Problems with syncing

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

pomozki

Problems with syncing

Post by pomozki »

does any of this sound familiar to anyone?
after years of syncing with iTunes I've been recently syncing with MM cos I now do everything else on MM anyway
1) it is way sl-ooow-er than iTunes - I've synced the same playlists and there's no comparison.

2) for no apparent reason it sometimes skips several files. I thought the problem was the songs themselves but when I sync the same playlist with iTunes, they all go through OK. What's more, MM just says something like "could not sync XXX songs, see iTunes for details"! iTunes never skips songs unless it can't find them

3) tonight, I waited patiently for 296 songs in a playlist to sync. MM worked its way through them and finally finished the job, saying "1 item could not be synced. See iTunes for more information" ... but when I went to the iPhone not a single song had in fact been synced. The playlist was missing.

I've now got into a routine of doing all my editing with MM but all my syncing and report printing with iTunes but it's a real hassle keeping both programs running.
any help appreciated, thanks!
***update: I just tried again. this time the playlist DID sync ... but the iPhone said ""14 items could not be synced. See iTunes for more information".
I guess I should be grateful 282 did make it!
Last edited by Lowlander on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
Lowlander

Re: Problems with syncing

Post by Lowlander »

What version of MediaMonkey/iPhone/iOS?
pomozki

Post by pomozki »

Hi Lowlander
MM - 4.0.5
iPhone = 3GS and
iOS = 5.0.1
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I suggest you try:
1) remove all files from device in MediaMonkey
2) sync single file to device with iTunes
3) Auto-Sync as normal to device with MediaMonkey

For some this procedure clears up issues.
pomozki

Post by pomozki »

Another horrible experience.
1st the good news: I did what you suggested, Lowlander - wiped all music off the iPhone, synced 1 file with iTunes, then synced my MM playlist. It worked! Still a bit slow but all 356 songs got copied. Thanks!

So I set up autosync (until then I'd been manually right-clicking a specific playlist to sync) when the device got connected.

I waited as it processed 1024 songs - it finally reached around 900, then MM crashed ... and when I checked the iPhone, not a single playlist or song had in fact been copied over again.

So I went back to square 1 and tried syncing the original single playlist that previously had synced OK - guess what, it re-ran the error "17 files could not be synced" and I couldn't even be bothered waiting for it to finish.
This is way too frustrating and unless I can sort this out I'll have to keep both MM and iPhone music libraries going simultaneously - MM to edit tags etc and iPhone to sync and print reports.
Not only is this a major hassle, but iPhone goes crazy when it finds that MM has been working behind its back!
Even if MM is shut down when I re-open iTunes, it refuses to recognize the device and every time I have to get into my jailbroken iPhone and delete a file to get iTunes to recognize it.
What's more, iTunes wipes anything I've previously copied over with MM and replaces it with its own playlists.
Aargh!
I'd love to know if others have these problems too
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

pomozki wrote:MM crashed ... and when I checked the iPhone, not a single playlist or song had in fact been copied over again.
That would seem expected as MM updates the iPhone DB at the end (it seems at least).

Capture crashes and auto-sync failures in debug logs (step 4b) and send them to support as I can't reproduce (but I don't use a jailbroken device): http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
pomozki

Post by pomozki »

Lowlander wrote:but I don't use a jailbroken device
thanks heavens I do - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get into the phone, delete the file and get iTunes going again!
anyway thanks, I'll check those logs - just wish MM and iTunes would work more harmoniously together :D
skafan

Post by skafan »

This EXACT problem is occuring with me. I posted this in another topic: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 73#p342173 but it seems more appropriate here:

" I have an Ipod Touch 3rd generation using IOS 5.1.1. I am trying to sync with the latest MM version. I sync ONLY playlists made in MM. I do not have Itunes installed on this computer, but have the drivers via the "Copy Trans Drivers Installer" a user suggested.

It kind of works, but not really. If I only do a small subset of my playlists it seems to work, but when I do them all (5000 songs) It either
1) Force closes MM before the playlist associations occur. This means the songs are on my Ipod, but MM doesn't realize they are. or
2) If it makes it to the end some songs show up grayed out on IPOD. I am not sure if they are on Ipod or not.

This Ipod was Jailbroken and I reset it to "out of the box" via Itunes on another computer."

please help me.
skafan

Post by skafan »

One thing I forgot to mention. It seems like MM is too slow. The sync finishes in Media monkey, but it continues on my Ipod for some time. Perhaps the sync is "disconnecting" before it gets a chance to complete???

I am syncing 19.2Gb of playlists. 16.7 GB appear as music, but the rest (2.8) appear as "other" on Ipod. I imagine those are the grayed out ones. I am new to IOS ipods and do not kow how to tell if they are actually on the Ipod, but It seems they are.
pomozki

Post by pomozki »

skafan wrote: I am new to IOS ipods and do not know how to tell if they are actually on the Ipod
sorry to state the obvious ... but have you tried playing them on your iPod?
skafan

Post by skafan »

I can't tell if they reside on the ipod because they appear on the Ipod...However they are grayed out" and unavailble for playback. I think they are on the ipod because MM4 adds the file size to the label "other". It seems like they are mislabeled as not music.

A debug log seems difficult for my skill level. is it? I have been syncing-deleting-syncing etc and i have all my files synced except 19 that will not work. I've tried a bunch of troubleshooting:
1) I deleted a song from the library and rescanned it back in, but it still won't work
2) deleted a song from a playlist. then synced, then put it back
3)I've attached to Itunes to try and get the structure correct

Files still grayed out.
pomozki

Post by pomozki »

sorry, you need one of the regulars here to advise on that!
I've given up syncing with MM - it's great for editing tags and organizing libraries but I've now gone back to syncing with iTunes again - quicker and more reliable
good luck
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Creating a debug log is really easy, just install the debug version of MM which works exactly the same and run DBGView, than do whatever action you need to create a debug log for, save the log and send it to support when done.

Syncing also works wonderfully in MediaMonkey. Greyed tracks were an issue during the beta process of 4.0.5, but should be resolved. You may want to follow this procedure to see if it solves things:
1) Delete all files on device using MediaMonkey
2) Sync singe file to device using iTunes
3) Auto-Sync as normal using MediaMonkey

That may resolve the issue, if it doesn't a debug log is needed.
meca2u@hotmail.com

Post by meca2u@hotmail.com »

Hi, I'm having issues syncing my iphone 4 (OS version 5.1.1) with MM (latest version - 4.0.6.1501)
even though I don't have any issues syncing my old Ipod classic.
FYI I don't use itunes at all (I only have installed the necessary files in order for MM to recognize the iphone).
Steps:
1- I connect my iphone to my computer.
2- Once I can see my iphone in MM i click on sync. I can see MM deletes the content that is on the iphone and sync the 2 songs I have set to sync.
3- I can see the 2 songs under the iphone. If i double click any of them, they gray out and nothing happens.
4- I disconnect my iphone from my computer
5- Go to my iphone and under the music app there is nothing.

Can someone help me out PLEASE?
rusty

Post by rusty »

meca2u,

At step 3, the songs should have played.

I'd suggest:
1) In MM, delete all of the tracks from the iPhone
2) Set a few tracks to auto-sync, and configure MM to delete tracks that aren't on the sync list
See if that works.

If not, try again, but for step 1, delete the tracks manually in iTunes.

-Rusty