Upgraded to Win 7 multiple file locations

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

kazadharri

Upgraded to Win 7 multiple file locations

Post by kazadharri »

I have just upgraded to Win 7 from Win xp, and MM is not performing too well and I wonder if it is because of where my files are located. It's symptoms are that when I click on any thing it goes into a MM is not responding hang up for at least 2 minutes before it acts to the mouse click. Or if it does respond it is really slow.

In the C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey folder it looks like exe files, and most of the DLL's are in this folder, and there is a Equalizer, License, plugins, scripts, skins folders are well with some files in each.

But in the folder: C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey it has the Mmediamonkey.ini file, extensions.ini file, and the folder also contains the following folders: Extensions, Metadatacache, plugins, scripts, skins. these folders also have files in them as well.

The Database is on a NAS that is hardcoded in the MM INI file.

Thanks/ Jeff
Lowlander

Re: Upgraded to Win 7 multiple file locations

Post by Lowlander »

The problem most likely is the database on the NAS. Many NAS handle multiple file access poorly (slow performance). You may want to start with using File > Maintain Library with the complete optimization option enabled.

The file locations are expected and can't affect performance as they're all on the same drive.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I guess your problems stem from the DB on the NAS. The MM database is SQlite, it is not very network friendly.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
kazadharri

Post by kazadharri »

I have been using my dbase on a NAS since 2007 and have not had any problems like this until I got a newer "faster" PC at the first on the month and went from Win XP to Win 7. That is the only change. So I am wondering if it was something with the Win 7 setup.

/Jeff
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kazadharri wrote:I have been using my dbase on a NAS since 2007 and have not had any problems like this until I got a newer "faster" PC at the first on the month and went from Win XP to Win 7. That is the only change. So I am wondering if it was something with the Win 7 setup.
Nope, all the other locations you mentioned are standard for Win 7.

I'm sure if you try the DB locally you will notice much improved performance.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.