ALBUMSORT/TSOA tags

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

msherman

ALBUMSORT/TSOA tags

Post by msherman »

Hi. This keeps coming up (I've seen threads on this topic as old as MediaMonkey 2), but it never seems to get implemented.

Can you please add support for an Album Sort field, which maps to the ALBUMSORT flac tag and the TSOA mp3 tag?

Previous requests for this have been rejected because "MediaMonkey users expect that sort of thing to be automatic." That's true as far as using MediaMonkey as a music player goes, but please keep in mind that for many of your users, MM isn't our only player, but rather MM is what we use to manage a music library that's shared with a bunch of other players (Squeezeboxes and iPhones, in my case). I want to be able to set the album sort tags in MM (using a script which I can easily write in MM), so that my sorting is consistent with all my media players.

Thanks!
msherman

Re: ALBUMSORT/TSOA tags

Post by msherman »

Sorry to follow up to my own post. After posting, I found this in the bug db:

http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=2915

This was filed in 2007, and marked low priority, with the comment:
This requirement can also be lessened via support for more custom fields which users can use for this purpose. Consequently, setting this as low priority for now (on the assumption that we will add more custom fields).
That logic makes sense to users who are living inside MM for all their music-playing needs, but it doesn't apply to those of us who are using MM as a manager for a media library that's shared with other players/tools. For those use cases, we need the standard tags to be available, so that we can set the sorting in MM and have it respected in all of our tools.
rycher

Re: ALBUMSORT/TSOA tags

Post by rycher »

msherman wrote:Sorry to follow up to my own post. After posting, I found this in the bug db:

http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=2915

This was filed in 2007, and marked low priority, with the comment:
This requirement can also be lessened via support for more custom fields which users can use for this purpose. Consequently, setting this as low priority for now (on the assumption that we will add more custom fields).
That logic makes sense to users who are living inside MM for all their music-playing needs, but it doesn't apply to those of us who are using MM as a manager for a media library that's shared with other players/tools. For those use cases, we need the standard tags to be available, so that we can set the sorting in MM and have it respected in all of our tools.
Hear, hear! I second that! You would not want us to use iTunes for that purpose ;)
huwy

Sort Album by Year on iPod

Post by huwy »

Normally, albums on an iPod cannot be sorted by year. Looks like iTunes has an additional field 'Sort Album' which can be used on the iPod. I would like to have this in MM, ideally filled automatically with Year / Album and then synced to the iPod.