problem witmultiple artists: last one picked; composer name

Get answers about sharing MediaMonkey for Windows 4 with different devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Andre Gosselin

problem witmultiple artists: last one picked; composer name

Post by Andre Gosselin »

I noticed this odd behavior with MM UPNP server for tracks with multiple artists separated with semi-colons in the Artist tag. The list sent to the UPNP client contains in that case the LAST artist name, not the first one. When the tag holds only one name, that name is correctly sent. I was able to confirm this behavior when using 2 different UPNP clients, namely: BubbleUPNP (Android 4) and Foorbar2000 (Win7). In my opinion, using the first one would be more appropriate, as usually this is the most prominent one (eg in classical music). Picking up the last one is IMHO a really bad choice. Another solution would be to send the full artist list (as stored in the tag, with semi-colons separating the names) : all other UPNP servers I know of work like that. This would be the best solution in my sense. Another option would be to use the Album Artist tag contents, if it is defined.

Any way to fix that ?

Also, MM server does NOT send the composer name to the UPNP client. This is different from what I saw on three other servers (TwonkyMedia, Foobar2000, Windows Media). This is a big limitation for some types of music, classical music for example. Is there a way to have MM UPNP server include that metadata in its output ?

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: problem witmultiple artists: last one picked; composer n

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure it sends only the last one and not that the client only reads the last one (I also see this)? I suspect this as the full multiple values is shown when accessing the MediaMonkey server with MediaMonkey client.
Andre Gosselin

Post by Andre Gosselin »

Hi Lowlander,
With the same UPNP client (BubbleUPNP, Android) connected to a different UPNP server (Foobar2000, TwonkyMedia) based on the same set of audio files, I see that the Artist list shows the full Artist tag values (Artist 1; Artist 2; etc) with Foobar and Twonky, whereas only the last one is displayed when connecting to MM server. So it seems that MM server outputs the artist values in a different way than the other two, and that my upnp client reacts differently. If I contact the developper of my UPNP client app, they will tell me that the UPNP server (MM) outputs its artist values in an incorrect manner. Could you help me explaining to the client app developpers what exactly MM does here, to find a solution ?

In my original post, I mentioned that the "Composer" values seem not to outputted by the MM server. Could you throw some light on this issue ?

Thanks for the help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do other servers show Composer? MediaMonkey is supposed to adhere to the standards which only supports a few fields.

Added: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9775
Andre Gosselin

Post by Andre Gosselin »

Hi Lowlander,

Yes. Other upnp servers I tried (Foobar2000, Twonky) do effectively output Composer metadata when connected to the same set of audio files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't have a way to check Composer other than MediaMonkey and just like Artist with multiple values Composer is shown (even with multiple values).
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Andre Gosselin wrote:Hi Lowlander,
With the same UPNP client (BubbleUPNP, Android) connected to a different UPNP server (Foobar2000, TwonkyMedia) based on the same set of audio files, I see that the Artist list shows the full Artist tag values (Artist 1; Artist 2; etc) with Foobar and Twonky, whereas only the last one is displayed when connecting to MM server. So it seems that MM server outputs the artist values in a different way than the other two, and that my upnp client reacts differently. If I contact the developper of my UPNP client app, they will tell me that the UPNP server (MM) outputs its artist values in an incorrect manner. Could you help me explaining to the client app developpers what exactly MM does here, to find a solution ?
MediaMonkey does it according to standard, tech details for the author of BubbleUPnP:

upnp:artist is multi-value property, it means that it can appear more than once in the DIDL-Lite XML, see details here: http://upnp.org/specs/av/UPnP-av-Conten ... ervice.pdf [^] (pages 42, 177)

It means that MM presents Artist1;Artist2;Artist3 as

<upnp:artist role="Performer">Artist1</upnp:artist>
<upnp:artist role="Performer">Artist2</upnp:artist>
<upnp:artist role="Performer">Artist3</upnp:artist>

which is correct and the issue is with the BubbleUPnP client that cannot reads mutli-values and reads only the last artist (Artist3).

Composer is stored within upnp:author according to the standard (see page 178)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Neither Samsung nor Sony TV's read the multiple artists correctly either here.