is there a way to have a full portable version?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

drughetto

is there a way to have a full portable version?

Post by drughetto »

Hi

is there a way to have a full portable version ?

i know there is the option to install media monkey portable , but it leaves lots of registry key

the problem is at my office at work , they don't like to install software , and i don't want to leave traces of media monkey 4

is there a full stealth portable version ?
or a way to make it stealth , no registry writes

thanks
nohitter151

Re: is there a way to have a full portable version?

Post by nohitter151 »

Not sure what you mean, the portable version doesn't write anything to the registry.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
drughetto

Post by drughetto »

nohitter151 wrote:Not sure what you mean, the portable version doesn't write anything to the registry.
yes it does

i run it , and use jv16powertools and other tools and it writes many registy keys
give a look at portablefreeware and search for media monkey or mediamonkey

thanks
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

drughetto wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:Not sure what you mean, the portable version doesn't write anything to the registry.
yes it does

i run it , and use jv16powertools and other tools and it writes many registy keys
Could you give an example? I have tried it in the past and there were no registry keys. MM contains them all in a single file under the "Portable" folder.

zephyr

Registry entries found on machine that executed portable ins

Post by zephyr »

Hi guys,

Running New Win7 build after windows firewall bugged out, stopping my network apps (mm server, hippovnc) from working, ceasing to prompt me for confirmation on how to manage (import policies/rules from working OS/restore defaults... all failed... winblows)

So I've just ran a portable MM install I found (4.1.0.1667) and the OS integration works, ie context menu entries are pointing to the portable exe... regscanner (awesome tool) finds 847 references to MediaMonkey, the hotkey settings are working (globally, currently), so far so good.

Because I have several (native Virtual windows 7) 'builds' , I think I'd like a portable install, if I can manage default programs... does the regsvr32 option achieve this? Is it reversible?

OK, please try regscanner. Invaluable for this kind of analysis. I searched for Mediamonkey, and found 847 entries. Exported to .reg, uploaded

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwsGA1 ... sp=sharing

Is there any information anywhere which explains the impact of a portable (vs 'full' or normal) MediaMonkey install?

Many thanks for the greatest software ever? greatest online community at least, in my humble opinion
Grateful noob
nohitter151

Re: Registry entries found on machine that executed portable

Post by nohitter151 »

zephyr wrote:

Is there any information anywhere which explains the impact of a portable (vs 'full' or normal) MediaMonkey install?
What do you mean by impact? I don't understand your question.

drughetto

is there a full stealth portable version ?

Post by drughetto »

Hi

i download the last version 4.1.4 few days ago (i guess it's the last )

i run the installed and i select portable and the usb stick and on a external hard disk usb3

well , i noticed it writes registry keys

i would love to use at work , i don't want to leave tracks

thanks

ps but are all the skin/themes compatible with the last version ?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

drughetto wrote:Hi i download the last version 4.1.4 few days ago (i guess it's the last )
MMW is at version 4.1.6 now http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... &start=225
drughetto wrote:well , i noticed it writes registry keys.....i would love to use at work , i don't want to leave tracks
If you are checking to see if MM protable leaves registry key entries behind (because, yes, it's true that not all portable programs are "completely" reg free)
you have to make sure the computer you are testing it on has never had the "regular" install on it. If you find some reg entries with a
current portable version installed they could, in fact, be from the old regular install.

Even if you have so called "powerful" uninstallers like Revo, IOBit, etc. that scan the reg for traces, it's possible some things could be left behind in
some scenarios depending on the application.

I use portable and I get registry entries when searching the reg just for the term "mediamonkey".
But it's difficult to tell on my machine because after I built it, I briefly had the regular install on it.

I could go through and try to manually clean the reg out but that is annoying and I'm currently preparing to do a reinstall
of my system anyway (periodic maintenance). I'll try to report back after I reinstall MM portable in a clean reg state.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

hmmm ... using revo pro recently i then did a registry search and found no "mediamonkey" in the registry .. so i think some routines may be better than others
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Ok, I put MM portable on with a clean reg., and yes the registry is littered with entries under the title "mediamonkey".

It seems that all are in ..ROOT. Simple entries for file association purposes, etc. (mostly "User" entries).

Not entirely sure about directly to a usb, but I would assume. I know that, even if installed directly to USB,
it creates a file or two onto the computer (can't remember the filemname(s)).

I would advise not putting it on a computer you wish to remain evidence free.
Also, some uninstallers routines/algorithms "are" better than others but nothing is perfect in every environment/situation.

If you just want something to use for mere listening purposes. I occasionally use a program called Boom Player that is very primitive, light and
portable (it is both computer and library capable). It is just a clickable .exe, however I'm not "absolutely certain" it is reg/comp free.
I can look into it a little more later.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜