Backup 6.0 - Updated 01/07/2014

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

gpzbc

Re: Backup 5.8 - Updated 27/10/2010

Post by gpzbc »

As far as I can see, everything looks good. Give it a try on your computer and please let me know if you find anything that falls through the cracks.

So that you can see for yourself:

Here is a screenshot of my "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey" folder

And here is a screenshot of my destination folder for the backup .

The only difference I see is the "MM.DB-journal" file. And I'm not sure what that is.
--
The gpzbc
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

The only difference I see is the "MM.DB-journal" file. And I'm not sure what that is.

To me it works like a temp file while stuff is playing. It disappears and then pops back again.

My MM4 files and folders are really messy not like you suggested at all.
I'll try and work out what's going on and come back in a minute or two.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

When I upgraded to MM4, I recognized that there were files everywhere. So I totally uninstalled MM3 and manually deleted every trace of MM3 on my computer (except for my MM backup folders). Then I was essentially starting new when I installed MM4. And thanks to this script, it was fairly easy to manually restore my backup files to the appropriate (new) destinations. Although I do recall having to manually reinstall many of the scripts and skins. Honestly, the upgrade from MM3 to MM4 was not good. I think the devs needed to smooth that out more before releasing MM4.

Good luck.
--
The gpzbc
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Here we go.
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey
This is a load of rubbish, stuff that is old, outdated, or a straight forward selection of empty folders.
Alright that's how it is.

The thing that now concerns me greatly is why is it that my two most important files are located here. Grrhh.
Namely MediaMonkey.ini and MM.DB [and mediamonkey.m3u8] Nothing else of importance is in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey.

Now we look at C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey

I have all the usual suspects such as Folders of: Equalizer, Plugins, Scripts, Skins, Trash.
In there also I have a MediaMonkey.ini [that 1KB worthless file that was being backup].

Yes I am using MM4.0.3.1476 with Win 7x64.

Thanks for helping,
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I believe all of the files contained in "C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey" are placed there when MM is installed. In other words, they are the default files that are automatically installed during the install process. So I never saw a need to back these files up. As I understand, all of my skins, scripts, customization are now stored in "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey"

I agree with you. If this is not the case, I would love to know so that I can get a proper backup of MM4. Maybe one of the devs will chime in? Or perhaps we should post this question in the general help forum?
--
The gpzbc
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

--
The gpzbc
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

trixmoto, this must be a very difficult time for you. You have/had a wonderful script that we all used as an insurance to safe guard our precious settings. And now reading about the difficulties many people are having as a direct result of the poor installation setup of MM4.
Thanks anyway,
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'm more concerned that the paths of the script don't seem to be pointing in the right place, as this script uses the API to determine the locations - this implies that the API is not currently working.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

Thank you for the great script. I apologize if this has already been covered, but I can't make myself read through the previous 67 pages.

Win7 64-bit; MM 4.0.3.1476. When I run a backup I get the message pane: "Output path currently contains...Do you wish to continue?" I click on "Yes," the pane vanishes, and nothing further happens. However if I then close MM and reopen it, the script immediately completes the backup correctly without my asking it to. Occasionally the backup will run completely and correctly without my having to close MM, but I can't see how the situations differ. I always end up with the the proper result, but is there something I might fix to help the script run correctly each time?
Can't afford a signature.
lordbear

Can't figure out Output Path and Output Archive settings

Post by lordbear »

I've been playing around with this off and on for days. My issue is that I can not check the checkbox for "Output Archive".

I have played with all sorts of strings in there. Just a simple filename like "backup.zip" (which would make the most sense to me, as this is specified separately from the Path), path with simple filename. I've also tried filename made with parameters ("MMBackup_<Y><M><D>-<H><N>.zip"),and path with parameter-filename. I can't click the checkbox!

I love your scripts, and I see that you try to be helpful with bubble help, but I really do wish there was some documentation on these things. (And it's not just you *sigh*)

Thanks in advance!
Bear
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

It sounds like you need to register your dll. See this post:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... bc#p258498

But that was the instructions for MM 3.XX. And now on MM 4.XX, your dll is stored at "C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Scripts\XZip.dll"

So, on MediaMonkey 4.XX, the new instructions are:

a. Open command prompt by typing cmd.exe into start menu.
b. right-click on the command prompt shortcut and select "Run as administrator"
c. Input this command: regsvr32 "C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\Scripts\XZip.dll"

I hope that helps!
--
The gpzbc
lordbear

Post by lordbear »

Hello gpzbc,
yes, that did help. The registration succeeded and the checkbox is now 'live'.

However, now the issue is that I get an error when I backup. "Backup cancelled because output folder already exists." Well, of course it exists! I had to specify it for "output path". Since this field uses a *browse* feature, you can only specify a folder that EXISTS. Argh.

I do wish there was more documentation on this.

I simply want to specify my target folder and, within that one folder, generate a series of backups in the form of ZIP files, using the parameters to create unique filenames based on date and time. Should be pretty straightforward.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Good, I'm glad it helped.

This entire thread is actually quite useful. You can find answers to all of your questions just by searching the thread. Here, this should help.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ts#p232627

Let me know if that doesn't work, or if you need anything else. Good luck!
--
The gpzbc
lordbear

Re: Backup 5.2 [MM2+3]

Post by lordbear »

I had posted:
lordbear wrote: However, now the issue is that I get an error when I backup. "Backup cancelled because output folder already exists." Well, of course it exists! I had to specify it for "output path". Since this field uses a *browse* feature, you can only specify a folder that EXISTS. Argh.

I do wish there was more documentation on this.

I simply want to specify my target folder and, within that one folder, generate a series of backups in the form of ZIP files, using the parameters to create unique filenames based on date and time. Should be pretty straightforward.

"gpzbc" replied and suggested that I read more of these forums posts, and provided a linked URL which appears to search for "exists" It lead me to page 40 near the bottom (I also kept reading many pages after this) where another user also reported the error I am getting "Backup cancelled because output folder already exists." Trixmoto himself replied:
trixmoto wrote: However, the reason for the error is that you have not ticked either the "cleanup output path" (which will delete the contents of this folder before starting a new backup) or "overwrite existing" (which will overwrite the existing backup) options.
My problem remains. I don't want to "delete the contents of the folder before starting a new backup. I also do not want to "overwrite existing" files. I would like to have ONE folder path that sequential backup ZIP files are written to. Can I not have a "MMBackup" folder where each backup gets a unique filename, based on date and time and that the prior backup are left in there when subsequent backups are performed?
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I get the sense from your response that you want someone else to respond. Maybe someone else will chime in, but I'm pretty confident that my advice to you is good. Just give it a try, and I think you will find that it works exactly as you want it to work. I am pretty sure that those two options (overwrite existing backup, and cleanup output path) apply to the main backup, not the zipped backup.

I have it set up exactly as you describe. I have all of my backups going to a "MM Backup" folder. I don't have the "cleanup output path" box checked, but I do have "Overwrite Existing Backup" option checked, and every time I run the backup script, the newest backup files get put into the MM Backup folder (overwriting the old backup). I also have the option checked to have a zipped folder of the backup files saved to my "Archive" folder within my MM Backup folder. Since I have the zipped mask set to write it with the date and time, I have a nice little archive of backups saved according to date. Think of it as two different backups. One is zipped, and one is not.

In other words, just try what I suggested. Like I said, I think it will work out exactly as you want it to.
If it is helpful, here are my settings.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 90#p335223

Good luck!
--
The gpzbc