MediaMonkey Mobile?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like to see a version of MediaMonkey for mobile devices

You may select 1 option

View results

love26

MediaMonkey Mobile?

Post by love26 »

What are the limiting factors that keep MediaMonkey from being on one's SmartPhone (in my case specifically Moto Q 9h)?

Before long 32 GB storage "cards" will be affordable so it's not memory.

Is it that WM 6.5 (now in late beta?) is inadequate?

The processor runs at 325 MHz - is that a bottleneck?

Love.
Last edited by Lowlander on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added poll
Lowlander

Re: MediaMonkey Mobile?

Post by Lowlander »

It's probably the components that MediaMonkey needs and the interface issues that would need to be solved (MediaMonkey wouldn't work to well on those small resolutions). I believe the WMP mobile is very different from it's desktop counterpart.
polywaffle

Post by polywaffle »

Its a completly different operating system and processor arcitechure. Alot of code would have to be rewritten and like the other poster said, It would not work on such a low resolution screen.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

I don't own a mobile device (and don't intend to either) but it will simply NOT work an such gadget.
What about the scripts, database and SQL requests, skins, and so on.
Strip all this and MediaMonkey is not MediaMonkey anymore.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
love26

Post by love26 »

polywaffle wrote:Its a completly different operating system and processor arcitechure. Alot of code would have to be rewritten and like the other poster said, It would not work on such a low resolution screen.
Its "working" is actually unrelated to the screen at all. Blind people using screen readers, e.g. are not hindered because of the display parameters. Also before the software was ever even started the emergence of devices such as retinal projection will be in place.

I just think that looking forward to Windows Mobile 6.5 operating system and recognizing that these "gadgets" will in a couple of years have the computing power currently associated only with desktop devices.

The Windows Media Player that comes with my phone has the same suckiness as does WMP 11 compared to MM on a desktop machine. What I'm wishing for is at first a replacement for the Mobile WMP from Microsoft. MM is just so much better than that.

Love.
love26

Post by love26 »

"Strip all this and MediaMonkey is not MediaMonkey anymore."

No, it would be MediaMonkey Mobile in the sense that although WMP Mobile is not WMP 11 any more, it still has many of the same characteristics, many not really optimal.

Most of us prefer, on our desktop boxes to make MM the default means of accessing our music. I just want to have an equivalent superiority in mobile computing, which will (as the devices get more sophisticated) dominate the market. There are already more SmartPhones than desktops.

Love.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

love26 wrote:There are already more SmartPhones than desktops.
I'm not sure about this.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
cortneyj1

Post by cortneyj1 »

My Idea of Mobile Media Monkey: A wifi connection to your "home" music files and a system that burst transmits the next 20 or so songs on my Auto DJ to my smart phone. Then once played they are deleted off the phone. The data base function would be connected over the internet so there would be no need to have much music or data on your phone. The quantity ahead the songs were stored could be increases say if you were traveling. Then whenever a good Wifi signal was established another burst of songs would automatically download. This playlist would be concurrent with the home playlist so "last played" data would be up to date across all your media devices with the software.

Just my quick thoughts
Thanks for working to make MMMobile a reality
LowPop

Post by LowPop »

We have a few options when it comes to interfacing or streaming the MMdb with remote devices, MonkeyMote being the best I've seen. I'd like to see this taken one step further with the option to download a song, album or playlist from the MMdb to the connected device. As an example, there is an excellent script for Calibre that does this for books using HFS & an sql odbc connection with integration into the Stanza app. The write up can be found here... http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/making-a-c ... or-stanza/

I mention this because as of today, the only wi-fi sync options for iDevices is through iTunes and man I hate working with iTunes in any capacity!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey for Android can do wifi sync: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=68820
Osley-L

Post by Osley-L »

Definitely a yes for me! :)
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

Lowlander wrote:MediaMonkey for Android can do wifi sync: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=68820
Is there any chance there is a MediaMonkey for iOS in the works?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I personally doubt it.