Send To > Copy {and keep source folder structure}

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

a7Kvy

Send To > Copy {and keep source folder structure}

Post by a7Kvy »

Hi There,

when I use context-menu-command from Media Tree "Send To > Copy" It copy the selected items to the portable device, but all the files together — no folders are created in the target device. This way of copying files works, if I select the last folder from Media Tree, If I choose a "upper" folder, which contains another folders, the command "Send To > Copy" makes no action. Just nothing happens.

Is there any way how to copy entire folder to the portable device and keep folder hierarchy?

Sometimes I really love to have a option to play folders instead Artists / Albums.

Thank you!
nohitter151

Re: Send To > Copy {and keep source folder structure}

Post by nohitter151 »

No, tracks copied to a device will always use the folder structure and file name convention that you specify in your device options. (Options tab > File locations).

You can just change the directory/filename format for each type of file to match your current folder/naming system
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Sizzly

Post by Sizzly »

Hey, a7Kvy.

You're right. Using the Send to > Copy function from the context menu is a bit limited. It doesn't create the hierarchy at all. It just copies the files (as named) to the directory of your choosing. Sometimes this is helpful but considering what it sounds like you're trying to do I'd either recommend doing what nohitter is talking about (set up a USB sync session to the portable device and configure it to use the same structure for the subdirectories as you do for the collection) or use convert format (if you're doing it on the fly and don't want to bother setting up a sync session every time). The draw back to the second method is that you have to be careful with what format you choose or you may end up reducing the quality of the tunes on the copy.

It would be nice if there was such a function from the context menu though.
Rob
DJ Sizzly
http://djsizzly.com
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Must be mm4 issue because send to copy to folder puts them in the folder structer on my thumb drive using mm3.

Ahh! Unless you are selecting the songs from inside mm's my computer area in his directory tree. If you are doing that then contact windows help cause thats what your using.

If you select songs from the list view area mm should copy to folder directory or if you select songs from the library node in mm's directory tree. Unless again it is an issue with mm4.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Post by Guest »

Well,

thank you guys! I did a try, but in my opinion, this default setting should work:

Do I understand well, that it should generate the folder named Album Artist - Album?

But id does not!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Guest wrote:Well,

thank you guys! I did a try, but in my opinion, this default setting should work:

Do I understand well, that it should generate the folder named Album Artist - Album?

But id does not!
Actually it will only use that setting if you right-click > Send to > "Your device" (synchronize)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by Guest »

Awesome!

I always used SendTo > Folder copy. This works!

Thank you for your time guys!
Harlequin

Post by Harlequin »

So was this something we had to do special to get it to work?

Say right now I'm in Music > Genre > Trance.
I want to select all, right-click Send to > Folder (Copy) > N:...and have the folder structure stay the same on N:
But right now all files just end up in the N: root folder.

Any suggestions?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you're sending to a Portable device use Auto-Sync, if you're sending files to a drive use Tools > Auto-Organize Files (set to copy) instead of Send To > Copy to copy files to a folder structure.
Harlequin

Post by Harlequin »

Awesome Lowlander, that Auto-Organize interface is sweet and it worked...

Cheers