Sync from new computer with same music files

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Anonymous Vagrant

Sync from new computer with same music files

Post by Anonymous Vagrant »

Hi,

I have just recently formatted my laptop and MM settings are gone but the music files are backed up. I have problem syncing to my iPod nano 5G. Every time i sync, it asks me to delete everything in my iPod (2700+) songs in order to continue syncing. I don't want to delete them again just to sync back the same songs again. how can i change what MM thinks?
Lowlander

Re: Sync from new computer with same music files

Post by Lowlander »

Did you start with a clean Library after upgrade? If so that would explain. If you let it proceed and delete and resync it shouldn't as on subsequent Auto-Syncs.

You can also try copying the old DB to the new DB location to let it upgrade (http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=17). Some user report though that it might be wise to start anew with syncing.
Anonymous Vagrant

Which is what i did at first.i actually did a backup of the ini,db, and the other file in appdata before formatting but when i try to restore the file on the new MM,i got a missing file error on all my music database thus i went and delete the missing files and rescan my library. I am already dissapointed that my last played and playcount is ytally erased but now i have to resync my iPod??Its too much.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you use a mapped drive prior to the upgrade (or did you move the files outside of MediaMonkey to a new location)?
Anonymous Vagrant

Lowlander wrote:Did you use a mapped drive prior to the upgrade (or did you move the files outside of MediaMonkey to a new location)?
i have no idea what a mapped drive is. But i did copy and paste the ini and db files to a new location to backup them.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sorry, mapped drive is irrelevant here.

You moved to a new PC which means unless you're using the DB from the old PC you have a new DB and thus have to Auto-Sync all as the old DB is needed to remember the last sync status. If you are using the old DB you may have the tracks removed and rescanned which results in the same. Seeing that Play History is lost it would seem you're not using the old data.

To restore the old data just copy the old DB to the new computer (don't copy ini ). After you copy the old DB the files won't play as MediaMonkey is looking in the wrong drive (even if path is exactly the same. Use: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... n+Database

If used correctly your play history and playlists should be intact. I'm not sure if a complete iPod resync is needed or not as I don't know if MediaMonkey can recognize it as the same device on the new PC.

Also see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
Anonymous Vagrant

Lowlander wrote:Sorry, mapped drive is irrelevant here.

You moved to a new PC which means unless you're using the DB from the old PC you have a new DB and thus have to Auto-Sync all as the old DB is needed to remember the last sync status. If you are using the old DB you may have the tracks removed and rescanned which results in the same. Seeing that Play History is lost it would seem you're not using the old data.

To restore the old data just copy the old DB to the new computer (don't copy ini ). After you copy the old DB the files won't play as MediaMonkey is looking in the wrong drive (even if path is exactly the same. Use: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... n+Database

If used correctly your play history and playlists should be intact. I'm not sure if a complete iPod resync is needed or not as I don't know if MediaMonkey can recognize it as the same device on the new PC.

Also see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
Thanks. i still keep my DB file luckily. btw after doing the above(restoring my backup), i got duplicate file of each and every mp3 files. what is happening?

EDIT: nevermind, just found out that i need to disable scan at startup first then restore the db backup and then use the tool to rename the filenames. Thanks btw!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, the Folder Monitoring will need to be disabled. Now you have a restored DB you can try the syncing and see if it accepts the files on the device or not.