Last.fm Playcount Import (2010-03-28) [MM3/4]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Jurgendemooij

Re: Last.fm Playcount Import (2010-03-28) [MM3/4]

Post by Jurgendemooij »

I get runtime error 70 in version 4, whatever the hell that means. I really hate the lack of reliability of MM with scripts.
xxmurder

Post by xxmurder »

I am having a lot of trouble updating my playcounts... I keep getting 'Failed to get XML from LoadXML()' error, no matter what I try. Internet is conencted, I can access my last.fm page, but I keep getting this. I hit 'OK' and get 'Error #76 - Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Path not found; File: C:\MM\Scripts\LastFmImport.vbs" line 246, Column 1'

Any help would be awesome!! last.fm username = xxmurder
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Jurgendemooij wrote:I get runtime error 70 in version 4, whatever the hell that means. I really hate the lack of reliability of MM with scripts.
Please understand that all scripts here are done by users on their own time, we are not obliged to help you.
If you want to help resolve this send me a copy of your database and let me know your last.fm username - PM should be fine.
xxmurder wrote:I am having a lot of trouble updating my playcounts... I keep getting 'Failed to get XML from LoadXML()' error, no matter what I try. Internet is conencted, I can access my last.fm page, but I keep getting this. I hit 'OK' and get 'Error #76 - Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Path not found; File: C:\MM\Scripts\LastFmImport.vbs" line 246, Column 1'

Any help would be awesome!! last.fm username = xxmurder
I've got a fix for this - I seem to have missed one one of the checks if the log folder exists.

I'll upload it shortly onto MM's addon database (I didn't notice this had been released!)
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Updated on my site, and submitted to MediaMonkey's site.
This should also mean auto-updates work from now on!

I should add: I don't find myself using this script as much nowdays, seems my craze on ratings based on playcounts has passed.
As such if anyone wants to take over this script to continue further development, you're welcome - just let me know.
I do still find that version 2 does work perfectly well on my own database and is helpful occasionally to sync the playcounts from my (android) phone and tablet back to my PC's database :)
BionicRooster

Post by BionicRooster »

Could you add an update to the "Added" date from the first play date listed on last.fm? I lost all my databases and have to reimport everything for 70K+ files. I have no other source for first played (Added date).
“Heart disease is a foodborne illness." Caldwell Esselstyn MD
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

BionicRooster wrote:Could you add an update to the "Added" date from the first play date listed on last.fm? I lost all my databases and have to reimport everything for 70K+ files. I have no other source for first played (Added date).
It already adds a first played time/date if you select yes... I don't want to touch the added date though.

There's been an update, I made a bad typo, sorry! Let me know how auto update goes (it *should* work)
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

something weird has happened. I was using the beta 3 version, but it stopped working at about page 80 of 6 hundred and something while importing with an xml error (can't remember exactly as i'm at work at the moment)... so I removed it, put the v2.3 version on and now it immediately throws an error about "unknown object fso"... tried everything but can't get either script to work now :oops:
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Seems MM's site takes a while before the 2.4 update will be approved.

You can get it from my website already: http://www.psykar.com/scripts/
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

psyker, is there a way of completely clearing down the script? as per my last post, I cant get anything working
MM5 latest [Gold] / MMA latest | OnePlus 8 PRO | Noise I make: Pushkin on Soundcloud
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

The error you mentioned was a typo in 2.3 which I've fixed in 2.4, shouldn't need to clear it out.

If you do want to clean it out then go into %appdata%/MediaMonkey/Scripts and delte the lastfmimport folder.
zombiefly

Post by zombiefly »

Psyker7 wrote:The error you mentioned was a typo in 2.3 which I've fixed in 2.4, shouldn't need to clear it out.

If you do want to clean it out then go into %appdata%/MediaMonkey/Scripts and delte the lastfmimport folder.
cheers, i'll update tonight :)
julianfarr

Post by julianfarr »

I liked the general idea of the script, and played around with it, but there were a few things that I wasn't so fond of.

1. I have quite a few instances of songs in my database which are on more than one album (especially where I have a somg on its original album, and then the same song on a compilation album) - I felt that the play count should only be updated on the album which was actually played.
2. I wanted the date last played to be a bit more accurate
3. I came to this quite late. I have had an ipod for years, and have my playcounts saved up from that - I felt that scrobbles from last.fm should add to that, not replace it.

So I started messing around with the last.fm API, and started updating the script using the recently played tracks instead. This list also gives you the name of the album as well as the name of the track, as well as giving details of when the track was played, therefore giving a bit more accuracy on the last played. All I then had to do was change the script so that it adds one to the play count when a track is returned, and only request tracks added to the list since the last update, and hey presto.

What I have no idea about, is whether others are in the slightest bit interested. I would have a way to go before I could "release" the script - I don't know what any of the processes involved would be, and I am not going to bother unless others want it to happen.

Jules
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Nice work!
I'd probably use it myself - they were what I'd attempted to do with my version 3 a while back... but the script has fallen to the way side as I've mentioned previously I think.
julianfarr wrote:
1. I have quite a few instances of songs in my database which are on more than one album (especially where I have a somg on its original album, and then the same song on a compilation album) - I felt that the play count should only be updated on the album which was actually played.
When this was written, last.fm didn't track what album it was from! Nice :)
2. I wanted the date last played to be a bit more accurate
As you mentioned, moving to the recently played list instead was required here. Version 3 does this, but I felt it was very slow for large libraries (days!) as last.fm would take 2-3 seconds per xml file and there were thousands of requests requried. I think last.fm has sped up their servers, and your check for only getting the files since last run is something I had in mind - but I was looking for a way to cache the xml - which proved more difficult that I expected in vbscript (horrible in fact)
3. I came to this quite late. I have had an ipod for years, and have my playcounts saved up from that - I felt that scrobbles from last.fm should add to that, not replace it.
Personal preference this one I think. My phone scrobbles to last.fm, and MM scrobbles to last.fm
When I sync, the difference in *total* counts works out to the scrobbles made on my phone since last update.
If I was adding the plays from last.fm it would duplicate the plays I've done on MM.

For a simple way to release it, just upload the lastFmImport.vbs - people can replace the file in their script directories.
For a bit more work - to package it as an actual release you have to edit the MMIP - which is a glorified zip file.
use 7zip or something - you'll find 4 files - replace the vbs with yours, update the version numbers in install.ini and you're done.

Feel free to release it - just rename the package (add your username or something) perhaps so people don't get confused.
JulianFarr

Post by JulianFarr »

Is it feasible to combine the two into one script, and give people the option of using one or the other by giving two options in the Tools | Scripts menu? I'm not just farming out responsibility, I just don't want to step on any toes - and the two scripts are kind of linked (and 99% of the code is yours).

Is it worth me sending you the changes?

Jules
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Woulda pm'd me but you don't have an account!
email me admin----@-----psykar----.----com
without the -'s (prefer not to feed the spambots)