I go to actions on the toolbar though, it's greyed out. Do you know why?

JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

BKKKPewsey wrote:If you want to to it within MediaMonkey then I would suggest ZvezdanD's excellent "RegExp Find & Replace 4.3 w/ 253 presets (2011-07-06) [MM2+]"

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 10#p144452

:)

I installed this too and can't figure out how do it with this either *facepalm*
DJSigma

Post by DJSigma »

JCfantasy23 wrote:i'm such a noob with this stuff, but I downloaded and installed the program. I pointed the directory to open the folder where the offending songs are and they loaded in view. When I go to actions on the toolbar though, it's greyed out. Do you know why?

Actions is greyed out because no songs are selected. If you click on 1 song in the list to highlight it, you can use the Actions menu.

Once you have created the action and tested it on 1 song to make sure you've set it up correctly, you can select all of your songs by first clicking on 1 of them to highlight it, then by pressing Ctrl and A on your keyboard to highlight every song in the list. Once all songs are highlighted, you can run the action from the Actions menu and it will affect all highlighted songs.

And again, I will repeat - Test it on 1 song first. As long as you follow the instructions I wrote for setting up the action, it will work just fine, but I don't want you to make a mistake when setting the action up, then run it on your entire collection without testing it on 1 song first, as that may screw up your tags.
JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

OH, duh, that makes sense. *sheepish* I will be sure to test it on one song first.